Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:10 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,563,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Many years ago I bought one from Pampered Chef. It has a neat little plastic thing that helps clean it out. It is metal and works well. I rarely go for home product gadgets, but this one works really well.

I use a flat bottomed coffee mug to smash the garlic a bit to make peeling easier. I don't worry about cutting my hand with a knife.

I second the Pampered Chef garlic press. It's sturdy. I've had it for five years. Not wildly expensive and readily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,664,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
I've been quite satisfied with the Oxo Good Grips garlic oress. Relevant links:

https://www.oxo.com/products/prepari...s/garlic-press

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Sof..._title_kitchen
This is a good answer if the OP does not like smashing and mincing garlic.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I second the Pampered Chef garlic press. It's sturdy. I've had it for five years. Not wildly expensive and readily available.
I've had one from them for about 20 years. I like it because you can put the garlic in with the peel on.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM

17,633 posts, read 13,425,730 times
I learned years ago yo place garlic clove on flat surface. Place flat side of knife on the clove, then smack the knife mashing the clove.

Pick off dry part of cove and you have what you want

Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,511,482 times
Don't forget that it is easy and effective to infuse butter with garlic.

Smash a half dozen cloves like Mike says above and put them in a small sauce pan with a stick of butter. Heat over med stirring occasionally until bubbling from the butter stops and the garlic is just about to turn a little brown - do not brown the garlic.

Toss the cloves and use the butter as needed.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I really like that idea, very clever.
I love it! Plus, it's fun to see the reactions on people's faces if they're at your house when you empty the dishwasher and take a rock out! LOL

Old 11-29-2017, 03:56 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,563,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've had one from them for about 20 years. I like it because you can put the garlic in with the peel on.
Yes! I like the fact that no garlic peeling is needed.

I really do not care if my cooking implements are from an upscale brand or not. They are simply a means to an end.

The Pampered Chef garlic press is affordable, and easy to obtain. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:11 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,409,441 times
Obviously there are many ways to skin this cat. I'll try some of the methods. To me there are few aromas better than garlic being sautéed in a little olive oil and butter

Old 11-29-2017, 06:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,434,396 times
I have two that I use when needing to press garlic. For under $20, I have a Kuhn Rikon that is adequate. However, I have a Rosle that is more expensive, but is a great garlic press, though it's closer to $50. What I like about Rosle is the warranty, as I have had an issue with a couple of products and received a replacement at no cost, a couple of years after purchase with a lid lifter. If you have a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, consider the Rosle as it's sturdy and I find it to be excellent, with a great warranty.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
Could I mention ...be sure you buy American...the foreign garlic is grown in ...well...
waste...and even human waste....sorry it was on TV! they spoke about Asian places mostly...
This is the group that would be interested...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink