Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:12 PM

17,239 posts, read 15,438,332 times

Advertisements

Also look out for weevils... A lot of times, eggs from the field they grew in find themselves in the bag, and you won't know they are in there until they hatch and start eating away, at which point you will see them. They can be washed off, but it's quite a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
I think they are good for literally years!

Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,518,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the life expectancy is quite long but they can be harder to cook with as years go by. At 10 years I would toss them. It isn't like they are a gourmet or pricey food.
Exactly. I have 2 lbs of pinto beans going right now and they were quite inexpensive.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
A few years ago I found a large-ish tupperware container of pinto beans left behind by an old roommate. He moved out in the 90s so the beans were at least ~20 years old. I soaked them and cooked them. Normal taste and texture.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:20 PM

731 posts, read 679,399 times
Ladies and Germs--Here is what a Prepper and Survivalist says about storing beans and cooking old beans.

Nor'Eastah
befriend

6,667 posts, read 6,940,871 times

Living in the east, it's anything but dry here. I would think at your OR cabin it might be humid some of the time, also. If you want to keep the beans for a long time, they must be kept dry. Here in the east, the only way to 100% guarantee they are dry, is to vacuum seal them. I dunno why you say people won't do that, as so many of them have vac sealers. Even mylar bags with O2 absorbers are not as good. That vac seal keeps everything out.

As for cooking, if you run across 'resistant' beans, just put them into a pressure cooker. Another thing most people have, stuffed away in some cabinet, unused. They'll use their crock pots, but that's just cooking. If overnight soaking does not make them swell, try the pressure cooker.

Most preparedness-minded people don't eat beans very often (OK, I love Boston baked beans). They buy the beans, pack 'em up as well as they know how or can afford, and expect them to last 25-30 years, till SHTF. I can't tell you the horrors I've found in dried beans, rice, oatmeal, etc that were not properly packaged. You can't just leave it in the plastic bag from the store, throw it into a 5 gallon bucket, and expect it to last decades. Now I do it right.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Also look out for weevils... A lot of times, eggs from the field they grew in find themselves in the bag, and you won't know they are in there until they hatch and start eating away, at which point you will see them. They can be washed off, but it's quite a nuisance.
Pre storage, you could put the dry beans in the freezer for a while to kill the bug eggs.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM

8,972 posts, read 4,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A few years ago I found a large-ish tupperware container of pinto beans left behind by an old roommate. He moved out in the 90s so the beans were at least ~20 years old. I soaked them and cooked them. Normal taste and texture.
The thing is, it may be your local weather.
Maybe things keep longer on East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:44 PM

8,972 posts, read 4,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Pre storage, you could put the dry beans in the freezer for a while to kill the bug eggs.
While I have never kept beans for over 2 years (although I am in the process of correcting that ) all of the beans I got from the store and just dropped into a Sterilite storage container and kept for a year or more, I never had any problems.

I don't recall ever hearing of weevils, or other kinds of bugs in dry pinto beans, have you?
(I will admit my experience with long term storage is limited.)

Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 PM

I have found bugs in the 20lb bags on the bottom shelf they sell to the Mexican market.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The thing is, it may be your local weather.
Maybe things keep longer on East of the Sun, West of the Moon.
I do live in an exceedingly dry place. That said, I think the tupperware had as much to do with the preservation of the beans as anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink