Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:34 PM

939 posts, read 788,003 times

Advertisements

I usually buy two containers at a time they are so good, and refrigerate them immediately, then polish them off much faster than I did these last two.

I opened the second one today with a Use By date of 12/03/2017 (yesterday).

There is no way I will finish them off by tomorrow, Wednesday if I'm lucky...three days past.

Think they'll still be good, or should I freeze them, or even can I?

If I can't and I'm desperate, I guess I can have a tiny sample tomorrow and Wed. to check.

I'm guessing if they're bad, they'll taste rancid or pungent?

I'm sure if I put a small amount in my mouth before ingesting it, I'll be OK if they're bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Try them. You aren’t going to poison yourself for a day or so over.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
YES, you can freeze them. If they are ‘spoiled’ a taste will tell you immediately. Just spit it out. You’ll be okay. Maybe you could use soon by juicing them or adding them to a smoothie? Pineapples are really good for you.

I was just lamenting the lack of good fruit and fruit that lasts more than a couple of days where I live. So disappointing. Just bought some watermelon slices yesterday, still good according to stamped date, but awfull, tasteless and beginning to have a slimy texture. WHY!? My refrigerator settings are appropriate.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Try them. You aren’t going to poison yourself for a day or so over.

That's what I figured, but since they typically have a bite to them, I wasn't sure how the taste would change if they were bad.

I don't care if freezing them changes the texture, just as long as it prolongs the freshness a day or two longer.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
They don't magically change from edible to spoiled at midnight on the "use by" date. The pineapple doesn't actually know what its "use by" date is.

They should be fine for at least a couple of days, but freezing them is an excellent idea. The texture will be different once they are thawed, but frozen pineapple is great in smoothies.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
...I was just lamenting the lack of good fruit and fruit that lasts more than a couple of days where I live. So disappointing. Just bought some watermelon slices yesterday, still good according to stamped date, but awfull, tasteless and beginning to have a slimy texture. WHY!? My refrigerator settings are appropriate.

I used to buy watermelon slices/chunks well out of season at a large grocery chain, but I think they added sugar to them and/or the liquid, as every piece tasted as sweet as the others, even the white-ish ones!

Female watermelons are more round, and usually contain less seeds.

Most folks don't know how to pick fresh whole watermelons.

They first thing they do is thump it... wrong order.

Some only thump once in one spot, then they automatically pick that very first one, as they heard you are suppose to thump them, but don't know why.

Thumping only assures crispness, not sweetness.

I first look for sweet ones. Ones that are the deepest yellow all along the bottom. The longer and darker the yellow patch, the better.

If you see the yellow on the end-cap, that means it was grown standing upright, not flat, and not good.

After I select a yellow one, it's time to see if it is also crisp.

If you buy apples, oranges, lemons, etc., and only look at one side of it, if at all, you'll only need to thump one area of the watermelon, if at all.

Watermelons get tossed and thrown, sometimes even before they reach the grocers.

If they are lucky to survive that, they get tossed and thrown when customers are picking through them at the market, which causes the melon to get bruised (on a side or two only), then soft, which is why it is important to thump at least a dozen times in various areas. I use my middle finger and quickly tap down and quickly up, almost like Liberace!

Lots of people know that the thump is supposed to sound hollow, but that should be done on all sides.

With mouth closed and relaxed, gently slap your cheek and you should get the thump-sound of a wet balled-up rag...not good.

Do the same thing with your mouth completely open to get that hollow, almost "pop" sound, and that is closer to the sound you want from the melon.

You don't have to thump many areas, just the ones you don't want to be mushy.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
They don't magically change from edible to spoiled at midnight on the "use by" date. The pineapple doesn't actually know what its "use by" date is...
I love it!

I first started choosing the packages that contained slices a little darker than the other ones, figuring they might be more ripened and sweeter, as I tried that approach a time or two and it worked.

Recently though, I started going through all the containers to look for the ones that have the most juice in the container, and that seemed to work lots better for sweetness.

The container in question had a lot of juice, but were darker as well, and possibly older, and I think I ate the containers in the wrong order, the darker ones last!

I'll avoid that next time as it seems I've had so many lately, I kind of got burnt out on them, and compare use by dates after setting aside the juiciest ones...oops!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Fresh pineapple is an excellent fruit. It is nature's antibiotic and very healthy for you. If you have kept them refrigerated you should be fine to finish them.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:34 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
I don't buy sliced pineapples or any ready to eat fruits. but I buy those unpeeled fruits. I usually get from the bottom of the boxes and make sure they are not ripe, should be firm and crisp.

for pineapples, I let it ripen in room temperature, meaning wait for 3 days before I peel it and slice it. you can determine that a pineapple is ripe when it emits a sweet aroma. this usually happens during warm weather or summer.

during winter, don't expect tropical fruits to be sweet. avoid them if you can. stick to oranges, bananas or avocado or processed fruits

Old 12-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

for pineapples, I let it ripen in room temperature, meaning wait for 3 days before I peel it and slice it. you can determine that a pineapple is ripe when it emits a sweet aroma. this usually happens during warm weather or summer....
In the past, I could take or leave pineapples. Any amount of prep time is too much work for something I wasn't crazy about, pre-sliced tipped the scales for me.

I do notice that they too can have areas of yellow skin, which points to a fruit that ripened naturally in the ground before it got picked, and is much sweeter from the get-go.

I do notice people sniffing them in the store, hopefully an unripe one wasn't touching a pile of sweeter ones and picked up their aroma.

You are correct in letting produce that needs to ripen further, do so in a warmer environment other than a fridge or room temps under 70 degrees (guestimating the perfect temp).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink