Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

The true French croissant – a Gallic gastronomic icon - is dying out, baking purists have warned, amid claims by one federation that half of the buttery, crescent-shaped pastries found in so-called “home-made” bakeries are industrially made and heated up on site.

Croissants 'dying out' in France - Telegraph

Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,643,476 times
I noticed that over the last few years with more bakeries deciding to go for a more industrial process ( and supermarkets selling "plastic" croissants and pains au chocolat). Fortunately also in the last few years a new wave of Artisan bakers is coming out, a new generation of Boulangers who take pride in their craft and are trying to passing down their art .

The problem is that modern life has caught up with France and fast food is like everywhere else becoming a big seller, being easy and convenient. Most French women now work and can't be bothered to cook, they don't teach kids how to eat and how to cook. And the two hour long lunch is becoming more of a rarity with younger people especially opting for a quick sandwich or a burger , eating on the hoof which would have been mostly unthinkable a generation ago.

The quality of French food has gone down which is a tragedy but signs are emerging of a renaissance. Also the French are getting used to more international flavours and more choice of ethnic foods which can only be a good thing IMO. Ethnic restaurants used to be far and few between outside of big cities but are gaining prominence. The complacency of many French Chefs is being replaced by a new found pride in the best ingredients and their provenance. Many French schools now have "tasting" classes so that kids brought up on fast foodcrap can still be introduced to real proper food.

A good Boulanger is still something I really appreciate when I visit and there is nothing quite so delicious as a proper just out of the oven croissant or pain au chocolat made with real artisan butter and love. It is utter heaven. Same with Artisan breads.

I just hope that our wipe clean, easy fast food society does not end up erasing so many hundred years of fabulous regional foods, it would be so tragic for France.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,976,288 times
Grocery store croissants are beyond disgusting.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The true French croissant – a Gallic gastronomic icon - is dying out, baking purists have warned, amid claims by one federation that half of the buttery, crescent-shaped pastries found in so-called “home-made” bakeries are industrially made and heated up on site.

Croissants 'dying out' in France - Telegraph
just another story that is printed to see what kind of response it will get. I believe, in America, we call it sansationalism? There will always be stories like this, I don't think most of us take them to serioulsy: if it is true, I don't know if it really makes much of a difference to the majority of us who do not live in France. Most of us have never tasted the real thing anyway. As life changes everywhere, mass produced becomes the norm. I am guessing there are some people in France (young children) that haven't tasted the "made from scratch" pastries the Frence are known for. Of course there are kids in America and adults as well, that have never tasted a true, fresh French Fry or a cake made from scratch.

Nita

Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I wouldn't go quite that far; remember most Americans have never tasted really good, made from scratch ones..This can be said about many of the things we eat today; if you haven't experienced the real stuff, you don't know the difference. That being said, I am not a lover of the store bought ones either.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-05-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM

718 posts, read 1,391,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Costco has actually some very good and real Butter croissants .It needs to be reheated for a few minutes at 300 to bring back the light crust .

Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
Costco has actually some very good and real Butter croissants .It needs to be reheated for a few minutes at 300 to bring back the light crust .
The Costco croissants are made in the same factory that supplies about 3/4 of the large grocery stores.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,196,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
I have no idea why, but it's a great thing: Costco products tend to be better quality than most, while being the same price or cheaper.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I have no idea why, but it's a great thing: Costco products tend to be better quality than most, while being the same price or cheaper.
It's like Sam's meat versus WalMart: basically the same company, worlds of difference in quality...who knows why for sure?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM

17,552 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Best croissants I've ever had are the The Fresh Market - they beat the authentic French bakery ones here hands down and are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink