Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best tasting milk?
4% / whole 58 63.04%
2% 16 17.39%
1% 5 5.43%
0% / skim 7 7.61%
all horrible 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It was a reasonable question, as most people I've met who express complete disgust for milk in the terms you have used, as opposed to simply not liking it or being unable to tolerate it, are hard-core vegans.

As for nutrients most would refuse to eat, what nutrients? Chemical additives and artificial flavorings, preservatives, etc? Perhaps, although many, if not most, eat them daily, but they are not nutrients.

Milk, meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits, grains = food.

Pee and poop = not food.

Literally.
Would you eat cat? See, it’s not so simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
whole milk - don't be afraid of the fat

if drinking animal based milk doesn't do it for you due to the puss content allowed in milk by FDA, flax seed milk tastes pretty darn good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Organic whole milk.

I have yet to taste antibiotics/meds or puss in a glass of organic whole milk like I have in non organic.
You guys. It's "pus," not puss.

And there's no pus in milk.

https://fitnessreloaded.com/pus-in-milk/

Old 03-22-2018, 09:19 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Would you eat cat? See, it’s not so simple.
I am inclined to say absolutely not, although if I were facing starvation my answer might be different. If I had been raised in a culture that normally ate cat, I am sure it would.

The thing is, you said yourself that you can understand putting milk in coffee or on cereal, so it's really kind of strange that you are so obsessed with the alleged grossness of drinking it from a glass. Body fluid is body fluid, right? Maybe someone really did **** in your cornflakes.

This started as a discussion of what kind of milk people like. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Whole milk tastes best. I prefer organic if the store I normally shop has it in stock the day I go there. If organic is not available, I will get the regular name brand whole milk.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm not exceptionally picky, and will drink whatever milk. But I enjoy whole the most.

Growing up, skim was not purchased in my household (only 2%), and I always assumed I wouldn't like it. My college cafeteria had the milk dispensing machines with the chrome levers and giant bags of milk inside. About 1 spigot on each machine was 2%, the rest were skim. I started drinking skim, because there was always a line at the 2% dispensers and I didn't feel like waiting in line. Turned out, skim was fine for drinking or on cereal.

For cooking and baking, I use whole. My toddler drinks whole. My husband drinks skim. I mostly use half and half, and mostly use it in hot beverages. I don't like other dairy but heavy cream or half and half in coffee. If milk is all that's on hand, I'll drink my coffee black.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:12 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Thanks for catching my blunder!

I promise you, I DO know the difference.

Why I added the extra "s" I have not a clue. I blame it on all of these: old age, auto correct, quick type, and multitasking?

Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

A lot of it is psychosomatic.

Once you've decided that you will probably be able to detect impurities of whatever nature in something, that's typically going to color your perception, and you'll "taste" whatever it is that you expect to taste/fear tasting. Loads of placebo/double blind experiments have been done to this effect. You'll never be able to convince someone who truly believes there is something disgusting in their food or drink that it's not there once they've decided that it's there.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I worked in a dairy processing plant most of my life and the milk i like best is the 5%.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I use 2% or whole milk in my cereal and half and half in my morning tea. I rarely drink a glass of milk unless I'm eating a chocolate type dessert and even then it must be very cold.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A lot of it is psychosomatic.

Once you've decided that you will probably be able to detect impurities of whatever nature in something, that's typically going to color your perception, and you'll "taste" whatever it is that you expect to taste/fear tasting. Loads of placebo/double blind experiments have been done to this effect. You'll never be able to convince someone who truly believes there is something disgusting in their food or drink that it's not there once they've decided that it's there.
Dairy cows are notorious for getting mastitis. When a cow is infected, greater than 90% of the somatic cells in her milk are neutrophils. That's not imagination, misinformation, hype, or whatever you choose to label it. Sadly, for the consumer and cow, that's reality.

The problem would end there-- if not for those dairy farmers who are unscrupulous; and therefore not opposed to breaking the rules. And most of the time when they are caught, they only receive a slap on the wrist. But most of them don't get caught, and that's the thing. We, the consumers, catch it via our systems. And woe unto them that suffer from hyperosmia!

It IS all about profit and the bottom line. So ladies, it is best to bear that in mind when trying to discern or dismiss. There remains a great possibility and high probability regardless of what is written on the subject.

Might I add this; antibiotics used to treat such infections can also come through. Think of it in relation to human breast milk and you'll get the picture.

Next time you have an infection, and are put on an antibiotic, open up the bottle and get a whiff. That same smell can be easily picked up by your chemosensory system while consuming concentrated anything. And it is the reason why people often unwittingly detect antibiotics in milk. In layman's terms? The nose, knows!!!!!

But hell, what do I know?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

Not all antibiotics smell the same (or smell), treat the same conditions, or can be used. We are talking ones like amoxicillin, penicillin, etc. I think you get the picture.

Last edited by picklejuice; 03-23-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink