Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I've farmed all my life and never heard of ..........." wheat berries "....
My neighbors have grown wheat and I have never seen .."berries" ..on wheat nor "berries" on the oats and barley I raised.
Sheesh, David - What is being referred to when someone says, "wheat berry" is the hull-less wheat kernel in its entirety (bran, germ, endosperm). It's just a conventional name that is widely used and known in culinary terms. "Peanuts" aren't "nuts" either, ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Whole Foods has a bunch of breads in their bakeries, I believe made on site that have very few ingredients, I think some only have 4. Also, what someone else said, at the regular grocery store, the artisan type breads are not displayed with Wonder Bread, they are typically in the bakery section or in baskets by the registers. Though those still have a lot more ingredients that what I've seen at Whole Foods.

The other option, though not quick, is Costco. They bake their own & I put them in my freezer in plastic bags, so I can't check the labels for you, but I'm almost positive that several of their breads have minimal ingredients. I'm thinking of the rosemary olive oil, the sourdough & the ciabiatta. It's so fresh, it's often still warm. Wish I had original packaging here to check the ingredients for you.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:28 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I've farmed all my life and never heard of ..........." wheat berries "....
My neighbors have grown wheat and I have never seen .."berries" ..on wheat nor "berries" on the oats and barley I raised.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_berry

Quote:
A wheat berry or wheatberry is an entire wheat kernel (except for the hull), composed of the bran, germ, and endosperm.[1] Botanically, it is a type of fruit called a caryopsis.[2] Wheat berries have a tan to reddish-brown color and are available as either a hard or soft processed grain[clarify]. They are often added to salads or baked into bread to add a crunchy texture. If wheat berries are milled, whole-wheat flour is produced.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 PM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I was at the grocery store yesterday and really wanted to make toast. I don't buy much bread at home because I rarely eat it outside of breakfast, and I eat breakfast at work.

So I was scanning the labels, looking for a bread that didn't seem too processed. And every loaf had 10-15+ ingredients. Eventually I found a sourdough with flour, starter and salt. But this took 10 minutes!

Why does all packed bread have so much stuff in it?
I live in Italy you can easily find bread with few ingredients...and you better eat it within two or three days or else it'll turn hard as a rock ... .

Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 PM

445 posts, read 771,003 times
Daves killer bread is great. Lots of ingredients (mostly superfoods)

Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
I do often but those places close early. I spend little time at mainstream grocers. And when I go, I remember why I don't go. It is too hard to find minimally processed things. But it seems strange that out of 30 loaves of bread I could only find one with a reasonable ingredient list at Safeway. And the house made stuff was equally processed. How do they make it in-house with all of those ingredients. Do they keep corn syrup in the pantry?
High fructose corn syrup is different from regular corn syrup. Both are sweeteners, but HFCS is so sweet and changed that they can use way less and get the same results so it's cheaper. Sugar in whatever form is hydroscopic which means it hold moisture, so in bread sugar acts much like a preservative to maintain "freshness".

Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Sheesh, David - What is being referred to when someone says, "wheat berry" is the hull-less wheat kernel in its entirety (bran, germ, endosperm). It's just a conventional name that is widely used and known in culinary terms. "Peanuts" aren't "nuts" either, ya know.
oh, I see now.

If you are buying oats with the hulls removed for calve feed it is just called " hulled oats "

One would assume wheat with the hulls removed would simply be called " hulled wheat "

Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
So I was at the grocery store yesterday and really wanted to make toast. I don't buy much bread at home because I rarely eat it outside of breakfast, and I eat breakfast at work.

So I was scanning the labels, looking for a bread that didn't seem too processed. And every loaf had 10-15+ ingredients. Eventually I found a sourdough with flour, starter and salt. But this took 10 minutes!

Why does all packed bread have so much stuff in it?
Buy the bread imported from Germany. Much, much better IMHO.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Buy the bread imported from Germany. Much, much better IMHO.
Or just buy the German bread baked fresh locally.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
You may want to try Dave's Killer Bread. I really like the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds. It does have a long ingredients list but a good part of them is the 21 Grains - and there doesn't seem to be a lot of preservatives in it. It seems to toast better than most other whole grain breads I've tried as well. I will say though, it's hard to beat a good piece of sourdough toast!

Daves Bread INGREDIENTS:
Organic whole wheat (organic whole wheat flour, organic cracked whole wheat), water, 21 Whole Grains and Seeds mix (organic whole flax seeds, organic sunflower seeds, organic ground whole flax seeds, organic un-hulled brown sesame seeds, organic triticale, organic pumpkin seeds, organic rolled barley, organic rolled oats, organic rolled rye, organic un-hulled black sesame seeds, organic millet, organic rolled spelt, organic blue cornmeal, organic brown rice flour, organic yellow cornmeal, organic amaranth flour, organic rolled KAMUT® Khorasan wheat, organic quinoa, organic buckwheat flour, organic sorghum flour, organic poppy seeds), organic dried cane syrup (sugar), organic wheat gluten, organic oat fiber, organic molasses, sea salt, organic cultured whole wheat, yeast, organic vinegar.

I didn't know that Dave's had gone nation-wide...but it sure is good.

I almost wish I didn't know about it, because I was not much of a bread eater before Dave's.. it is that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink