Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,437,263 times

Advertisements

IMO There is a difference between water boiled in a microwave and water thats boiled in a kettle. It seems to me that when you boil water in a mircowave then add the t-bag the tea doesnt diffuse the same as when water is poured over the tea from a kettle.

I drink black tea, I either use loose leaf assam or Tetleys which one I choose depends on how much time I have and what I'm feeling like that day. I bring back Tetleys from the UK when I visit and when I run out my daughter sends it over for me. Loose leaf I like Teavana and once again if I've recently visited the UK I buy from Whittard of Chelsea or other specialty shops.

For me Lipton and Bigelow are both weak and lack body and I very very rarely drink iced tea or fruit flavoured teas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,670,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I've tried green tea, black tea, sleepytime tea (or whatever you call it), orange tea, even little known PITO PITO tea.

All tea's taste like hot water to me...anybody else have that same experience.
Yes! I've had this issue as well. The key is to use hot, not boiling water. The water temp can make or break the taste of tea. These are the best teas I've tried so far

https://www.harney.com/

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 PM

88,734 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yes! I've had this issue as well. The key is to use hot, not boiling water. The water temp can make or break the taste of tea. These are the best teas I've tried so far

https://www.harney.com/
Harney tea is very good!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,312,959 times
I drink rooibos tea almost exclusively, and it DEFINITELY has different flavor profiles depending on the blend and the length of time I let it steep. I use looseleaf tea only - I do not use store-bought teabags at all.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,358,239 times
I can tell the difference between a Lipton or Tetley tea and Twinings immediately. I prefer a strong black tea in the morning so I buy Twinings Irish Breakfast tea and I leave the tea bag in much longer than the 4 minutes they suggest. I also don't put any cream in my tea until it has steeped for 4 minutes.

After drinking Lipton for years, it started to taste like hot dish water to me so I switched to a better quality tea.

I have had orange zest tea, chamomile, green (yuk) and oolong and they all have their own flavor.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,405,685 times
If you think all these teas taste the same then perhaps tea isnt for you.=
https://www.davidstea.com/ca_en/our-...&page_number=1

Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,997,703 times
I'm a big fan of Twinings as well, especially their black currant and black tea. I am also addicted to the Bigelow I Love Lemon and Darjeeling tea. I have a Mediterranean grocery in my city and have tried some of their Turkish teas. Those were a great change from the same old tea I always drink. I agree that Lipton isn't the best, but I drink it when I have iced tea, which is rare. I've never done loose leaf. It seems messy and I don't drink enough to warrant the cost savings (if any).

Old 01-13-2017, 10:17 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,358,239 times
Yum, the black currant tea sounds good - I think that use that at Jason's Deli for one of their iced tea choices.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 AM

5,512 posts, read 4,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
IMO There is a difference between water boiled in a microwave and water thats boiled in a kettle. It seems to me that when you boil water in a mircowave then add the t-bag the tea doesnt diffuse the same as when water is poured over the tea from a kettle.
Concerning this... it sounds like it's more so HOW you combine them, vs. WHERE you get your boiling water from.

I've actually suspected this, but at work, or if I'm too lazy to break out a pot to boil water on the stove (I don't have a kettle), I'll use 2 cups for this very purpose... one mug to microwave the water. Then use a 2nd mug to put the tea bag in, and pour the microwaved water on top of that.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:42 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,684,268 times
I use this tea maker most of the time, If I use a teabag, I keep it in my cup during the time it takes to drink it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink