Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:18 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

OP, safeway has a very good sale price on deli meat this week, usually sale is only good until wednesday. $4 a pound.

I don't know how good it is. I doubt that it is their top of the line, but it is worth a try for that price. The only thing I've ever bought from their deli is their fried chicken, so I can't comment on the quality of any of the rest of it.

I check the grocery ads online, saw the deli meat price, and thought of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Still cheaper than going to a restaurant

Buy when on sale. Plain and simple

Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Agree!
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Still cheaper than going to a restaurant

Buy when on sale. Plain and simple
Last time I bought the roast beef it was marked down to I think $9lb a few weeks ago. That was the 1st deli lunch meat purchase for myself in a few years. That was for the premium choice that looked so much better than the lower grade version sitting next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, safeway has a very good sale price on deli meat this week, usually sale is only good until wednesday. $4 a pound.

I don't know how good it is. I doubt that it is their top of the line, but it is worth a try for that price. The only thing I've ever bought from their deli is their fried chicken, so I can't comment on the quality of any of the rest of it.

I check the grocery ads online, saw the deli meat price, and thought of you.
Thanks OWS

But I have back shelved the thoughts of cold cuts and I am one of those mind over matter kinds of people.
As stated previously .... deli meats have not really been a part of my diet / food intake for quite a few years and will not be going forward due to prices.

I did however get alittle even on the deli section of Haggens ( said grocer with the expensive deli meats ) just last evening.

I was in the store alittle before 7pm Sun eve and I know that's when the deli is shut down and they spend the next hour cleaning things up removing all the product to store in the larger reefer.

Well they also toss out all of the unsold fried chicken. And if you ask nicely the employee will substitute all breast portions into their 8 pc box to go. Usually sells for $7.99 which is not that great a value. But if you are getting 5 large breasts and 5-6 wing portions it is a pretty decent value. I prefer those 2 over the drumsticks and thighs on fried chicken.

It was a small victory for the consumer ... but I felt like I beat them at their own game so to speak.

here's a tip of the cap to the nice deli employee who hooked me up !

Last edited by StrkAliteN; 09-25-2017 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
I visit the deli counter maybe twice a year. Lunch meat is processed poison that I rarely if ever put in my body. If I'm going to eat crap like that I'll save it for bacon.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Still $8.99 to $9.99 here in Tennessee, except for corned beef or pastrami, or something imported.

Much cheaper to buy a turkey breast or beef roast, roast it, and slice it yourself but that's a bit of work and who needs 5 pounds of cold cuts at one time. You pay for the convenience of having someone do all that work for you, and selling it to you a half pound at a time.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Still $8.99 to $9.99 here in Tennessee, except for corned beef or pastrami, or something imported.

Much cheaper to buy a turkey breast or beef roast, roast it, and slice it yourself but that's a bit of work and who needs 5 pounds of cold cuts at one time. You pay for the convenience of having someone do all that work for you, and selling it to you a half pound at a time.
But if one adds up the numerous half pound purchases they make over x amount of time, buying the roast may be a better deal.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I visit the deli counter maybe twice a year. Lunch meat is processed poison that I rarely if ever put in my body. If I'm going to eat crap like that I'll save it for bacon.
I agree...
I roast turkey breast in the oven and slice it for sandwiches. Actually tastes much better.
Same with chicken.

For roast beef, I get it from a store that slices it fresh and to order. I love mine medium/medium rare, and they nail it every time. I am not a fan of the deli-type roast beef at all.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
But if one adds up the numerous half pound purchases they make over x amount of time, buying the roast may be a better deal.
It depends. If the household is small, roasting a chicken or turkey produces a lot of meat. They might have trouble eating all of it, and freezer space might be limited.

Another problem with roasting chicken now is the lack of good sized chickens to roast. I believe there is a shortage of chickens. The only whole fryers I see locally are too scrawny to bother with.

Are those of you not in the West still able to find Perdue Oven Stuffer chickens? Man, I miss those for roasting.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,347,151 times
I just checked our turkey that we have in the fridge - "real" baked turkey breast, sliced. $8.99/lb. from the Acme, which is usually pretty high. We don't get many lunchmeats, but that's one that we like because it doesnt have fat and gristle (skeeve me!).

I dont know why they're gotten so high. When we buy more (all we got was a 1/2 lb. of that), i usually check around online and try to find a cheaper place to buy - maybe ShopRite. We are in Southern NJ.

I read all the posts and now i'm hungry.

Something good to do with the thin roast beef, whatever kind you like to get sliced. It's always too red and raw for me, so we put it in a crock pot with a can of gravy and a can of au jus. Also you can add onions, or make carmelized onions to go with it. After a couple hours, put on good rolls, with cheese and allow to melt. Makes SUCH good sandwiches. We used to do these for Christmas Eve every year. 12 years ago I became a pescetarian, so now i rarely eat meat (no pun intended lol).

Last edited by Jellybean50; 09-25-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 04:53 PM

857 posts, read 958,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Simple economics. Increased demand will cause increase in prices until it reaches equilibrium. Because people are cooking, stores can charge more for deli meat.

It's cheaper to buy a roast or turkey and slice it up yourself. Or hit Subway.
The few times I ate at Subway, I felt like a cow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink