Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Why is sushi the "in food" to eat?

Here it is not an "in" food, a huge part of our state population is Japanese.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Uh...no thanks. I'll stick with my hinoki hangiri.
ahh.....food snob
duly noted

Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Here it is not an "in" food, a huge part of our state population is Japanese.
I'm a California girl, strictly mainland, but sushi is my life. It is the only food I can never tire of eating, probably because of all the varieties of ingredients, preparation, and presentation. When I don't have time to make makizushi, we fry up some teriyaki Spam and make musubi (I prepare the rice the same way, learned from a master sushi chef).

It's not a fad here either; I think sushi first started showing up in LA/SF where the mainland is concerned.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's just a rice bowl made from wood.
It's a bit more than that; a good hangiri makes dressing the sushi rice much easier.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:42 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It may be true if you're eating pedestrian-quality sushi rolls, but that's where the "cheaper at home" argument ends. Try sourcing some of the high-end Nigiri sushi ingredients and you'll see just how expensive it can be.

I can make sushi rice, and I can properly prepare fish for sushi, but sourcing five or six ingredients for a decent sushi presentation can be very expensive.

Price an order of hamachi, salmon, tuna, surf clams, uni, unagi, and spot prawns. I think you'll find it much more affordable to go to a decent sushi bar.

BTW - lots of people make sushi rolls at home.
This.

Who wants to go through all of the motions of purchasing so many ingredients, depending on the type and quality of sushi one wants?

Not me.

This the same reason why I tend not to make Korean or Thai dishes from scratch at home. My time is more efficiently spent sitting in a nice restaurant, having someone else mull over all of the ingredients and labor to make such said dish, and me thoroughly enjoying my meal and savoring every bite of it.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
ahh.....food snob
duly noted
I've been preparing sushi for quite some time, and I know the proper tools to use. I don't understand why those who are uninformed feel threatened by others who know what they're talking about.

There is no way you can toss the ingredients used to properly flavor sushi rice into a rice cooker and expect to get "sushi rice" after it's cooked. It's just not going to happen. Now, if you're willing to accept an inferior product, then I suppose it'll work for you.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's just a rice bowl made from wood.
Man I was in a cranky mood when I posted that.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Man I was in a cranky mood when I posted that.
LOL, we all have a few of those moments.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
This.

Who wants to go through all of the motions of purchasing so many ingredients, depending on the type and quality of sushi one wants?

Not me.

This the same reason why I tend not to make Korean or Thai dishes from scratch at home. My time is more efficiently spent sitting in a nice restaurant, having someone else mull over all of the ingredients and labor to make such said dish, and me thoroughly enjoying my meal and savoring every bite of it.
Sounds like a true millennial that you are. Sushi without making it restaurant quality is simple to make and uses fewer ingredients than Thai or Chinese dishes. Sushi is supposed to be simple eats.

I can easily get cooked sushi rice prepared and rolled onto nori sheets and drop in many prepared ingredients like shrimp, raw salmon, and cream cheese for a nice roll. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I often wonder why can't people make sushi, at home?
Who says people don't? We have made sushi at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink