Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:55 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And we now have a much better idea of just how long a cheesecake can be frozen and remain edible - thanks, OP!
but mine would never have made it to the freezer!

Old 12-27-2016, 08:36 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well clearly Juniors would not stay in business if people did not like it without a crust lol. Strange theory you have.
"Theory"? Let me clarify for you. I didn't state that Junior's was not good. Certainly the cheesecake itself, is yummy! Mine are deelish, too. There are many many good makers of cheesecakes out there - and most do have a crust. Given the choice, if both are set in front of me, or anyone I've talked to about cheesecake (as I already mentioned, I am sort of a well-known cheesecake maker in my family and social circle so we do discuss them) a crust is preferred. But certainly the cheesecake is great, either way.

What I had originally responded to was your comment that a "New York cheesecake does not have a crust". And that is incorrect. What makes a cheesecake a "New York" style, is the interior - it is very creamy and rich, and generally quite thick. Really the crust doesn't even need to be a graham crust - Lindy's original is make of a flour/sugar/butter dough, but today most use graham crackers.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/what-ar...ch-cheesecake/

Old 12-27-2016, 08:40 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
It's a pleasure to meet you Chessie! If a cheesecake has a graham cracker crust I eat the filling right off of it. Those crusts are usually too sweet and also interferes with the smoothness of the filling IMHO.

Back to Junior's. It most certainly has a crust. There is a 1/4 to 1/2" layer of sponge cake on every cake that comes out of there ovens. They are very happy to share their recipe. Just google it.
If they are too sweet, then they made it wrong. As I stated previously, both methods are good. Clearly everyone has their own preferences.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:09 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Talking No doubt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If they are too sweet, then they made it wrong. As I stated previously, both methods are good. Clearly everyone has their own preferences.

Honestly, most times the cheesecakes I eat are from chain restaurants or the frozen ones from the bulk stores on a holiday or family get together so I have no doubt I have not experienced a decent graham cracker crust. I'm certainly no judge. Hell, I scoop the filling out of pumpkin and fruit pies all the time!

So we all can agree that a good cheesecake is pretty bullet proof. Extended time in the freezer or crappy crusts be damned!

Old 12-27-2016, 05:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I might eat it myself but wouldn't serve to guests.
Best answer.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:06 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I would try taking it out and trying a tiny sliver that has the ice crystals on it. If that part is good, you know the rest is. Then pre-cut it like you said and nobody's going to know. Right now you have me craving Junior's with some fresh strawberry slices... o.m.g. Philly homemade style will never hold a candle to it in a billion years. There's another place even better, if it can be believed, called Little Pie Company down in Tribeca that makes the real deal and delivers nationally. They have a website. If you fail I'd check it out. They also make a sour cream apple walnut pie that has me hooked for life. It is literally worth getting fat over, it's that good. Littlepiecompany.com

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 12-27-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink