Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

I just came across this book and I thought that I'd share the find with you:

Grocery: The Buying and Selling of Food in America by Michael Ruhlman.

It's not a history of grocery stores; it's about... well, go read the synopsis. I think it sounds entertaining and interesting, and I thought that you might think so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
It does sound interesting, I'll have to remember to download it for my next trip, seems that's the only time I can read more than three pages without falling asleep.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:59 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just came across this book and I thought that I'd share the find with you:

Grocery: The Buying and Selling of Food in America by Michael Ruhlman.

It's not a history of grocery stores; it's about... well, go read the synopsis. I think it sounds entertaining and interesting, and I thought that you might think so too.
I like Michael Ruhlman. I think I've all of his books except Salumi and Charcuterie, and that's only because neither is one of my main food interests. The Making of a Chef and The Soul of a Chef were, if not his first books, then among his first books, and he has never been a less than interesting food writer.

https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Ruhlm..._cont_ebooks_1

A food book I'm enjoying right now is American Cake, by Anne Byrn. Baking cakes has always been one of my major food interests.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Cake...+by+anne+byrne

Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
the modern day grocery store concept is credited to Clarence sanders in 1918 the two biggest factors were the automobile (could build outside of mainstreet much cheaper and get there by car ) and the 40 hr work week .. (cashncarry) not seasonal credit

Clarence sanders built an empire of piggly wiggly stores...and he also came up with the very first drive thru in 1941 called the keydoozle,,,,, you pull the lever the grocery item would fall down and you would grab it.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50
It does sound interesting, I'll have to remember to download it for my next trip, seems that's the only time I can read more than three pages without falling asleep.
I took a gander,does look interesting........ I havent really read a book in a long time but with this who knows?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I'll recommend a book abut food:
"What to Eat" by Marion Nestle -- it is NOT a diet book, but about the politics of food and the industrial food complex. I think the publisher picked the title so it sounded like a diet book.
-- why you can't really trust that fish labeled wild caught -- IS wild caught, so you could be paying more for nothing
-- why EGGS fall under the FDA, but chickens fall under AG Dept.
-- why so few safety inspections are done (it's scary)
-- all about milk and sugar (and other subsidies), how they started, why some still exist
-- how. the sugar industry fought to keep Stevia OUT of the sugar aisle so no one could find it
-- how major food companies fought against organics -- until the could get in on it themselves, now they're all for it
-- why you see coupons for processed food, but not healthier produce
-- why dairy and meat producers work together, but produce growers don't
-- why Europe doesn't trust American food (GMOs, etc)
-- why the supermarket is laid out the way it is

Other books about food I highly recommend:
-- "In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma"

And if you like food TV shows you've got to read:
"From Scratch" -- inside the Food Network
" Watching What we Eat" the evolution of TV cooking shows

Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
DawnMTL I'll be picking this up! For sure! Thanks so much for the tip! I've had a "thing" for grocery stores and how they work since I was a kid. I know, weird. But so am I so meh - they cancel each other out.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
DawnMTL I'll be picking this up! For sure! Thanks so much for the tip! I've had a "thing" for grocery stores and how they work since I was a kid. I know, weird. But so am I so meh - they cancel each other out.
Hahaha! Twinsies! When I moved to the States, I *loved* going grocery shopping because there were so many things there that weren't/aren't available in Canada. My then-husband thought that I was insane. In all the years that I lived in the U.S., I never grew out of the fixation. Now I'm back in Canada so it's same old, same old. But I'm moving to a new city next week, so *some* things will be different and I'm looking forward to that to a perhaps inappropriate degree. So, yeah, twinsies.

Please let me know if the book is any good. I won't be reading much (I've got packing to do... and then UNpacking), but it's on my "to read" list.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
It sounds like an interesting book! I love going grocery shopping, and always have. Hope to check it out - but I do my books the old-fashioned way. The evolving changes in how food is marketing and presented to customers intrigue me. The history of grocery stores has always held a fascination for me - my grandparents owned an old-fashioned corner grocery in Chicago for a while. Interestingly, my daughters and cousin all share this interest too. Must be a family gene getting passed down!!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
It sounds like an interesting book! I love going grocery shopping, and always have. Hope to check it out - but I do my books the old-fashioned way. The evolving changes in how food is marketing and presented to customers intrigue me. The history of grocery stores has always held a fascination for me - my grandparents owned an old-fashioned corner grocery in Chicago for a while. Interestingly, my daughters and cousin all share this interest too. Must be a family gene getting passed down!!
Hi!

By "but I do my books the old-fashioned way," I take it that you mean paper over Kindle. (I won't hold that against you. ) It's a new book, so it's only available in hardcover now, but it'll be in paperback soon, I'm sure.

I love that you have a family grocery gene! Maybe we're long-lost cousins or something.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy the book if you decide to read it. (I hate suggesting a book that I haven't read and, therefore, can't properly recommend. But alas... I did.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink