Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Where is the rule that food you like has to be "legitimate cuisine" (whatever that is)?
I have the official cuisine rule book right here.

Let me see... Okay, rule 4325.6789.34a states "Upon such food designated as sushi shall not be put cream cheese."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:55 PM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
In Japan a lot of people make "maki sushi" and "temaki sushi" at home. But the "nigiri sushi" type most people think of when you say sushi is a little more of an art to do it good. No harm in trying though. (I definitely recommend starting with temaki sushi though. That's the easiest, and people enjoy rolling their own.)

Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not if you spell it shiitake.
Good catch. I might be an idiot.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:02 PM

277 posts, read 327,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It is so much work that you have to enjoy the experience, otherwise just not worth the effort for most folks. In my case, I love making it and the sushi I make is better than I can purchase at a restaurant so I win twice.

I spend a couple of hours of prep time on rice and ingredients before I'm ready to begin plating and then I'm pretty much continuously creating dishes throughout the meal. I like to serve each different type individually when there are guests so I'm busy preparing throughout the entire meal. When there are no guests I'll go ahead and plate the entire meal before sitting down. Either way, it's a minimum of four hours kitchen time.

The pics in no special order are salmon, hamachi and a couple of different grades of maguro and chutoro for the nigiri pieces. In the baskets (gunkan maki) the dark ones are sweet marinated ****ake mushrooms, the creamy looking ones are spicy king crab and spicy conch and the uni baskets have just uni (sea urchin) with a sliver of lemon rind and tobiko for garnish. The rolls are usually just cucumber and avocado with salmon, hamachi or tuna. Not pictured but always included is sunomono salad with either octopus or conch.

[The mushrooms that the forum perceives as offensive are s h i t a k e s]
That really is an amazing spread. You've got some talent!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
If anyone else had written this I'd have rolled my eyes, clutched my stomach, and gagged. All at the same time -- I'm flexy like that.

But YOU had to write it. You know what THAT means, don't you? It's going on my "to-make" list. I'm out of peanut butter, but I'll pick some up tomorrow, along with bread. What kind of bread should I use for this delectable lunch item?

PS. Yes, I'm serious. I'm going to make it tomorrow or Sunday. No joke.
LOL! I certainly can't guarantee you'll love it - it's definitely a punch-you-in-the-face sandwich, and you've got to love those funky, SE Asian flavor combos - but I think it's a thousand times better than a plain ol'pb&j. I'm all about balancing the six flavor components, and - except for missing the bitter - this one does it for me. It's basically taking that delicious, spicy-sweet-salty-earthy dipping sauce that goes with your Vietnamese spring rolls, balancing it with the fresh, tangy, crunchy, sourness of the pickles, and putting it on a sandwich. Sour pickles, sweet, salty & umami peanut butter and hoisin, and spicy sriracha. It's a delicious abomination, and it "makes sense" from a flavor-balancing perspective.

I saw an earlier thread about what to do with pickled green tomatoes (sweet and sour!). People kept posting how icky they thought they were. No way! It's a COMPONENT that can add sweet and sour to ANYTHING and make food taste awesome by bringing it to life with that tanginess. Of course it's terrible and out of balance if you're eating them straight out of the jar.

Anyway, I hope you didn't hate my crazy sandwich. It IS weird, I know.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
LOL! I certainly can't guarantee you'll love it - it's definitely a punch-you-in-the-face sandwich, and you've got to love those funky, SE Asian flavor combos - but I think it's a thousand times better than a plain ol'pb&j. I'm all about balancing the six flavor components, and - except for missing the bitter - this one does it for me. It's basically taking that delicious, spicy-sweet-salty-earthy dipping sauce that goes with your Vietnamese spring rolls, balancing it with the fresh, tangy, crunchy, sourness of the pickles, and putting it on a sandwich. Sour pickles, sweet, salty & umami peanut butter and hoisin, and spicy sriracha. It's a delicious abomination, and it "makes sense" from a flavor-balancing perspective.

I saw an earlier thread about what to do with pickled green tomatoes (sweet and sour!). People kept posting how icky they thought they were. No way! It's a COMPONENT that can add sweet and sour to ANYTHING and make food taste awesome by bringing it to life with that tanginess. Of course it's terrible and out of balance if you're eating them straight out of the jar.

Anyway, I hope you didn't hate my crazy sandwich. It IS weird, I know.
I'm eating one RIGHT NOW!!! I'm not kidding!!!

I tried the first one (Saturday) with hoisin sauce but -- although I love hoisin -- I found it too sweet. So Sunday's sandwich was only peanut butter, pickles, and sirarcha. Same for the one that I'm eating RIGHT NOW!!!

Hahahahaha!! I'm addicted.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm eating one RIGHT NOW!!! I'm not kidding!!!

I tried the first one (Saturday) with hoisin sauce but -- although I love hoisin -- I found it too sweet. So Sunday's sandwich was only peanut butter, pickles, and sirarcha. Same for the one that I'm eating RIGHT NOW!!!

Hahahahaha!! I'm addicted.
YESSSS!!!!! Dawn, you just made my day! I love it! Thanks for validating my strangeness; Maybe we'll start a new sandwich craze...

Old 03-06-2017, 11:03 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Making your own car isn't cheaper, so that's patently untrue. I mod many cars.

If you never heard of cream cheese with sushi you obviously are clueless.

That's the idea, similar to having your smoked salmon with cream cheese on a bagel but heathlier without the huge carbs. In fact you can use lox, cream cheese, rolled into sushi rice and nori for a very taste roll instead of using regular raw salmon.

And so what? Whats moding got to do with making a car?
I'm talking about making a car - it is cheaper than buying the equivalent car new. I've done it in both the Philippines and the UK. You are entirely wrong (not that you even seem to understand the difference between modifying vs making).

I asked my Omakase chef on Friday if he'd ever heard of cream cheese in sushi. He's from Osaka. After three different descriptions, because apparently the idea was entirely alien to him, he told me no, never heard of such a thing. I'm sure he's also clueless. No doubt he's also not heard of other sushi abominations either.

But of course you seem to know what you're talking about. As long as its not cars or sushi of course.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
YESSSS!!!!! Dawn, you just made my day! I love it! Thanks for validating my strangeness; Maybe we'll start a new sandwich craze...
Bahahahahaha!!!

It's already partially done:

https://www.google.com/search?source...7j0l4.1268j0j7

Hilarious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink