Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times

Advertisements

I picked up a 5.5 LB choice ribeye roast, bone in, for Christmas. Usually we just do the turkey or ham for Christmas so I'm not sure yet what to do with the roast. Truth be told I've only once before did a roast like this so any tips on how to prep, marinade, season, rub, etc and prepare this gorgeous piece of beef? We like it done medium! Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 01:41 PM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
The beauty of those roasts is that they need very little in the way of prep or seasoning. Just give a good coat of kosher salt and cracked black pepper and roast bone side down. Make sure you bring it to room temperature before cooking. Place the roast in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes and then turn it down to 350. For medium doneness, cook 18 minutes per pound. Make sure you let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
That sounds like a good excuse to make Yorkshire Pudding.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That sounds like a good excuse to make Yorkshire Pudding.
Ok, my good friend has a British brother in law and recently asked if I had ever had Yorkshire pudding. Answer - no, never! What is it, how does it work? I seem to remember reading that it is some kind of starchy thing that's purpose is to soak up the drippings from a roast. Have you done this before?

Old 12-23-2016, 03:20 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
I made prime rib a few days ago using a REALLY simple recipe. Got it out of the refrigerator; rubbed it with olive oil; seasoned it with salt & pepper & minced garlic & thyme; let it sit that way for about an hour (had to stick it in the microwave, turned off of course, so my kitties wouldn't jump up on the counter for a snack!); then roasted it at 450 for 15 minutes, then another 30 minutes or so (that's an extra ~12 minutes per pound, as it was small, just about 2.5 lbs.) at 325, then let it rest for another 15 minutes. That was for medium-rare, NOT medium.

It was delicious!! There were only 2 of us but no leftovers!!

Oh, and Yorkshire pudding? My mom is British so I had it growing up -- I always just thought of it as "soggy bread" so didn't like it much, although I probably would if I had it now as an adult. Here's a recipe for you: Yorkshire Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com . Let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-23-2016, 03:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Ok, my good friend has a British brother in law and recently asked if I had ever had Yorkshire pudding. Answer - no, never! What is it, how does it work? I seem to remember reading that it is some kind of starchy thing that's purpose is to soak up the drippings from a roast. Have you done this before?
We love Yorkshire Pudding, but it rarely turns out well the first time someone makes it. An easier version of Yorkshire Pudding, and one that can easily turn out great the first time, are popovers. I use this recipe for popovers...

Popovers

The best thing about a Yorkshire Pudding is the flavor of the drippings.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I picked up a 5.5 LB choice ribeye roast, bone in, for Christmas. Usually we just do the turkey or ham for Christmas so I'm not sure yet what to do with the roast. Truth be told I've only once before did a roast like this so any tips on how to prep, marinade, season, rub, etc and prepare this gorgeous piece of beef? We like it done medium! Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Karen in nh has a good recipe

here is my 2 cents...

bring roast to room temp (put on counter 45 mins before cooking)
preheat oven to 325...
cook 15-18 mins per lb

using a cooking thermometer if you want medium rare ....cook to 130f take out and let set on counter for 15-20 minutes before serving...for medium take out around 135-140f

do not use any tinfoil,,,,do not tent after you take out of oven,,,,, just season roast and cook uncovered

if you see twine/string around roast- it has been boned and tied already,,,,, (taken off bone and tied back on)
after its cooked....just cut string/twine then carve

if their is no string/twine around roast,,,,,, after it is cooked...you will have to cut roast off bone....then carve/slice

enoy the roast,,,it is a treat, has great flavor...!!!

those bones are my favs....so much flavor

we made over 150 beef rib roasts today for special orders .....
some awesome looking well marbled beef

Old 12-23-2016, 07:34 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I made prime rib a few days ago using a REALLY simple recipe. Got it out of the refrigerator; rubbed it with olive oil; seasoned it with salt & pepper & minced garlic & thyme; let it sit that way for about an hour (had to stick it in the microwave, turned off of course, so my kitties wouldn't jump up on the counter for a snack!); then roasted it at 450 for 15 minutes, then another 30 minutes or so (that's an extra ~12 minutes per pound, as it was small, just about 2.5 lbs.) at 325, then let it rest for another 15 minutes. That was for medium-rare, NOT medium.

It was delicious!! There were only 2 of us but no leftovers!!

Oh, and Yorkshire pudding? My mom is British so I had it growing up -- I always just thought of it as "soggy bread" so didn't like it much, although I probably would if I had it now as an adult. Here's a recipe for you: Yorkshire Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com . Let us know how it turns out!
Ok...now for the stupidest question of the year from me.... When you go to Costco or smiths, what is the prime rib called? I've never seen a package say prime rib.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Ok...now for the stupidest question of the year from me.... When you go to Costco or smiths, what is the prime rib called? I've never seen a package say prime rib.
That is NOT a stupid question at all! Honestly, I almost always have to look up various cuts of beef when I see them listed for sale in my grocery stores' weekly circulars ... I certainly don't have the different cuts memorized. (And it's more confusing because "prime" also means something in terms of grades of beef, but apparently that is NOT what the "prime" in "prime rib" means.) I used to think "steak was steak" and I would try to cook, say, a shoulder cut the same way I would cook a t-bone, and it didn't work (I would wonder why my stove-top steak came out tough instead of tender and delicious) -- and now, at least, I know why. (I also now know which cuts to cook in my slow cooker, where they typically turn out AMAZING!)

Anyway, what I bought is labeled as "rib roast large end," and I figured it was what I normally call "prime rib" (and what I've eaten in restaurants as "prime rib") because it typically goes on sale, where I live anyway, at holiday time. You can also tell a lot by looking at it: it has both bone and a LOT of fat in it, which gives it terrific flavor. Here's a photo of one I cooked a week or two ago, BEFORE I put it in the oven (you can see all the fat):

It was fantastic!! I've bought a bunch of prime rib roasts in the past couple of weeks because they've been on sale -- even at the sale price, they are more expensive than what I usually eat, but they are SO delicious, it's fun to have them when company comes over (or by myself as a special treat!).

Virtually all of my local New England chain grocery stores have had "prime rib" on sale recently for $5.77-$5.99/lb., when it is normally $11/lb. and up. My local grocery store also has "rib roast small end" on sale for $6.27/lb. -- I assume the "small end" is a bit more tender than the "large end," although Mainebrokerman will hopefully chime in -- he's worked in the meat industry for years (decades?) and has answered a ton of questions for me over the years!

MBM, where are you?

Old 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
id like to answer this

a "prime rib" means a rib eye roast,,,,, it can be bone in rib eye roast or boneless rib eye roast

a standing rib roast and a bone in prime rib means the same thing

its a good question because it can be confusing..

you don't see it marked "prime rib" because prime is a grade of beef.... (top grades are prime, then choice, then select, prime grade has rich marbling,,,for flavor)
most rib roasts in grocery stores are "choice grade"

anyways back to the roast,,,,,, a whole rib portion of the critter has 7 ribs,,,,between the chuck and the loin
years ago (and some places still do) will separate a large end from a small end - the large end (closer to the chuck) use to contain a large cap that was quite fatty and would cost .50lb less per pound than the small end (closer to the loin)

Festive, delicious ways to serve bone in ribeye roast?-prime-rib-.jpg

here is a rib roast bone in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink