Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:08 AM

95 posts, read 110,205 times

Advertisements

Most often I go to lunch to our eatery on the first floor of our office building. The second place in terms of frequency is taken by the lunches from home placed in plastic containers. When I do so I eat in the small kitchen on our floor in the office. Rarely if I neither lunch in our eatery nor take food from home I go to the nearest groceries to buy some food.

Most of my coworkers, who don’t take their food from home, go to lunch together in small groups to the eatery in our office or somewhere else. I prefer to go there alone though. I don’t get much of a joy eating together with someone else. It distracts me from the process of eating and having pleasure from food.

What is your attitude towards lunches on job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The only job I've had as an adult, you cram bites in here and there while you're working.

There is no designated protected time to sit and eat.

I guess I'm ok with that bc I don't know how else it would work.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Mostly on my own. I don't see a point of going as a group, and no, I am not anti-social. I simply don't want any rumor or drama because I hang out with this or that group of people. Jealously at work kills, and it could be devastating sometime.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
We don't really have an eatery in our building, but we have a kiosk and each day it's occupied by a local restaurant. Thursdays is a great taco place, so I usually have tacos on Thursdays. That usually involves sitting in the atrium, but it's currently being renovated, so I just come back to my desk.

Some days I bring lunch from home, heat it up in the breakroom (glass containers ... I don't like heating plastic), and bring it to my desk. I'm trying to do a better job of bringing food from home.

Other days I'll go out to get lunch. Sometimes alone, sometimes with coworkers. I've never had an issue with rumors or drama.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I try to mostly bring lunch from home. Healthier and cheaper. Often eat at my desk but am trying to make an effort to eat either in the break room or the cafe. Sometimes it's good to just get away. Now that the weather is better I'll resume walking at lunch as well.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The only job I've had as an adult, you cram bites in here and there while you're working.

There is no designated protected time to sit and eat.

I guess I'm ok with that bc I don't know how else it would work.
It is sad to know some people don't have a lunch time. It is important for one's mental and physical health to have some breaks within a work day. Lunch is the hour when you can either eat or take a stroll in the neighborhood - just do something to relax and refill your body's engine. All work and no play reminds me of slavery in a way. Except for cases people voluntarily give up their lunch time to pursue career purposes.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I am not anti-social.
What is anti-social? Is it the right term here? I prefer solitude in many cases of my life. E.g., not only do I prefer eating alone, but walking alone from job too to the nearest subway station at the end of my working day. Some people walk home in groups or couples though. Yet I enjoy talking with people, and job that doesn't require communicating with other people is not my cup of tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I simply don't want any rumor or drama because I hang out with this or that group of people.
I assume it is a good indicator that corporate culture is not that good in your company.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
There are a couple of food courts and food trucks on campus, but I always bring lunch from home. I either eat outside or in my car, because its my only "alone time" to read or go for a walk. I was eating in my cubicle all winter, but one of my co-workers has boundary issues and likes to ask me work-related questions if I am there during lunch, so I'm glad the weather is getting nicer again.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
I like to sit in my car and people watch. Always good for a laugh or two. It`s amazing watching how people park, and as they walk by you get to see how they dress, and the shoes they wear. Sometimes I cringe, and say how in the heck can they spend the day in those shoes....oops, getting OT

Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
There are a couple of food courts and food trucks on campus, but I always bring lunch from home. I either eat outside or in my car, because its my only "alone time" to read or go for a walk. I was eating in my cubicle all winter, but one of my co-workers has boundary issues and likes to ask me work-related questions if I am there during lunch, so I'm glad the weather is getting nicer again.
I had a similar problem, but I wasn't willing to walk all the way out to my car just to avoid my coworkers. So I printed out a sign that said "On my lunch break. I'm not really here. I'm just a figment of your imagination. I will return at 1:00" and I tape it above my head during my lunch hour. When a coworker approaches with a question, I don't even turn around. I just point to the sign and keep eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink