Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:03 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,308,072 times

Advertisements

The neighbor kids together with my pranked me with homemade dog biscuits one time so I can say I have tried them. It's a toss up on preference.

Not sure you would count this as a protein bar, but the Kirkland brand Signature Nut Bars are pretty tasty. Here is a description.

These Kirkland Signature Nut Bars contain quality almonds, cashews and walnuts. We then add sea salt and drizzle them with cocoaâ€Â¦. the perfect compliment to the nuts. This is what makes these bars an ideal snack for people on the go or anyone with an adventurous craving for that little something extra. Each 40g bar contains 6g of protein and is an excellent source of fiber with no artificial flavors. This is what makes these bars an ideal snack for people on the go or anyone with an adventurous craving for that little something extra. Ingredients: Almonds, Dark Chocolate Flavored Coating [Chicory Root Inulin, Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder (processed with Alkali), Soy Lecithin-An Emulsifier, Salt, Vanilla Extract], Chicory Root Extract, Cashews, Sunflower Kernels, Honey, Walnuts, Rice Syrup, Crisp Rice (Rice Flour, Sugar, Calcium Carbonate, Salt), Sea Salt, Soy Lecithin- An Emulsifier. Contains: Almonds, Soy, Cashews and Walnuts Allergen Information: Processed on equipment that also packages products that may contain peanuts, milk and other tree nuts not listed.

Features:

30 Bars, 40g (1.41 oz) each
6g of protein in each bar
Excellent source of fiber
No artificial flavors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,404,165 times
My roommate once gave me a dog biscuit made with human-grade ingredients and insisted I try it. It was meant to approximate a cookie but had no sugar. Bland and uninteresting but still way better than a protein bar. Luna bars aren't terrible though.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:02 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,990,315 times
I make my own cinnamon apple protein muffins and they are so good even my junk food junkie friends prefer them over the crap they usually eat.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,608,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I make my own dog treats with natural peanut butter, whole wheat flour, skim milk, and baking powder. They are pretty good just a bit dry

Is this your dog giving this "pretty good" rating?

Old 03-12-2018, 02:57 AM

61,912 posts, read 87,428,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My roommate once gave me a dog biscuit made with human-grade ingredients and insisted I try it. It was meant to approximate a cookie but had no sugar. Bland and uninteresting but still way better than a protein bar. Luna bars aren't terrible though.
Yeah... While pet food is manufactured to human consumption standards (if it was not, it would have to carry a label stating that it was not) it would be unwise to consume it on a regular basis.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
My Brother ate a Pupperoni, he said it didn't taste much different than a Slim Jim and not as greasy.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:10 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,713,101 times
I abstain from both so far be it from me to judge. I have friends who use protein bars but none who use dog biscuits. So the nod must go to the protein bars especially if peanut butter and chocolate are involved.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,925,559 times
Dog biscuits.

Those bars are nasty but one "bar" that is excellent is Larabars.

But they're not "protein" bars they are limited ingredient "health bars", I'd call them.

Even the peanut butter and choc chip isn't all that unhealthy and it's good. (DATES, PEANUTS, CHOCOLATE CHIPS, SEA SALT)

Cashew Cookie is only two ingredients: Cashew and Dates. PERIOD.

The ratios (macros) are balanced. I test blood sugar lately for fun and it does NOT spike.

I doubt they're raw but they taste like it and have the texture of it. I don't eat them often enough to know about all the many flavors. Definitely NOT processed crap like everything else.

you can make them yourself, too with copy cat recipies.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,866,237 times
Milk Bones are alright, a little dry. The Cliff protein bars are pretty good. They are somewhat hard to bite into but taste pretty good. And yes I've tried a milk bone. The dog was unimpressed.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,990,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Dog biscuits.

Those bars are nasty but one "bar" that is excellent is Larabars.

But they're not "protein" bars they are limited ingredient "health bars", I'd call them.

Even the peanut butter and choc chip isn't all that unhealthy and it's good. (DATES, PEANUTS, CHOCOLATE CHIPS, SEA SALT)

Cashew Cookie is only two ingredients: Cashew and Dates. PERIOD.

The ratios (macros) are balanced. I test blood sugar lately for fun and it does NOT spike.

I doubt they're raw but they taste like it and have the texture of it. I don't eat them often enough to know about all the many flavors. Definitely NOT processed crap like everything else.

you can make them yourself, too with copy cat recipies.
Those things are ridiculously expensive so they better be good. I go through phases of turning into a gym rat when my clothes get tight, and wherever that happens, I make my own protein shakes and muffins. People who buy premade protein shakes and muffins are throwing money away hand over fist. Making them yourself costs a fraction of that, you control the ingredients, and save lots of $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink