Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 AM

132 posts, read 107,473 times

Advertisements

Since this great country of ours is so vast, there are some foods with multiple names. The name you use usually depends on where you live or where you were raised. As an example, what do you call a long roll with a variety of fillings? Some answers could be hoagie, sub or submarine sandwich.

Here's my list of foods with more than one name and what I call them:

Hoagie
Hotdog
Soda
Pancake
Green Bean (Growing up I said string bean. Somewhere along the line it changed for me. I don't know why.)
Pizza
Stuffing
Frosting

I was raised in the Philly Suburbs and have spent the huge majority of my life here.

Do you call any of these foods by a different name? Make your list and add where you live and/or where you were raised, depending on which location you think influenced your choice. If you come up with more examples of "same foods, different names" please add to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
What other names are there for pizza?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
I think the US is mostly homogenized on food. There some regional things. I lived/grew up in MN but in Wisconsin I saw advertising for pastys, I didn't know what it was. Never had grits or black-eyed peas(a new year thing for good luck) until I lived in Texas in the mid 80's. Never drank ice tea much until Texas. Didn't have bottomless cups for ice tea like there is for coffee in MN until not that long ago.

In Texas when you said pop it meant any flavor but soda meant coke. (or was it the other way around)

Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM

132 posts, read 107,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What other names are there for pizza?
My husband was raised in northern Jersey. He says pie sometimes. I've also heard people say pizza pie. It's like soda, pop and soda pop.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
My husband was raised in northern Jersey. He says pie sometimes. I've also heard people say pizza pie. It's like soda, pop and soda pop.
I've heard this - and it struck me as odd the first few times because a pie to me means something with a lid - normally pastry lid but possibly mashed potato. A pizza definitely wasn't a pie, and a pizza pie - well that would be a weird thing.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Another weird one (to me) is calling chuck "hamburger"

Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Another weird one (to me) is calling chuck "hamburger"
I've seen people write "hamburg" instead of "hamburger." At first I thought they just forgot to type the "er" at the end. Then I kept seeing it. I figured it was a regional thing but I always say "er" in my head when I read it.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
In Chicago, they call that bread-bowl full of sauce: "Pizza".

Also there seems to be a North/South - Iced Tea/Sweet Tea difference.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I think the US is mostly homogenized on food. There some regional things. I lived/grew up in MN but in Wisconsin I saw advertising for pastys, I didn't know what it was. Never had grits or black-eyed peas(a new year thing for good luck) until I lived in Texas in the mid 80's. Never drank ice tea much until Texas. Didn't have bottomless cups for ice tea like there is for coffee in MN until not that long ago.

In Texas when you said pop it meant any flavor but soda meant coke. (or was it the other way around)
Actually, they're all sodas down here. Pop is from up north somewhere. Coke is Coke everywhere, if it's specifically what you're asking for. You may have lived around a lot of snowbirds when you heard those terms.

Grits aren't big in Texas. I for one was introduced to grits by my mother who was from the Bahamas. We do use "burger" in place of hamburger a lot in Texas. "Q" for BBQ or BBQ for barbecue.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Saxton
I guess I thought grits were just a southern thing. People were eager to get me to try "southern" food when we first moved there. My in laws in Arkansas ate grits and it was on menus in restaurants. Yeah, now that you mention it, it was the pop they didn't use but there was someone that got me confused about the soda thing, she was from Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink