Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a tried-and-true banana bread recipe that you can do completely in a bread machine? I've Googled this and came up with marginal results. Either there weren't any reviews for the recipes or the few reviews were mixed.

I've got some bananas I need to use up and thought that making banana bread would be the best! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 03:39 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i have a regular banana bread recipe--not for machine...sorry

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,685 times
Did you try allrecipes.com? I just looked there, and it looks like they have a few banana bread recipes especially for a bread machine. One reason why there may not be very many banana bread recipes for a bread machine, is that banana bread recipes are more of a "mix and stir" cake-like recipe meaning you don't need to kneed the dough like you would with regular bread. A bread machine is good for cutting down the very labor instensive work of dough kneeding, and you don't need to do that with banana bread.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
Did you try allrecipes.com? I just looked there, and it looks like they have a few banana bread recipes especially for a bread machine. One reason why there may not be very many banana bread recipes for a bread machine, is that banana bread recipes are more of a "mix and stir" cake-like recipe meaning you don't need to kneed the dough like you would with regular bread. A bread machine is good for cutting down the very labor instensive work of dough kneeding, and you don't need to do that with banana bread.
True. Banana bread is more like a cake, like carrot cake. And it doesn't need any kneading.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 AM

Yes, VERY true! I did find a recipe at a Southern cooking website and it said to use the Cake setting on the bread machine, in fact. The recipe turned out quite good! I substituted some ingredients for what I had on hand. It produced a large loaf of banana bread. I tweaked it, though, because the mixture sat around doing nothing for quite a long time. I got antsy, LOL, and shut off the Cake cycle with 15 minutes left before baking and then just pushed the bake button. It worked fine!

Here is the recipe, for anyone interested:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (I really used all-purpose, not bread machine, flour.)
2/3 cup of sugar. (I used 1/3 white sugar, 1/3 light brown sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten (I used 3 large eggs)
1/4 cup sour cream or plain or vanilla yogurt (I used strawberry-banana yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup mashed banana (That's about two bananas)
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans

Preparation:
Into the baking pan measure flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add oil, eggs, sour cream or yogurt and vanilla. (Do NOT put ingredients in this order! Follow your bread machine directions, putting liquidy things in first. I found out the hard way that the flour won't mix completely on the cake cycle if you put the flour in first!)

Insert pan securely; close lid. Select Cake setting and press start. After about five minutes, add mashed banana and chopped pecans. Press Start again, if necessary. (Follow bread machine's instructions for cakes.)

Carefully remove pan from unit. Turn bread out onto cooling rack. Cool thoroughly.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 AM

I forgot to mention that the reason I want to do everything in the bread machine is that it saves electricity and doesn't heat up the house. I use my oven as little as possible -- only for baking big things/quantities -- and I've come to rely on my small appliances quite a bit. We'll be hitting 90-degree temps here in Texas next week!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
oh my god.... teatime, that was AMAZING!!!! I just made it today and only had strawberry yogert and used that instead. My wife has an older bread maker and i put it on dough mode to mix it up until all the dry stuff was gone, left in there for about 5 to 10 min in dough mode. Then moved it into bake mode, took 2.5 hours and when it was done, it was PERFECT. The top was a light brown and the sides were a golden brown. If i could give you a million reputation i would!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Does anyone have a tried-and-true banana bread recipe that you can do completely in a bread machine? I've Googled this and came up with marginal results. Either there weren't any reviews for the recipes or the few reviews were mixed.

I've got some bananas I need to use up and thought that making banana bread would be the best! Thanks!

Banana bread is so easy to make. Not sure why you would want to use a bread machine...

the secret to good banana bread is not overmixing. You only want to FOLD in the flour mixture with a spatula. You can still have a few dry bits. When you overmix, it comes out all rubbery.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Woof, the commit was a bread machine uses less energy then an oven as far as electric. Her receipt was geared towards a bread maker and the bread i made coming from here wasn't 'rubbery' it was easy to cut, easy to eat and very moist.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 26,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

my son has been using a book called "Electric Bread"I found it on amazon.com there is also a version called "Electric bread for kids"I have ordered both and am waiting for them..my son has enjoyed everything he makes in his bread machineI paid 6cents for the book with $3.99 shipping...might be something you'd be interested in..the ones we got are by innovative cooking enterprises or ICE ,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes