Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
My go-to reason for having Chinese food is mapo tofu, which I'm told is the classic Chinese comfort food, much like mac 'n cheese is to Americans. Whenever I go to a new restaurant and order it, the waiter is always surprised that *I* am ordering *that* instead of the usual American fare.
You really want to surprise 'em order it pronounced as "ma pwo doe fu", and give the pwua a rising tone and doe a falling tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

They are very mainstream American foods.

What I see happening is instead of 20 Chinese restaurants in one city all basically having the same foods, they will start to bring in traditional Chinese cuisines. In China if one goes to 20 restaurants, I'd be surprised if 2 of them carried many of the same menu items. In the US its ridiculous that so many restaurants have the exact same menu items.

One of my biggest peeves is when customers come in and ask if we cook a dish like such and such restaurant. I typically reply, no, we have our own style of cooking. Which is true, but if one wants the same dish that other restaurant has, why not just go there, why expect some other restaurant to be the same. Anyway, thats just a little rant, but I do think that is changing and more and more Americans expect different restaurants to be different.
my pet peeve has always been that folks will seek out a new place to try and wind up order something bland like fried rice and egg drop soup. I've always felt that chinese restaurants should eliminate those dishes just to get people to venture out for other dishes.

we went out to dinner with with friends recently at a new hip vietnamese place that served family style. Our friends ordered the fried rice but we ordered a few of the more interesting dishes. At the end of the nite, they thoroughly enjoyed the meal and nobody touched the fried rice. That was a great nite for everyone.

Buffets get boring after a while no matter what the cuisine. I've seen plenty of closed up chinese buffet places but they were generally located in steak and potato type towns.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You really want to surprise 'em order it pronounced as "ma pwo doe fu", and give the pwua a rising tone and doe a falling tone.
Hahaha! Love it! At first I thought you were going to write something that would have me unknowingly swearing at them.

I always say it as "mah POH toe FOO" -- close??

Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Problem: Fried rice is delicious. Solution: Order some. The same goes for lo mein. Meanwhile, I don't think Americanized Chinese food is going out of fashion any more quickly than Americanized Mexican food.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:51 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Also wanted to add in the diminished value of Chinese food being sold in the deli sections of many local supermarkets here ( north of Seattle - 1 hour )

Yea yea I know how prices for groceries has gone up ... and inflation - yayaya but seriously... It was just 10yrs or so ago for around $5 you could go to any of dozens of Chinese take out sections at all the various grocers near me and get their 2 entrée takeout version and choose either fried rice or chow mein or a combo of each. Some even tossed and egg roll in as part of the deal.

The food portion was amazing and even though it was sold as what I am guessing was a single persons take out meal. You could easily feed 2-3 people from it. So it was a fantastic value bargain.

fast forward a few years and the price trickled up to $7ish and then an amazing thing happened with the packaging. Everyone of the local grocers changed the portion size in unison and the amount of food you were given was basically reduced by 50-60% - near 1/2. So now your $7-8 Chinese take out order only fed 1 single person. And NEVER is an egg roll part of the deal. They will SELL you one for an additional $2

Current day pricing ( I do not purchase ever - just monitor ) is $9+ for the combo take out which is the 1/2 size I described. You get 2 very small portions of 2 entrees ( basically a large kitchen spoonful - maybe 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup ) and approx. a cup of fried rice or chowmein as a side. No value whatsoever as you can go to any actual restaurant and have a sit down Chinese or Thai meal served to you for similar or lower price ( use a coupon or special ) and you are getting far better food that was not mass produced and made to order and much fresher ingredients.

edited to add

Then to trick the consumer current day and offer up these discount bowls for $5 ( making you think you are getting a deal / a meal for cheap ) - They are a laughable small sized kid portion in a small bowl. You get PLAIN rice ( not the nicer fried rice ) my guess is maybe 2/3 cup of cooked white rice and they spoon that same 1/4 cup of entrée over the top and that's it for $5. seriously ? Your average man could knock off 3 of those in 1 sitting - no problem.

Last edited by StrkAliteN; 10-15-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Asian buffet they opened a few years ago in my neighborhood is busy at all hours. I like to get myself a big bowl of fried rice.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:04 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! Love it! At first I thought you were going to write something that would have me unknowingly swearing at them.

I always say it as "mah POH toe FOO" -- close??
The American word tofu comes from Japanese which in turn came from Chinese. Chinese pronounce it like doufu. You can look it up on YouTube if you are really curious about the sounding of it.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
The American word tofu comes from Japanese which in turn came from Chinese. Chinese pronounce it like doufu. You can look it up on YouTube if you are really curious about the sounding of it.
Totally curious! I really like the woman at my local Chinese takeout place. We have lovely conversations (that started when I got mapo tofu) so I'd like to pronounce it correctly for her.

I looked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M014QkIOWSg

Got it! Thank you!

Old 10-15-2017, 01:19 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
My daughter speaks Mandarin. She is good to take along to Chinese places, especially more upscale ones. Waiters tend to get excited when they discover that this white girl with blond hair (well, sometimes it's been purple or teal) can converse with them in their language, and we usually end up getting sent something extra for the table. But it's handy to have someone familiar with the food to ask questions.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Absolutely not, Chinese-American places are everywhere in New York.

That being said, due to Chinese immigrants and foodies there is plenty of demand for real Chinese food as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink