Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 AM

612 posts, read 1,513,660 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wish to cook some food in advance over the weekend and want to freeze it, so I don't have to spend time in cooking every single day. I was thinking to make some curries and some veggie patty/cutlets.

Which would be the best place to buy ziploc freezer bags in bulk? Has anyone tried freezing food in regular ziploc sandwich bags (The box for sandwich bags doesn't say freezable, so not sure if I can put it in freezer or not)?

Also is there any other best within budget way to freeze the food other than in ziploc bags?

Last edited by optimisticStar; 04-19-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 07:52 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Costco. They have lots of food-service supplies and large packages of Ziplock bags of various sizes, sometimes on sale. Otherwise, if there is a restaurant supply store near you, they might have something suitable.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I buy big boxes of Ziplock bags at Sam's. You can freeze food in regular bags or freezer bags. The food will taste good longer in the freezer bag because it's less likely to get freezer burn.

These are what I use to freeze individual meals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They go in the freezer and in the microwave, so it's easy to thaw your food. You can get different sizes. They're reusable and dishwasher safe.

An easy way to freeze patties or cutlets is to put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer, on parchment paper. Then once they're frozen hard, peel them off the parchment and store them in a freezer bag. That way you can get out one or two as you need them.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Costco. They have lots of food-service supplies and large packages of Ziplock bags of various sizes, sometimes on sale. Otherwise, if there is a restaurant supply store near you, they might have something suitable.
I do have costco membership, so might look over there. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy big boxes of Ziplock bags at Sam's. You can freeze food in regular bags or freezer bags. The food will taste good longer in the freezer bag because it's less likely to get freezer burn.

These are what I use to freeze individual meals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They go in the freezer and in the microwave, so it's easy to thaw your food. You can get different sizes. They're reusable and dishwasher safe.

An easy way to freeze patties or cutlets is to put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer, on parchment paper. Then once they're frozen hard, peel them off the parchment and store them in a freezer bag. That way you can get out one or two as you need them.
Those containers on Amazon look good and are within my budget too, but I might have issues with freezer space if I use those. Since I am just starting with the freezing food idea, I might start with freezer bags first and then it would give me idea of how much space am left with. Since am making curries, it will lie flat in the freezer bags and will hold up many more bags then.

I wish to cook and freeze for 2 weeks breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I can eat more of home cooked food.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
If you have the room, get a chest freezer. Another useful gadget for make-ahead cooking is a vacuum sealer. Meats and hard baked goods fare much better in the freezer if the air is removed.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
If you have the room, get a chest freezer. Another useful gadget for make-ahead cooking is a vacuum sealer. Meats and hard baked goods fare much better in the freezer if the air is removed.
I had thought about getting a small freezer, but don't want to invest in it now.. I have plans of moving to a different city soon if I get a better job offer somewhere. My apt fridge now has a decent size freezer to hold food for 2-3 weeks provided I store them in something which doesn't take too much height. I did think about vacuum sealer as well, but I have mostly seen that being used for raw meat or fresh veggies... not sure if it will work on cooked food or curries.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:04 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I've had good luck with bags specifically for freezing....keeps away freezer burn.

Also have used plastic freezer containers, even glass containers with lids if you have room.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I have used ziplocks for freezing home made soups, so I think they will work fine in your curries, lieing them flat, does help save space. I like hedgehogs idea to freeze the patties on a tray, & then bag them, it will help them from sticking to one another.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

Do you just keep the tray open in the freezer for sometime or separate out the patties on the tray and leave them out for a while until it dries and then bag it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink