Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Ditto, I've got a 1L nalgene that goes everywhere with me. If I drink less than 3 of those in a day, I'm getting dehydration headaches. On days when I'm outside sweating/working, it's not unusual to drink 6 (gallon and a half). One of those things I don't know how I managed life without.
When I reflect back to always reaching for a soda when I was thirsty - I can't imagine how many empty calories it was (not that wine doesn't have empty calories)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I found that diet sods upset my stomach. I now limit my consumption to the times we eat out for burgers or Mexican.

I buy flavored sparkling water and flavor filtered water for drinking, or I’ll drink Whole Foods brand of flavored sparkling water. Our local water tastes of chlorine, and even filtering does not totally get rid of the taste. I will also drink plain filtered water though. The flavored sparkling water comes out when I have guests.

I think drinking plain water is best. Even diet soda will ruin the enamel on one’s teeth. I just don’t like the taste of our water, even filtered.

In this hot weather, I’ll take leftover coffee and make iced coffee. I like it with cream and sugar free coffee syrup.

In cooler weather, we’ll often have a cup of tea in the afternoon. In the evening, I might make myself a cup of herbal tea.

Of course we also drink coffee.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I have had a habit of drinking soda and I’m trying to quit; anybody else here that is trying to give up on soda also?
I quit drinking sugary beverages and instead drink diet cola. Sugar is far more damaging than anything in diet drinks. A lot of people refuse to drink it because the aspartame in it is a health risk. There are 200 g of aspartame in each soda and science says our max per day is 2000. You can get caffeine free sodas too.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I bought a 6 pack of 12oz diet Pepsi about 5 days ago and I drank three of them. That might last a month. Sometimes I just take a couple of sips of one one day and finish it the next. Other times I don't drink any of it for days. I still enjoy an ice cold soda on a hot day. Everything in moderation. Yeah I wish that worked for my sugar addiction. I don't understand how I can quit Oxycodone cold turkey and not miss it, but three days without sugar? I'm crawling the walls looking for my next fix. Soda is the least of my problem.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I also love regular Coca Cola and would buy it in cans and promised myself to only have one a day, which I mostly stuck to. Then the local discount place had San Pellegrino water, sparkling with fruit juice, and I tried it and much prefer that. All the flavored sparkling waters I've tried taste like carbonated salt to me. Even with the San Pellegrino, which is way less sugar than Coke, I try to have no more than 1 a day. I do like bubbly stuff, but I ran the numbers and one bottle of champagne a day is jut not on.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Lemonade with stevia sweetener. Love our fizzy water too....

Old 08-15-2018, 11:30 AM

1,371 posts, read 669,702 times
I used to drink a lot of coke and sweet tea. Pretty much cut both out years ago and started drinking water. Yes, it was hard for a while. I'll get A coke or coffee when we're eating out once or twice on weekends, but that's it unless I have a rum and coke or mix up a batch of Long Island Ice Tea.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:35 AM

840 posts, read 774,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I quit drinking sugary beverages and instead drink diet cola. Sugar is far more damaging than anything in diet drinks. A lot of people refuse to drink it because the aspartame in it is a health risk. There are 200 g of aspartame in each soda and science says our max per day is 2000. You can get caffeine free sodas too.

Stevia is a non-chemical plant-based sweetener that has been safely used for a very long time in other countries, more recently here. Hard to find one that isn't bitter, but I like Trader Joe's PURE Stevia Powder (no fillers or anything else added). 1/32 of a teaspoon sweetens a cup of food or a beverage.

Aspartame gets stored in the body & builds up, and had no redeeming qualities . . . but a lot of problems associatedwith it, as do the other chemical sweeteners.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I also love regular Coca Cola and would buy it in cans and promised myself to only have one a day, which I mostly stuck to. Then the local discount place had San Pellegrino water, sparkling with fruit juice, and I tried it and much prefer that. All the flavored sparkling waters I've tried taste like carbonated salt to me. Even with the San Pellegrino, which is way less sugar than Coke, I try to have no more than 1 a day. I do like bubbly stuff, but I ran the numbers and one bottle of champagne a day is jut not on.
Yes, I've pretty much stopped drinking "fully loaded" type soda. Coke was the main one I liked or a berry flavor, none of the others really. It wasn't the caffeine so didn't notice the withdrawal. Never drank more than two a day so maybe I was on the low end of addiction anyway. Never could stomach diet types. Tried the stevia types and returned them after one can; yuck. Some people find stevia bitter and I'm one of them. I am still trying to find a flavored seltzer that actually tastes like something, but not much luck. They are sort of like many herbal teas....a bit of fragrance and maybe a hint of flavor for the first couple of sips, but after that it's just slightly bitter water.

I found it helped to start diluting them...2/3 or 1/2 of the "real" stuff mixed with plain seltzer. I do the same with iced teas. San Pellegrino seltzers are great and I've found some "slightly sweet" bottled teas. Served very cold. Luckily I have always enjoyed 1% milk, not lactose-intolerant. My house is on well water which doesn't taste great, but installing a reverse osmosis filter at the kitchen sink solved that one. So much of it is stopping that almost reflex reach for the soda and having alternatives right on hand.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
I quit in 2014 and it wasn't that hard. I wish I had quit sooner. My vice was diet soda and my goal was to give up all artificial sweeteners. I did continue to consume coffee so I didn't have to deal with caffeine withdrawal. Every once in a while I will get a craving for a diet soda when I see someone else drinking one but typically I don't think about it.

I have had regular soda maybe 5-10 times since quitting...ginger ale once or twice when sick and the other times mixed into alcoholic beverages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink