Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how each country has their own tolerance and availability of spicy foods.

I'll make my list, starting with highest tolerance/availability to lowest tolerance/availability.

What are your thoughts?

Thailand: Most dishes have some element of spicy. They even have words in Thai for the different levels of spicy.

India: Pretty close to Thai, but there are some dishes without heat.

Mexican: Not all dishes have heat, but the ones that do are pretty dang hot. There are lots of Mexican hot sauces on the market.

Korean: Not as spicy as Indian and Thai, but it's still got some heat to it. Like Indian, not all dishes have spice.

Ethiopian: I've only had a few Ethiopian dishes. Only 1/5 had heat to them, but I didn't find the level of heat to be anywhere close to Indian or Thai.

Chinese: Most dishes aren't at all spicy. Szechuan style is maybe the only exception.

Italian: There are a few spicy sauces, but most Italian dishes are mild.

Japanese: I've never heard of a spicy Japanese dish.

American: Most American dishes have no level of spicy. Most Americans have a very low tolerance to spicy foods. The interesting thing is that America is home to the "you'll die if you use this" hot sauces. But I think those are more for macho challenges.

European: I don't think I've ever had anything spicy anywhere in Europe. Exception: Hungary with paprika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Most Americans have a very low tolerance to spicy foods.
I found your list interesting; basically agree except for the bolded. I think that is very dependent on where you are. Most people I've met on the West Coast / Southwest really enjoy spicy foods, especially Mexican. I do have a perhaps outdated stereotype of Midwesterners only liking bland foods, though.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I found your list interesting; basically agree except for the bolded. I think that is very dependent on where you are. Most people I've met on the West Coast / Southwest really enjoy spicy foods, especially Mexican. I do have a perhaps outdated stereotype of Midwesterners only liking bland foods, though.
Good point! I'm originally from NC. Most people in that part of the country do not like spicy foods. They'll use a little bit of black pepper, but that's it. Interestingly enough, I find food in the Midwest and on the East coast to be very bland. Southern food isn't at all bland, it just isn't spicy.

When I first moved to the Midwest, I was surprised to see that their green beans are barely seasoned. Southern green beans are usually cooked to death, but have ham hock, and a variety of seasonings.

I have no experience with the Southwest or West coast, but I suspect that they have a higher tolerance to spicy foods as the local cuisines are based on Mexican.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,618 times
Quote:

Chinese: Most dishes aren't at all spicy. Szechuan style is maybe the only exception.

American: Most American dishes have no level of spicy. Most Americans have a very low tolerance to spicy foods. The interesting thing is that America is home to the "you'll die if you use this" hot sauces. But I think those are more for macho challenges.
Most of the southern part of China love spicy food, Sichuan and Hunan provinces are known for their spicy dishes.

I don't agree that American dishes have no level of spicy. of course, it all depends on what you consider an American dish. I have had some pretty spicy chili and BBQ sauces, for examples.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Japanese: I've never heard of a spicy Japanese dish.
That's where the wasabi comes into play!

That said, I never use it because I think it drowns out the delicious flavor of the actual dish.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's where the wasabi comes into play!

That said, I never use it because I think it drowns out the delicious flavor of the actual dish.
Is real wasabi spicy? Never had it. I've read that the wasabi we use in the US is actually just green colored horseradish paste because it's cheaper than the real stuff.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Spicy tolerance is not by country it is by individual. Tradition is is not the same as tolerance.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Is real wasabi spicy? Never had it. I've read that the wasabi we use in the US is actually just green colored horseradish paste because it's cheaper than the real stuff.
But horseradish *is* spicy.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
But horseradish *is* spicy.
It's spicy, but it's a different kind of spicy than most peppers. The spiciness only lasts a few seconds. I was wondering if real wasabi has the same flavor as the stuff here in the US.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I do agree with the statement that most American dishes are not spicy (except some BBQ sauces - most are sweet/spicy), chili and chicken wings. Most are also pretty bland - the common spice used is just salt, pepper and garlic. Perhaps that's the way at restaurants - cater to everyone, and let people season the dishes to their own preferences.
I don't care about super spicy dishes - the heat just burn the tongue and lips, and mask the taste of the meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink