Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

One of my goals this summer was to get rid of all of the food in both my freezers. So far, I have been relatively successful in that I cleaned out (and turned off) my small freezer. How, i am working on the one connected to my refrigerator.

I found a package of pork this afternoon called "Whole Brisket Bones" that i bought from a Mexican grocery. Honestly, I do not have a good idea as to what it is. Initially, my temptation was to simmer it and make a pho stock with it. However, we have been eating a lot of soup this summer and I would like some other ideas as to what to do with it.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 04:14 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I've never even heard of a pork brisket!

This was an interesting read: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/pork-brisket/

I gather brisket bones are rib tips, whatever those are.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=196638

Old 07-12-2018, 06:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
we use to call them rib tips... or flanken style pork ribs....

depending of how much meat they left on them..... you can use for a stock...or slow cook and eat what you can

Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
If it's rib tips with meat, you can marinate them in a little corn starch and lite soy sauce, then cover in Lee Kum Kee black bean garlic sauce and steam them with a few scallions for 20 mins. Serve over rice.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Having lived in mexico and shopped in many Hispanic grocery stores, I've learned that the meats are often labeled with incorrect U.S. terms. I suspect the word "brisket" is completely inaccurate. Most likely it's good old, plain pork bones.

I buy them occasionally, and use them for things like:

Pho (rarely - it's too much of a PITA - easier to go to a restaurant).l

Making a good, rich at jus for pork roast or pork chops that have too little fat.

Pork stock that I use in some chicken soups. It adds a richness, an unami, that I like when I make Mexican or Chinese chicken type soups. But definitely NOT in standard, Jewish style chicken soup.

One of my favorites is putting them into spaghetti sauce that is simmered for hours. Those things add flavor that is wonderful.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:43 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
The package was just under 3# and the price was $2.67. When I purchased them, I really thought that I was buying spare ribs as that is how they looked. MOST rib tips that I have purchase in the Midwest are packaged like a roast.

I allowed them to thaw out completely. This morning, I opened the cryovac ... and they were rib tips. I cut them into manageable pieces and places them into a stock pot where they are braising. Since there is a lot of meat, I have three meals planned.

First, I will take half of the meat and cook it with Saverne Artisanal Kraut and craft beer and Granny Smith apples.

The second meal will be cooked in my favorite BBQ sauce - 5 parts of Show-me Liquid Smoke BBQ Sauce from Columbia, MO with 1 part of Cajun Power Garlic Sauce from Abbeville, LA.

The third meal will be pho-like as I have so m any rice noodles and scallions.

I hoping to get meals out of this meat.

Thanks for the ideas.

With the braising spices, this house is smelling really fine.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:32 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Where I live that is what you get from the Asian take-out places when ordering boneless spare ribs which is marinated as char siu in this case. It is the left over meat from a rack(NOT baby back) of pork ribs after trimming into a St Louis style rack. Low and slow is definitely the way to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink