Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:14 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times

Advertisements

You guys! This thread is a tasty as your cooking must be. I just took time to reread all the way through and I could imagine us all driving to meet in a country inn where we are sitting around a large table smiling and nodding. Everyone's piping up with such enthusiasm and encouragement, learning new things and appreciating like-spirits. Makes me smile.

There is something about the homemaking arts that makes people who enjoy them pleasant people to know. In the day, when I was too busy and sometimes felt overwhelmed, I used to pack up the kids and go to the fabric store or the green house for a little while. We'd find the same gentle generosity there and return home feeling nurtured and with new ideas for enhancing our environment.

My mother-in-law had seven boys and they were farmers who ate huge meals. Watching her make three whole meals a day and lunches in between made my head spin. Just imagine the logistics of pancakes for that bunch. And fried potatoes. Her cast iron skillets were enormous.

I think there were three "exotic spices" in the house: cinnamon, chili powder and garlic powder. Simplicity and speed were the order of the day. But everything was fresh and tasty.

I paid attention and when I cook like that for DH and hear him say it tastes like his mother's cooking I know I've had a success. That simple food just caused happiness in two people in the kitchen. Maybe even some good old memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You guys! This thread is a tasty as your cooking must be. I just took time to reread all the way through and I could imagine us all driving to meet in a country inn where we are sitting around a large table smiling and nodding. Everyone's piping up with such enthusiasm and encouragement, learning new things and appreciating like-spirits. Makes me smile.

There is something about the homemaking arts that makes people who enjoy them pleasant people to know. In the day, when I was too busy and sometimes felt overwhelmed, I used to pack up the kids and go to the fabric store or the green house for a little while. We'd find the same gentle generosity there and return home feeling nurtured and with new ideas for enhancing our environment.

My mother-in-law had seven boys and they were farmers who ate huge meals. Watching her make three whole meals a day and lunches in between made my head spin. Just imagine the logistics of pancakes for that bunch. And fried potatoes. Her cast iron skillets were enormous.

I think there were three "exotic spices" in the house: cinnamon, chili powder and garlic powder. Simplicity and speed were the order of the day. But everything was fresh and tasty.

I paid attention and when I cook like that for DH and hear him say it tastes like his mother's cooking I know I've had a success. That simple food just caused happiness in two people in the kitchen. Maybe even some good old memories.
I love your posts. They always make me feel like you told me a bedtime story. (Not that they make me sleepy, no. They make the day seem brighter. And sweeter.)

Old 05-01-2018, 12:32 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love your posts. They always make me feel like you told me a bedtime story. (Not that they make me sleepy, no. They make the day seem brighter. And sweeter.)

Right? I thought what they wrote was beautiful - but I was out of Reps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Right? I thought what they wrote was beautiful - but I was out of Reps.
I repped her for both of us. I told her that she is a special lady. Good?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:50 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,240,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Ditto, I was out of Reps for dearest Lodestar..She is an Angel.

I Got a little tear workin' here..what a marvelous, touching, and poignant post.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's brilliant! I use the pickle juice in tuna salad, and the pepperonccini juice in a greek orzo salad. Good stuff!!
sounds like a plan..

There is a Puerto Rican dish my wife makes, Beef steak with onions

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15...ec-encebollao/

This is about the same as she makes it..but she uses some liquid from a jar of hot pepoer rings ( and some chopped peppers too) the vinegar from the juice really tenderizes the tough but tasty cut of Beef.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:13 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
1. I used to have a problem with the bottoms burning of cookies or biscuits, by the time the top was cooked right, and per the directions, the bottoms had burned. I learned somewhere that you can, if you have (as I do) a set of cookie sheets in different sizes, put a slightly smaller one underneath the one you're cooking on, and that prevents the burned bottoms! Simple, and it works.

2. I always liked canned Del Monte green beans (I don't even like fresh green beans, only the canned ones!) My Mom used to fry them in butter. I don't do that. I combine a can of those, a can of sliced or cubed potatoes, and a can of beef broth. Cook on the stovetop on medium or even medium-high heat, let the broth cook down into the potatoes and green beans. Very flavorful!

3. Fun and easy summertime treat. Ice cream pies. I get the pre-made oreo or graham crusts, any ice cream that does not have ribbons or chunks, any toppings I like, and cool whip. As an example, a coffee one might have an oreo crust, coffee flavored ice cream, chocolate pieces or cookies or candy or sprinkles or syrup, whatever ya like, then the cool whip and decorate the surface. You have to let the ice cream melt somewhat to get it into the pie crust, then re-freeze, then decorate, put on the cool whip, etc, then freeze solid before serving. Many options to combine cookies, candies, syrups, fruit, whatever your fancy. For a really easy thing to make (good, too, for kids) it sure has impressed guests.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,170,165 times
My desert island must-haves: salt, garlic, lemons, tomatoes, parsley. Without these, I almost can't function.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
My desert island must-haves: salt, garlic, lemons, tomatoes, parsley. Without these, I almost can't function.
I have a DESSERT island must-have -- chocolate -- but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have a DESSERT island must-have -- chocolate -- but that's a whole 'nuther story.
haha..my must have is Ginger *

*and Maryann.

Giiligan, little buddy,....take a hike..go pick us some coconuts and bananas.

Danke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink