Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Mini Moos taste better than evaporated milk and they don't require a P-38 opener (BTW - I prefer the P-51 opener).
Well, to each their own.

Personally, I haven't unwrapped my P-38. We thought they were all cool back in the 70s when they handed them out in JROTC. We put them on our key chains. They turned out to be such a pain, though, in that they were always unfolding and catching on things. They are probably easier to use than a Swiss Army Knife but the knife doesn't catch on things.

I have three of the old style hand turn can openers at home and I send at least one out on the camp out as well.

As things go, on a camp out, there will be grand cooks or no cooks at all. With the grand cooks, things go great in the morning. There's coffee, cocoa, maybe even tea. Someone is cooking up the bacon and the eggs and there are breakfast tacos. There may even be pan cakes and toast.

This last camp out was great. The Saturday morning crew used up all the bacon and eggs that I had to make a resupply run for Sunday. On Sunday, the Dive Boss said he wanted to make sure everyone was fed before he started up the diving.

Why isn't it me as the cook? I may not be at the camp fire because I may have other duties as a dive leader.

Which sort of brings us back to the coffee and additives. The Mini Moos sound all self explanatory; is evaporated milk the same?

Don't laugh! I was once checking out with my powdered milk and the bagger asked the cashier what that stuff was....and the cashier said it was for babies.

Now, about sugar. I send out a 5lb bag of white sugar and a bag of brown sugar. What about those who use other sweeteners in their brew. What can you tell me about that stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe the person who wanted creamer couldn't drink milk, and was looking for non dairy creamer.
GOOD POINT and in my non allergy way of thinking, it is something I could entirely miss. It was only this moment that it occurred to me that from that point of view, non dairy is not about it being artificial.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-17-2017 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 05:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
non-dairy creamer and tiny marshmallows for the cocoa.

And, I will add that I'm jealous. I haven't been camping in years since my kids were small. My absolute favorite part was getting up before everyone else and building the fire up and putting a pot of coffee on that open fire. The aroma cannot be duplicated. Have fun!

Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
non-dairy creamer and tiny marshmallows for the cocoa.

And, I will add that I'm jealous. I haven't been camping in years since my kids were small. My absolute favorite part was getting up before everyone else and building the fire up and putting a pot of coffee on that open fire. The aroma cannot be duplicated. Have fun!
I need someone like you to get the fire going in the morning. It is not my expertise.

I provide two pots at least. One for the perk coffee, one for the hot water.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Are you going camping or hosting a coffee bar? For those who do not appreciate what you do/bring - BYOC - bring your own creamer.

Use a chimney and fat lighter to get your fire going in the morning.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
I serve coffee black, any additives would be up to anyone who desires them in their coffee, to provide their own.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Are you going camping or hosting a coffee bar? For those who do not appreciate what you do/bring - BYOC - bring your own creamer.

Use a chimney and fat lighter to get your fire going in the morning.
Part of the thing of teaching scuba is selling the scuba/recreation industry. One tries to make the outing as fun as they can. You want people to enjoy themselves, to come back to your store, to tell their friends to come to your store.

There are, of course, limits such as that of my bank account. I serve brisket but I really don't go out of my way to provide a vegetarian fare beyond that of bread, peanut butter, and jams, for example.

If creamer is affordable and it looks like it is, I'll throw that into the supplies. Vanilla Syrup? No, I probably wouldn't bother with that, but if it is possible and reasonable, sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I serve coffee black, any additives would be up to anyone who desires them in their coffee, to provide their own.
One needs to further understand that these are often college students who may not be rich.

It is in my nature, first of all, and how I have been trained about the recreation industry, secondly, to be, well, as Will Riker said in "The Royale", "When the train comes in, everyone rides.".

Old 12-17-2017, 12:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In the past for camp outs, I have provided coffee, instant cocoa, sugar, and milk. I figured that was enough.

On the last one, however, someone asked for creamer (I don't recall if actual or powder), so perhaps my taste in coffee is missing something.

What else might one have at the camp site? Mind you, I am looking for suggestions, not directives. Much if not all of the food at a camp out comes out of my pocketbook and there are limits.

I only use sugar but because my husband grew up in a house with diabetics, he only uses Splenda or some other related product because that's the taste he is used to so I always bring a couple of packets of those when we go camping. (He usually has his coffee black but sometimes he wants something in it.) You could always just keep a few packets around in case you have someone who cannot have sugar.

Agree on the non-dairy creamer.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I don't drink black coffee. I take my Half and Half camping in our travel trailer fridge. If I was camping out in a tent with parking nearby for convenience, it would go into a cooler on ice.

If I was camping in the outback, I'd take either powdered Coffeemate, or canned milk and an opener. You'd have to bring a spill proof container to put it into once it's opened or you'll have milk everywhere in your backpack. If there's no way to keep it cold, take two cans because it will spoil.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
The mini moos are perfect for travel. I drink coffee black, but I sometimes get them for hubby.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't drink black coffee. I take my Half and Half camping in our travel trailer fridge. If I was camping out in a tent with parking nearby for convenience, it would go into a cooler on ice.

If I was camping in the outback, I'd take either powdered Coffeemate, or canned milk and an opener. You'd have to bring a spill proof container to put it into once it's opened or you'll have milk everywhere in your backpack. If there's no way to keep it cold, take two cans because it will spoil.
Fortunately, these trips are supported by my F-250. Coolers galore. Haven't had to carry a camp stove yet, though. To date, it's been the max load out of the F-250.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink