Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 PM

844 posts, read 1,441,853 times

Advertisements

I've tried green tea, black tea, sleepytime tea (or whatever you call it), orange tea, even little known PITO PITO tea.

All tea's taste like hot water to me...anybody else have that same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Absolutely not. All my teas have very different flavor profiles. Perhaps you're not steeping long enough and yielding weak tea.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
I suspect your olfactory senses are shot. Can you tell an apple from an onion?

Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Lapsang Souchong has a smoky taste unlike any other tea.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I've tried green tea, black tea, sleepytime tea (or whatever you call it), orange tea, even little known PITO PITO tea.

Some of those herbal teas have almost no taste (to me anyway) but real tea definitely has its own taste.

Maybe you should try a good tea (I like P.G. Tips) add boiling water and let it steep a few minutes to make sure you're getting the flavor. Then you can add either sugar or milk or both. It tastes great. I do find that on extremely cold winter mornings, I need something like coffee but I like the taste of tea better.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post

Nope. Either it's your taste buds or you're not steeping long enough. I find with loose teas, I need to use more tea leaves and steep for over 5 minutes. If it's a regular tea like Lipton or Tetley then then I just need to steep a few minutes or dunk the bag just a few times. I have a box of Darjeeling tea and find that it's not strong at all unless I let it steep with boiling hot water for a good 10 minutes.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
I am not a hot tea drinker.. .Hubby prefers Tetley...some like Lipton...and really, who cares? Tea stains your teeth so badly...worse than coffee or wine!

Iced tea is simply tea...any kind will do (and for me, lots of sugar!)...

Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times
How long are you steeping? Green tea has a very short steep time until it becomes bitter. Herbal teas have a much longer steep time, like 5-10 minutes. Can you detect the different scents if you just smell the tea satchets before putting them in water? If you can't your senses may be off.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times
A lot of what you mention isn't even tea, they are tisanes. Sleepytime has NO tea in it, it is an herbal infusion. Pito pito - also not tea, yet another herbal infusion.

You might as well call "coffee" tea as all that other stuff. You seem to think anything steeped in hot water is tea. ONLY TEA is tea.

That said, *I* can certainly taste the difference between most, if not all, kinds of real tea.

I don't care for green tea myself, but I wouldn't say that means no one ELSE could possibly enjoy the taste.

I asked for black tea in a Chinese restaurant recently and when they brought it out, I had to spit it out. Turned out it was *shudder* LIPTON domestic tea.

At this restaurant they only had Jasmine tea on the menu. I don't mind jasmine tea so much, but its uber trendy here and its often the only tea on the menu.

Turns out this restaurant was used to people asking for "black tea" who really wanted the cheap crappy domestic tea bags like Lipton. They didn't like more sophisticated and less processed black teas such as oolong.

Now I know to ask for oolong there.

So yes. I CAN tell the difference. Some I like and some I can't stand (such as the US version of Lipton - Indian Lipton is quite a different animal).

Old 01-11-2017, 06:30 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Nope. Either it's your taste buds or you're not steeping long enough. I find with loose teas, I need to use more tea leaves and steep for over 5 minutes. I have a box of Darjeeling tea and find that it's not strong at all unless I let it steep with boiling hot water for a good 10 minutes.
IMO, the mistake that many people make is that they don't steep their tea for a long enough period of time, and/or they don't use boiling water.

The other possibility for the OP to consider is the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I suspect your olfactory senses are shot. Can you tell an apple from an onion?
I just counted the teas in my cabinet, and I have 4 different varieties of black tea, two green tea varieties, and 5 different herbal teas. If they all tasted the same, or if they just tasted like hot water, why would I have so many different types on hand?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink