Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:15 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That might explain why my mother made ham and cabbage.
She was right! Owe you one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 03:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Would you post that cake recipe? I've had chocolate cake with whiskey, but not Guinness. I love corned beef, but all the Irish I know would, like me, prefer to try that cake.
1 cup Guinness, or other stout or porter of one's choice
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
½ tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
⅔ cup greek yogurt or sour cream

For the ganache:
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz dark chocolate (chips or chopped)
1 tablespoon of whiskey (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Thoroughly grease or spray a bundt pan, set aside.

In a small saucepan combine the stout and butter. Heat over medium until butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool a bit.

In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream together the eggs and yogurt until smooth.

Add the butter/stout mixture slowly with the mixer running on medium speed until just combined.

Add the dry ingredients on low until *just* mixed. Use a spatula to finish mixing by hand, don't overmix- you just want to make sure there are no clumps or streaks.

Pour batter into your pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Allow cake to fully cool before inverting onto a cake stand and glazing.

For the glaze:

Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.

Heat cream in a small saucepan until just boiling.

Pour milk over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Stir in whiskey (optional). Drizzle over cooled cake.

--------------------------------------------

My soda bread recipe of choice is a good one also. It's the most similar I've found to the bread I enjoyed in Ireland, and is very simple and savory. I can't stand sweet soda bread, don't care for it to be studded with raisins or currants, etc., either. This recipe does call for sugar, but it is not a sweet-tasting bread. I toast it, use it for corned beef sandwiches, etc.

1 c. buttermilk
2 c. flour
1T. white sugar
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Mix together until it just comes together (will be sticky). Turn out onto floured surface, knead briefly with well-floured hands, pat into a round, and slash an "x" in the top with a sharp, floured knife.

Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 min., till golden brown.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:28 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
We had burgers but I did make green icing for the banana cake I baked.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Never has a chocolate cake with Guinness in it but Had Guinness brownies one time. They were good.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
Hubby made Corned Beef Brisket for the first time tonight. We were not thrilled with it. As my fourteen year old said it tasted like salty ham. He also made Colcannon, which he had made before. That was tasty. I made Irish Soda bread which turned out well, but wasn't very sweet. I think I'll try a new recipe next year for it.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Never has a chocolate cake with Guinness in it but Had Guinness brownies one time. They were good.
Stout works well in baked goods. It adds a rich maltiness that goes well with cocoa notes.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 PM

35,079 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I get enough corned beef on reubens. I hate cabbage and boiled potatoes are not exciting.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm part Irish, but, similar to you, I will scavenge any and all holidays in order to have an excuse to eat and drink swell stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
My wife made three types of Irish soda bread.

Yes. We do have Irish ancestry. However, we have no problem celebrating Cinco de Mayo, and we are not Mexican. I think these sorts of occasions introduce us to new foods, and other cultures.
Exactly my point. I'm Irish and Mexican, luckily (lol, excuse to eat and drink), but I'll celebrate anything. I've learned a lot from this food forum. I'm not completely adventurous, some things will always make me queasy, but I try to keep an open mind (palette).

Corned beef and cabbage ------->

Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Hubby made Corned Beef Brisket for the first time tonight. We were not thrilled with it. As my fourteen year old said it tasted like salty ham. He also made Colcannon, which he had made before. That was tasty. I made Irish Soda bread which turned out well, but wasn't very sweet. I think I'll try a new recipe next year for it.
I have a great recipe for you. It's sweet but on overly sweet and the bread is cake like and not dry. I'll dredge up the post in recipe forums.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
We did corned beef and cabbage with new potatoes. It was delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink