Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times

Advertisements

I just can't help it. Every time this pops up in the sidebar - even though I've read the whole thread and responded twice- I think, "Now whatever could that person have done to their medical marijuana that they are worried about its safety?"

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,525 times
Am I the only one who read the title of this thread and thought the OP found mold on her marijuana buds or something like that?!

Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I use it every Sunday on top of the stove to simmer a week's supply of kidney beans (roof off) and brown rice (roof on). I'm sure you're familiar with the type of pot, i.e., black metal with white dots. The problem is the roof, or, more specifically, its ceiling. There are little rust spots. The last thing I need in my blood is more iron.
Donating blood if you are able will help to bring down your iron stores.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why are you not wanting more iron, in most people, any excess iron is treated as body waste. But use a non rusted lid, if you can't get the current one cleaned with the steel pad, as previously suggested.
Iron above a certain amount is very toxic, and will be stored in the organs of your body. The body only uses approx 1 mg of iron a day so it can build up in your system. The most common genetic disease there is that nobody has heard of is Iron Overload, or Hemochromatosis which can kill you. People of Celtic, and Northern European heritage are more apt to have inherited this. About 1/4 of the Irish have it. I do, and give blood to bring down the levels. And I avoid cast iron cookware, and anything with iron in it. Women are protected by the blood loss of their periods till after meno. Men don't have that protection. When you lose blood the body pulls iron from storage in your organs to make new blood lowering the storage iron levels.

Donating blood just one time a year can lower risk of heart attack in men by 50%. This from the link below.

Iron Disorders Institute:: Classic Hemochromatosis

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-26-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 04:00 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
My crab steaming pot is similar and over the years it has gotten a little rust in spots. Guess Old Bay, salt and vinegar have take their tolls on it.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Soak it in vinegar (acetic acid) for a couple days and the rust will be gone. Muriatic acid is faster, but you have to go to a welding supply shop to find it, and it's dangerous. Come to think of it, a paint store may have muriatic acid. You have to "pickle" galvanized metal to get paint to adhere.

Any grocery store will have vinegar. Just buy a gallon of the cheapest white vinegar on the shelves and leave the metal covered with it until the rust is gone. This works for any rusty object, like scissors, knives, or what have you. Once you clean it up, you can paint the rusty spots with phosphoric acid, which is sold under the trade name of "Rust Reformer." It will keep the rust from reappearing. Follow the directions on the can.
thanks for the tip. Our air fryer even gets a little rust on it if we leave it to dry. Usually I can get the rust out pretty easy. I am not about to toss everything that has a little rust on it. I guess I am just not as paranoid about some things as others.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Barkeeper's friend can get rid of rust.
Do you have any lids from other pans to try?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Why keep around a rusty pot? They are so inexpensive now just go and pick up a replacement.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I just can't help it. Every time this pops up in the sidebar - even though I've read the whole thread and responded twice- I think, "Now whatever could that person have done to their medical marijuana that they are worried about its safety?"

LOL!
I know! Same here.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
If it's just the underside of the lid that has a couple of rust spots, no big deal. If you are concerned it is leaking iron, cover the underside of the lid with tin foil, bringing it up and over onto the top of the lid. Use the lid as normal.

Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink