Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:47 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Thanks! That's doable and I would welcome another option.

I'm in the Denver area as well and have been terribly disappointed at the Safeway stores here. The two nearest me closed, so I rarely shop at Safeway anymore, but before that, it always seemed like their employees were so unhappy, the stores were dark, and none of them had self checkouts. It was common to go in and see 8 people line with no express lane open. I would often fill a basket and walk out after seeing the line. Though I'm not a fan of Kroger, but their KS stores here are my best option. I'm at a Sprouts almost daily for produce but I've become disillusioned with them as well. And what is it with stocking grocery stores in this area? It seems they don't even start restocking until noonish. I moved from an area where the stocking was still done over night, so you could actually find milk, eggs, and fresh produce at 10 am.

Last edited by Gorges; 06-28-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I base where I shop on price, selection and esthetics. If your store parking lot is trashy, or the store lighting is dim, I probably won’t be back. And I like selections within categories. How many whole wheat flours does a store carry? How many sorts of rice? I want choices, and I want to be able to select the healthier option.

I pay no attention to supermarket games. But if something I would normally buy is on sale, I’ll buy extra.

My point is, shop where you feel prices are reasonable and don’t play their stupid games. If Safeway seems better than King Sooper, then shop there and ignore the stuff that irritates you.

In my world, its Winco for bulk items, packaged foods, pork, chicken and beef, coffee, cereal, bread, etc. Then its Whole Foods for organic produce such as apples and other foods I eat raw, yogurt, seeds, chocolate, frozen veggies, low sodium broth and a few other items.

I visit Safeway occasionally. They do carry the brown rice I prefer. And they carry organic produce.

I have chosen how I shop. I don’t do coupons, games, or newspaper ads. You should choose what works for you. If you like the food quality and selection of Safeway, then shop there, YOUR way.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I like my "club card" I have for my two local Piggly Wigglys. You get cents off a gasoline purchase of up to 15 gallons. Let them add up, and you can get quite a savings on filling your tank!

Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I like my "club card" I have for my two local Piggly Wigglys. You get cents off a gasoline purchase of up to 15 gallons. Let them add up, and you can get quite a savings on filling your tank!
Yes, our King Soopers has that too. I think you can save up to a dollar a gallon, although I think the very highest I've gotten was 50 cents. I share a card with my mom so our purchases combine, although she usually lets me get the benefit of the gas savings. The Safeway does as well, although there are fewer locations and not all of them have gas stations, at least in my vicinity

Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Most of my shopping is at Publix, and if I don’t want the second BOGO item, I still get the sale price.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
We have 2 grocery stores (Publix and Winn Dixie) and a Penn Dutch within 2 miles from our home and less than that from each other. Each week the Publix and Winn Dixie offer several "Bogo" items and the Penn Dutch has several weekly specials, plus they offer "Flash Sales" to those signed up to receive E-mail for the weekly ad. One "Flash Sale" they offered flank steak in cryopacks of two for $3.99 per pound and in that weeks ad split chicken breasts were .99 per pound in family packs.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, our King Soopers has that too. I think you can save up to a dollar a gallon, although I think the very highest I've gotten was 50 cents. I share a card with my mom so our purchases combine, although she usually lets me get the benefit of the gas savings. The Safeway does as well, although there are fewer locations and not all of them have gas stations, at least in my vicinity
In addition to the gas savings, the thing I like most about KS is the availability of reloadable gift cards that rebate to an organization of your choice. That money adds up and has made a serious dent in the fees we pay for our youngest to participate in an expensive extracurricular music program.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:31 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In addition to the gas savings, the thing I like most about KS is the availability of reloadable gift cards that rebate to an organization of your choice. That money adds up and has made a serious dent in the fees we pay for our youngest to participate in an expensive extracurricular music program.
Yes, I chair the PTO at my son's school and we appreciate the money that comes in from the KS cards. The only problem is when kids are in different schools or other activities (church, synagogue, etc) then it's a fight whose card gets the wallet space! lol!

Old 06-28-2018, 12:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Kroger in my area has these Buy 4 or 5 or 10 item sales every week. Usually I can find any the number of items needed for the discount, but I also tend to be a stock-up while it's on sale shopper.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:09 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
We have Smith's in Albuquerque as our Kroger-owned chain. They have the same sort of mix and match deals where you must buy in quantities specified to get the prices, but they also usually have 10 for 10 deals where you can buy any quantity of item and still get the sale price. These deals usually include things like a loaf of sandwich bread, margarine, boxed items like Rice-a-Roni and canned items like evaporated milk.

Albertsons is the other major supermarket chain here and they have quantity requirements in order to get the sale price as well, but on their "2 for" sale items you can usually just buy one and still get the sale price per item.

Something I wanted to mention for people who don't like the quantity requirements at these stores is to try buying the sale items at Walmart and using their Savings Catcher feature. Every time I've done so Walmart has given me the sale price on each item no matter if I bought the amount specified by the other stores.

This has drawbacks as well since you have to go through an extra hassle to enter the receipts, pay Walmart's price first and then can only use the money that you get back through Savings Catcher at Walmart. I shop enough at Walmart and use the QR code to scan my receipts, so it's not that big of a deal for me to do this. But it's just a suggestion.

We have a couple of smaller chains and a few independent grocery stores here in Albuquerque that are members of Affiliated Foods that usually have sale prices with no quantity requirements on items. Lowe's and John Brooks Supermart are the small chains and Stadium Supermarket and Silver Street Market in and around Downtown Albuquerque are the locations of these AF stores that I frequent and shop their sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink