Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times

Advertisements

Though I had never seen it for sale, whole King Crab is available online.

Here it is for $41 a pound and a lot of that weight is of course shell, not meat. The listing states it approx 5.73lb for $235.00. Well 5.73lb is not an approx number is it? Either way, out of my buying range.

https://www.seabear.com/product-deta...-red-king-crab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I have to wonder how many people know what crabs eat ................then they eat the crabs.

What do crabs eat
You know that 12 hours after eating a lettuce you have no lettuce inside you? And you don't become a lettuce either.

Everything organic is made of the same component atoms, the foods are all broken down at the molecular level by enzymes and acidic conditions into constituent sugars, amino acids, lipids and other molecules...

Some of the molecules of the water you drink definitely passed through some animal's urinary system at some point previously.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems king crab is non-existent at American supermarkets even at high end markets all I see is frozen king crab legs and no fresh ones.

Over by me there are 3-4 H-Marts that are Korean Supermarket. They always have live King Crabs, for $30/lb it does seem expensive but it's actually not that bad when you compare the amount of meat vs blue crabs that goes for about $12-15/lb and it's comparing a sunflower seed to a walnut.

I always find that soft shell blue crabs is the way to eat and it's less messy and more enjoyable. Eating king crab legs and claws are even more enjoyable the flavor is amazing compare to snow and dungeness crabs.

While I like lobster too but you can't compare king crabs to lobsters, the flavor profile of king crab is just richer and sophisticated.
I dunno, but I saw lobster balls in the grocery store. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had to ask if they were real. Have you seen how big those things are?? That was a big ass lobster.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:40 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
They're delicious, but I personally prefer Dungeness Crabs (which we get whole / live in my area). Much more affordable and the meat is way more substantial than Maryland Blue Crabs. Stir fry them with tomatoes and garlic. Yumm!!
Personally, combining fresh Dungeness or King crab with anything else, diluting its flavor with anything else before eating it is sacrilege! If its fresh I don't even use butter. If its canned or processed in other ways, well, maybe mixing it into something else can be forgiven.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I dunno, but I saw lobster balls in the grocery store. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had to ask if they were real. Have you seen how big those things are?? That was a big ass lobster.
This is a joke, right? You didn't really believe they were lobster testicles, did you?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428545...27053/?lp=true

In any event, it's a waste of lobster. I feel the same about lobster ravioli.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
I love crab meat but they’re such a pain to open.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:51 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems king crab is non-existent at American supermarkets even at high end markets all I see is frozen king crab legs and no fresh ones.

Over by me there are 3-4 H-Marts that are Korean Supermarket. They always have live King Crabs, for $30/lb it does seem expensive but it's actually not that bad when you compare the amount of meat vs blue crabs that goes for about $12-15/lb and it's comparing a sunflower seed to a walnut.

I always find that soft shell blue crabs is the way to eat and it's less messy and more enjoyable. Eating king crab legs and claws are even more enjoyable the flavor is amazing compare to snow and dungeness crabs.

While I like lobster too but you can't compare king crabs to lobsters, the flavor profile of king crab is just richer and sophisticated.
All our major grocery stores here in MN have frozen king crab. Pretty sure all the king crab shipped to the US is already cooked and frozen. How anyone could not like it (or not like shellfish in general) is beyond me. King crab is sooooo succulent. #yum

Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Which is part of the reason we love it! Anticipation, effort for every scrap, a little bit of pain (unless you happen to be less klutzy than I am), all plays into it. Hamburger or chicken breast are pretty effortless to prepare. Do we covet them nearly as much?

Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Depends, the larger the crab with the right tool it is easier than opening oysters to get the most flesh out.

I believe lobsters tails are just as difficult, because you have to split the shell then pull the flesh out without breaking it apart. Lobster claws are actually more work than snow crab claws. I've went to Joe's Crab Shack for the unlimited snow crab meal and I was cracking snow crab claws bare handed you can't even do that with lobster claws.

If you dislike cracking them just buy softshell crabs, there's nothing like a good fry.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
What you need is a good pair of kitchen shears to cut them open. After they are cooked of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink