Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Chili's is an "upscale restaurant?"
He didn't say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I've never seen this in any take out orders. I order food from local restaurants and they deliver it to my door for no fee. All in boxes, cups, whatever, with cutlery, napkins, chopsticks, condiments, you name it, and they even throw in freebies. I always tip. I think it makes more sense to develop relationships with eateries who appreciate your repeat patronage instead of nickel and diming you for each sheet of aluminum. That is preposterous. I would let them know that either they reverse those charges or imma bring my Tupperware and they can forget future patronage.

Maybe this is regional - here in So Cal the competition is way too high to stay in business very long if the management wants to treat the customers like that. We have literally hundreds of other places to go.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 PM

266 posts, read 259,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Start your own restaurant and see how much those take out containers cut into your profit margin then complain....

Erudite indeed.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 PM

266 posts, read 259,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Maybe this is regional - here in So Cal the competition is way too high to stay in business very long if the management wants to treat the customers like that. We have literally hundreds of other places to go.

I'm in So Cal, Palm Springs to be exact.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Sorry, but those products cost the business money to send out the door. Why shouldn't they price accordingly? Not only that, but it can take more time for someone to put together a to-go order than simply plate it and send it out to the dining room.

All these things cost money, it all adds up in the end.

Do you tip on picking up a to-go order?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:23 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
The cost of packaging takeout orders should be reflected in the menu prices of the items in the order. The customer will never notice the extra 50 cents on the menu but will get ticked off at an extra 50 cents tacked on as a line item. The proprietor is chasing pennies and losing dollars in repeat business.

I tip 10% for takeout.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He didn't say that.
You need to read his statement again.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Start your own restaurant and see how much those take out containers cut into your profit margin then complain....
It won't cut into the profit margin as much as the customers who stop going to that restaurant to avoid getting ripped off on takeout containers!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
It won't cut into the profit margin as much as the customers who stop going to that restaurant to avoid getting ripped off on takeout containers!
exactly: the different tax based on eating in or take out I understand and I have heard of places charging for take out, but I am not patronizing them. Yes there is a charge for the packaging, but what about when you eat in and then ask for a box to take home what you did not eat. How would people feel if they were charged an extra say, .50 for the container? What about those who choose drive thru fast food? How would you feel if suddenly you were charged extra because you were provided with a sack to hold Look at is this way, the more people order takeout the less employees the restaurants have to hire.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Sorry, but those products cost the business money to send out the door. Why shouldn't they price accordingly? Not only that, but it can take more time for someone to put together a to-go order than simply plate it and send it out to the dining room.

All these things cost money, it all adds up in the end.

Do you tip on picking up a to-go order?
Are we back to the tipping thing again? Do I tip on picking up a to-go order? No. I don't tip at Starbucks or a drive-thru; why should people tip on a to-go order? It's totally different from eating in at a restaurant. And patrons don't have to pay for containers when they eat in and take their food home. Why should they pay for containers to take their food to-go? "Because the restaurant wants them to," is not a good reason. Carrying the food in a container is part of the cost of doing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink