Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I never deep fry at home. I don't like the mess, smell, and I don't like wasting so much oil. I indulge in deep fried foods in restaurants, only.

I make a lot of oven fried foods like roasted potatoes and vegetables in olive oil, and frozen French fries. Are French fries better deep fried? Sure, but I can get them on any corner if I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Frying is frying whether it is in a deep fryer or a pan.

There are certain oils that are healthier but again, you are frying.
How can this

be comparable to

??

There are different ways to pan-fry. One involves just enough oil to prevent sticking, and is in no way unhealthy.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
If deep-fat frying is done at the proper high temperature, with enough high-quality oil so that the temperature doesn't drop too much when the food is put in it, the food really doesn't absorb very much of the oil.

If it doesn't get over-heated, the oil can be used several times, although it should be strained between uses to remove any bits of the previously-fried food. Also, when changing the oil, about 1/2-cup of the old oil should be saved and put in with the new oil. Completely fresh oil doesn't cook quite as well as oil that has a bit of used oil added to it.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
How can this

be comparable to

??

There are different ways to pan-fry. One involves just enough oil to prevent sticking, and is in no way unhealthy.
I honestly would not even call that bottom image "frying." I guess we are going into semantics here, but to me frying is when you use a substantial amount of oil. I consider what you showed in that image to be "pan seared. " or sauteed.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
If its fried correctly ther is hardly any grease at all. Deep frying is healthier than pan trying because the large amount of oil can handle the shock of food added. Adding food to a pan with only a few inches of oil will cause the oil temp to drop and the food to absorb more oil.
I agree with this. Also from my experience, deep frying cooks the food more evenly and in less time and it looks better. You don't have to worry about turning the meat in the deep fryer, and less grease splatter. But, this is my experience between the two, I hardly ever use a frying pan these days.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:44 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I honestly would not even call that bottom image "frying." I guess we are going into semantics here, but to me frying is when you use a substantial amount of oil. I consider what you showed in that image to be "pan seared. " or sauteed.
This. ^^^

Old 06-13-2016, 02:47 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I've never used a deep fryer. But just looking at people that tend to use them frequently, lol. Not the healthiest folks. I'm definitely curious about using them on occasion though.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I miss some deep fat comfort foods from French fries to fried clams

love deep fried scallops and chicken tenders...

Old 06-13-2016, 04:33 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can you reuse the oil? How do you store it for the next use?

Having to fill then thriw away the large amount of oil is one of the reasons I've never purchased a deep fat fryer,
The oil remains in the fryer until it needs to be changed. The cover keeps it clear of dust etc. I don't have to change the oil that often, except if I fry chicken or something with a heavy breading. That kills my fryer and I have to clean it. Other than that the oil stays pretty clear. Mine takes about a gallon and a half (or less)to fill.
I keep mine on my kitchen counter. I have a pretty big kitchen, so when it's time to fry, I bring it over to the island. I let it cool overnight, and then put it back. Used oil goes in the empty oil container and placed in the trash. Never put oil/grease down the sink.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:39 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
How can this

be comparable to

??

Please season your food. That poor salmon is naked. Even if you're going to garnish it with a sauce, it still needs seasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink