Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

I like to add green vegetables like broccoli, something orange like carrots, maybe mushrooms, almost always onions, starch, which can be potatoes, rice, pearl barley or sweet potatoes, and seasonings like liquid smoke, rubbed sage (for beef or pork) rosemary and oregano for fish or fowl, lemon pepper seasoning, or whatever tickles your tastebuds. I sometimes use a very light touch of tabasco, not enough to even taste the hot, but on a subliminal level it will really make the flavors pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Same here and I just noticed the OP said canned turkey. I've never seen that
What I came away with when I grabbed a can off the shelf.

A, B, and C.

A: There is a lot of canned fish on my shelf but didn't want fish since I wanted leftovers.

B: Didn't want to use my brisket since the cooked is running low (pounds in the deep freeze) and I am saving it for tortilla meals.

C: Just as it might have been turkey, so it might have been chicken or canned beef.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
So many possibilities... I'd avoid loading green veggies into poultry stew though (they overpower the flavour of the meat)... stick to root veggies as the main additions. Same for pork.

For red meat, I'd add the green veggies. Root veggies and beef pretty much mean it's stew to me...

Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What I came away with when I grabbed a can off the shelf.

A, B, and C.

A: There is a lot of canned fish on my shelf but didn't want fish since I wanted leftovers.

B: Didn't want to use my brisket since the cooked is running low (pounds in the deep freeze) and I am saving it for tortilla meals.

C: Just as it might have been turkey, so it might have been chicken or canned beef.
No, I wasn't asking why you used turkey lol...I'm saying I've never seen canned turkey or even beef.

I've seen canned hams and certain canned fish but never other meats. Good to know about them and have on hand during storm seasons

Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
No, I wasn't asking why you used turkey lol...I'm saying I've never seen canned turkey or even beef.

I've seen canned hams and certain canned fish but never other meats. Good to know about them and have on hand during storm seasons
Quite a while ago, I did a post about canned beef. Basically, I've only found the canned beef from America to be useful for stew base. Just something about it that makes it bland, to me, for use as anything else such as for sandwiches.

NOW, there is a canned meat (horse?) from Brazil that I bought once at the HEB and I still have a few cans on my shelf. It is marketed for Mexican dishes (tacos, enchiladas, etc) and I use a can every once in a while.

The main reasons why I don't use those cans that often is that they are twice the size or so of the standard 5.5 oz. That's a lot of meat to have to use once the can is open before it goes to waste ...... and taco wise, by the way, I am more of a fish person. Another factor is that the can design is like a 55 gallon drum, slight curves in and out, so it is difficult to get all the packed meat out, even with rinsing and shaking.

It is, however, as mentioned above, a nice thing to have in emergency supplies since it does have a pop top.

Getting back to more general, around here, canned meat comes in turkey, chicken, ham, beef, & the fishes and it is relatively cheap, running in the vicinity of a $1/can, more or less. So on this shopping trip or that, that aisle is always one to check and I am likely to pickup cans, certainly on the fishes and home supply dependent on the beefs, in each pass.

About the only complaint I might have with the cans is when the contents are packed meat and not shreds, like tuna, or whole fish, like sardines or mackerel, and they leave the can like a hockey puck. They won't break up even in boiling water so one way or another, it has to be broken up manually.

AS THINGS GO, I finished the turkey and bean stew from Monday this Wednesday night, so it did supply two days of meals.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Depends to some extent on what the stew meat is, but anything that tastes good in a thick soup or a sheet-pan supper is good in a stew, including turnips, celery, carrots, parsnips, and chunx of cabbage. Just a matter of what you like, really.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I can't imagine stew with canned meat. Most of the stew flavor comes from browning the meat (dredged in flour), along with the sauce.

Any way: mushrooms, celery, spinach (I throw that in everything!!), string beans, onions, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Onions, carrot, potato, celery. Sometimes I will add some other root vegetables, like turnip and parsnips. I would never add peppers, because I think the flavor is too overpowering. I also never add corn, because I find the sweetness doesn't work for me.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:23 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Quite a while ago, I did a post about canned beef. Basically, I've only found the canned beef from America to be useful for stew base. Just something about it that makes it bland, to me, for use as anything else such as for sandwiches.

NOW, there is a canned meat (horse?) from Brazil that I bought once at the HEB and I still have a few cans on my shelf. It is marketed for Mexican dishes (tacos, enchiladas, etc) and I use a can every once in a while.

The main reasons why I don't use those cans that often is that they are twice the size or so of the standard 5.5 oz. That's a lot of meat to have to use once the can is open before it goes to waste ...... and taco wise, by the way, I am more of a fish person. Another factor is that the can design is like a 55 gallon drum, slight curves in and out, so it is difficult to get all the packed meat out, even with rinsing and shaking.

It is, however, as mentioned above, a nice thing to have in emergency supplies since it does have a pop top.

Getting back to more general, around here, canned meat comes in turkey, chicken, ham, beef, & the fishes and it is relatively cheap, running in the vicinity of a $1/can, more or less. So on this shopping trip or that, that aisle is always one to check and I am likely to pickup cans, certainly on the fishes and home supply dependent on the beefs, in each pass.

About the only complaint I might have with the cans is when the contents are packed meat and not shreds, like tuna, or whole fish, like sardines or mackerel, and they leave the can like a hockey puck. They won't break up even in boiling water so one way or another, it has to be broken up manually.

AS THINGS GO, I finished the turkey and bean stew from Monday this Wednesday night, so it did supply two days of meals.

I would never buy horse meat. I do buy the cans of corned beef from Argentina, though. I hope it is beef.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
I really like adding mushrooms to stews and casseroles. I cut them into large chunks, in size similar to other vegetables. They're inexpensive and fill you up quite well. They also have an earthy, almost meat-like flavor and texture as an added bonus. Portabella mushrooms work best, since they're spongy and absorb the flavor of the sauce, but white button mushrooms work fine too.

To improve the appearance of any stew, sprinkle in a little bit of turmeric. It'll add an appetizing golden-yellow color. If you don't like the flavor of turmeric, use Vegeta instead (a Croatian salt-like spice). It has the same color, and a regular salty flavor with no extra tastes. The only catch is that it contains MSG.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-17-2017 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink