Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 03:54 PM

22 posts, read 16,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm looking for low-cost these days so prepped meals aren't really on the agenda for me.
Yet you felt the need to fill the thread up with nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Step off. The only reason my husband ate decent home cooked meals when he worked 60 + (who knows how how many more hours a week) was because I cooked. He was often home so late that I had to warm it up when he came home. I'm surprised he could stay awake long enough to eat. Tell us how much you cook when you work more than 80 hours.
Thank you.

This thread is really crazy.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KernalPanic View Post
I'm glad that I'm not alone. Runswithscissors, thank you for not being one of these know-it-alls who know what we need better than we do.
I don't purport to tell you what you need. I'm just telling you what is possible outside of common excuses.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Just looked around the internet and saw a few personal chefs that might be of interest to you:

https://www.thumbtack.com/nj/morristown/personal-chefs/

Frequently Asked Questions | Amy Casey
Thanks, I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's the issue -- when you start doing this, the state gets involved and you need permits and pass inspections... I can't make lasagna and sell it to you, with out a whole passle of hassle from health regs.

A old woman just got in a whole lot of trouble for selling homemade refrigerator jam to neighbors. For just these reasons. The FDA nailed her.

I looked, cooks will do the shopping and cooking at your home... look at the website hireachef.
Gotcha, makes sense.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't purport to tell you what you need. I'm just telling you what is possible outside of common excuses.
Nothing about me is "common". You just made assumptions and even after I explained the big difference you still dug in and are here arguing.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:01 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's the issue -- when you start doing this, the state gets involved and you need permits and pass inspections... I can't make lasagna and sell it to you, with out a whole passle of hassle from health regs.

A old woman just got in a whole lot of trouble for selling homemade refrigerator jam to neighbors. For just these reasons. The FDA nailed her.

I looked, cooks will do the shopping and cooking at your home... look at the website hireachef.
Very good points. The lady in my mom's hometown does this out of a certified kitchen. It's a mom and pop type business but it is certified and inspected. Great points!

Old 09-04-2017, 04:02 PM

26,217 posts, read 49,052,722 times
From reading the postings here it seems there are some areas of differentiation.

1. Ready to eat food as delivered by Pizza shops, Chinese, etc, where an eatery delivers what it cooks.
2. Ready to cook food as delivered by Blue Apron, or farm shares, that you must prepare and cook.
3. Third party firms like Take Out Taxi (TOT), a delivery service for some eateries but TOT is not an eatery.
4. Personal chefs who prepare meals for people.

Sounds like our busy OP needs either 1, 3 or 4, or a combination of that. He has no interest in 2.

I recall there was a sports talk show host who had a week's worth of Chinese food delivered to his apartment every Sunday and that was his food for the week. Can't recall his name, but that is rather extreme way to get meal service.

In the DC area we had TOT; you'd call them, place an order from their list of menu's for participating eateries. TOT would fax your order to that eatery, pick it up, pay that eatery menu price less 30%, then deliver it to you at the listed menu price. IIRC these services are localized businesses and the name varies from city to city. Some eateries do not participate in a TOT scheme as they can't afford the 30% hits on revenue.

Lastly there are those eateries who have curbside pickup for call ahead orders, but that doesn't meet the OP's wish for a delivery service.

There are meal prep services found in Craigslist for NJ/NY but it might be more productive for the OP to post his own ad there for "meal prep and delivery" service for xxxxxx city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I didn't read all of the responses but, wow, harsh responses. The OP doesn't cook, doesn't like to cook, doesn't want to cook, doesn't have time to cook. End of story. He should have just come on here and, without explanation, asked for the name of a place in NJ that sold already-prepared meals, no explanation why. Then we could assume that he'd (a) lost both arms and both legs, or (b) it was for an infirm parent or friend. That way nobody would have told him (a) how to spend his time; (b) how to spend his money; and (c) how he should prioritize his life.

OP, I googled your zip code along with "prepared meals" and, as you said, there are a bunch of them. I don't live in NJ so can't tell you which ones are good. Maybe they have a "trial plan" so that you can try a few of their meals before you commit? And, like JrzDefector said, Wegmans and other supermarkets typically have prepared foods. They're normally right near the produce, at the front, in a refrigerated case. And if you stock up on ones that you like, many of them can be frozen and then heated so that you don't have to go to the store every day or so.

ETA: I spend a lot of time on this forum. Sometimes I like to cook. Sometimes I don't. I especially don't when I've put in 60 or 70 or 80 hours of work that week. And, yes, my freezer is absolutely stuffed with prepared meals -- not prepared by me, I might add, but by a store -- for those days when I'm just not feeling like I want that extra job of cooking, no matter how simple a meal it could be. I just want to heat and eat.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-04-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I didn't read all of the responses but, wow, harsh responses. The OP doesn't cook, doesn't like to cook, doesn't want to cook, doesn't have time to cook. End of story. He should have just come on here and, without explanation, asked for the name of a place in NJ that sold already-prepared meals, no explanation why. Then we could assume that he'd (a) lost both arms and both legs, or (b) it was for an infirm parent or friend. That way nobody would have told him (a) how to spend his time; (b) how to spend his money; and (c) how he should prioritize his life.

OP, I googled your zip code along with "prepared meals" and, as you said, there are a bunch of them. I don't live in NJ so can't tell you which ones are good. Maybe they have a "trial plan" so that you can try a few of their meals before you commit? And, like JrzDefector said, Wegmans and other supermarkets typically have prepared foods. They're normally right near the produce, at the front, in a refrigerated case. And if you stock up on ones that you like, many of them can be frozen and then heated so that you don't have to go to the store every day or so.

ETA: I spend a lot of time on this forum. Sometimes I like to cook. Sometimes I don't. I especially don't when I've put in 60 or 70 or 80 hours of work that week. And, yes, my freezer is absolutely stuffed with prepared meals -- not prepared by me, I might add, but by a store -- for those days when I'm just not feeling like I want that extra job of cooking, no matter how simple a meal it could be. I just want to heat and eat.
I love prepared meals. I don't want to cook 7 days a week. I never have. Even my mother didn't. There's a thing called leftovers, too. I love leftovers.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You seem to have a lot of issues not related to actual food preparation.

1. Supermarkets now have delivery services. You go online or use an app, choose a date and delivery time. Shopping can take all of 10 minutes in between watching YouTube videos.
2. You can make good, really tasty food in less time than you think. You can do it in large batches on the weekend and freeze. This is essentially the same as any meal prep company.
3. Clean up doesn't take long if you clean and wipe down as you prep.
4. If you believe doing business record keeping is akin to being robbed and tortured, you won't listen to anything I've written.
I love it when the internet lectures me like I'm a know-nothing teenager.

Furthermore, I was quoting and responding to a specific POST and question:
Quote:
How long does it take to do a couple of chicken breasts or a piece of fish, make a green salad and bake a potato for instance?
REALLY? OMG I never THOUGHT of preparing food in advance!!! 'Specially that yummy 3 day old fish, baked potato and salad!

OMG wipe down as you prep??? NO! Why didn't I think of that???!!!

I particularly love it when someone who's not a business owner pretends to have a clue about the IRS requirements of said business owners and the business they have no clue about, either.

NOW you're diminishing the SOLID FACT that the IRS costs me two hours per day of my time?

What part of "Every hour I'm not working I'm losing money" didn't you comprehend?

Probably not ME who has "issues". Every business owner in America would agree with me.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-04-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Time to close.

Beretta

Food and Drink Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink