Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:15 AM

194 posts, read 163,328 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just snooty, but anything in the realm of McD's pick 2 for $5 where that makes the cost of a quarter pound hamburger $2.50 each or Burger King's $1.29 for 10 nuggets (I think that was the deal) where each nugget is 13 cents... that's just not good. It's gross to be frank. How in the world does that meager amount of money satisfy the payments required to each person that is included in the process of getting that food to me, the cost of transportation and storage AND ensuring that the food is natural. In my mind doing all of those things is impossible, therefore the food is not even close to being natural or healthy.

To OP: personally, I would gently nudge my friend to try new places, if you have the money offer to help pay the bill if cost really is such a concern. If that doesn't work I'd do what everyone else has suggested- just get a salad or a yoghurt parfait. Heck, pick something up on the way to meet them.

It would be absolute torture for me to eat fast food once a week much less multiple times. Hope you get this straightened out for your peace of mind and your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 03:52 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,531,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sounds more of a case where you had a bad batch of milkshake or food poisoning.

Regardless, I was very sick and don't even want to venture a guess as to what was in that Shamrock Shake, but it was bad enough to turn me off "fast food" of the drive-thru variety forever.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
I cant handle fast food like I was once able to...
Every once in a while it's an ok go-to but mostly if I want a quick and easy I'm buying a sub from somewhere..

Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
One problem is I have a close friend who LOVES going out to eat at fast food joints because it's cheap and he doesn't cook much. Literally, everyday, sometimes, twice a day he will go out to eat. Surprisingly, he isn't too overweight because of it. So every time I hang out with him, we usually go to a cheap fast food joint. We hang out maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I think the fast food is making me sick though. I notice when I don't eat it for a few days, my stomach feels less bloated and my nose doesn't itch as much. And I also feel like I have more energy and more alert.
Geez. Just tell your friend you want to eat a bit healthier...wtf... its not that hard.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:20 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
I have mostly cut out fast food this year. Maybe once a month and only my favorite place (regional chicken/biscuits chain...Bojangles). I also cut out soda. Never felt better and have lost about 20 lbs.

Fast food and processed food is the tobacco product of the 21st century. Everyone does it because it makes them feel good and is "cheap"....but processed meat is now the leading carcinogen in the US; well surpassing tobacco products.

Fast food is fine every once in a while. But I could never go back to my college/early 20s days when fast food was 3+ meals a week. That habit is causing chronic illness and death to an insanely high amount of people.

FWIW to the OP..... tell your friend you don't want to eat fast food. If they get that upset about not eating there or at the very least you not eating there with them...probably not a friend worth having in the first place.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:57 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have mostly cut out fast food this year. Maybe once a month and only my favorite place (regional chicken/biscuits chain...Bojangles). I also cut out soda. Never felt better and have lost about 20 lbs.

Fast food and processed food is the tobacco product of the 21st century. Everyone does it because it makes them feel good and is "cheap"....but processed meat is now the leading carcinogen in the US; well surpassing tobacco products.

Fast food is fine every once in a while. But I could never go back to my college/early 20s days when fast food was 3+ meals a week. That habit is causing chronic illness and death to an insanely high amount of people.

FWIW to the OP..... tell your friend you don't want to eat fast food. If they get that upset about not eating there or at the very least you not eating there with them...probably not a friend worth having in the first place.

.......(2nd paragraph , last sentence ) I sure hope you aren't passing on that uninformative opinion as afact.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
.......(2nd paragraph , last sentence ) I sure hope you aren't passing on that uninformative opinion as afact.
It's not my opinion...it is that of the WHO...

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/w...es-cancer.html

Pretty widely known at this point. Processed meat doesn't cause "more" or "worse" cancer than smoking necessarily.....but FAR more people consume excess amounts of processed meat than smoke cigarettes; thus processed meat leads to more cases of cancer than smoking. It's a pretty straightforward concept.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
It's not my opinion...it is that of the WHO...

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/w...es-cancer.html

Pretty widely known at this point. Processed meat doesn't cause "more" or "worse" cancer than smoking necessarily.....but FAR more people consume excess amounts of processed meat than smoke cigarettes; thus processed meat leads to more cases of cancer than smoking. It's a pretty straightforward concept.
"processed meat "
McDonalds doesn't have Spam on their menu.

I have never heard of ground beef ( aka hamburger) ever referred to as " processed meat "

Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"processed meat "
McDonalds doesn't have Spam on their menu.

I have never heard of ground beef ( aka hamburger) ever referred to as " processed meat "
.......wow.......

Old 05-07-2017, 03:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
One problem is I have a close friend who LOVES going out to eat at fast food joints because it's cheap and he doesn't cook much. Literally, everyday, sometimes, twice a day he will go out to eat. Surprisingly, he isn't too overweight because of it. So every time I hang out with him, we usually go to a cheap fast food joint. We hang out maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I think the fast food is making me sick though. I notice when I don't eat it for a few days, my stomach feels less bloated and my nose doesn't itch as much. And I also feel like I have more energy and more alert.
Get a water, bring your own food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink