Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I hate egg whites. I LOVE THE YOLKS! With all this genetic engineering, how about coming up with a chicken that lays giant yolks and little or no whites? Well that's not going to happen given that it would throw the whole hatching-the-next generation thing right out the window, but it's my dream ...

I think I'm going to start putting the whites aside and freezing them to add to the next batch of bird bread. It'll be good for the birds. Then I can have my cholesterol-laden-but-yummy yolks pretty much all by themselves. (I hate waste, can't have meringue since I'm diabetic, I feel the need to do SOMETHING with the whites - other than eat them)
If you're putting egg whites into bread to feed the birds and they eat it, isn't that, like, cannibalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Brown eggs aren't really any different in makeup than other color eggs. Different breeds just lay different shell colors.

The thicker white in an egg is the chalazae. It anchors the yolk in the egg white. Totally normal, and all eggs have it. It is sometimes more noticeable in fresher eggs.
I've noticed that with the jumbo eggs, the shells are much thinner than regular eggs. On occasion when I've had to buy large eggs, I tap them lightly to break the shell and am always surprised when I have to use more force to break them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 12:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My Winco has stopped carrying the jumbo eggs. Phooey!

I like getting a double yolk too.
I know! Makes me furious!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Brown eggs aren't really any different in makeup than other color eggs. Different breeds just lay different shell colors.

The thicker white in an egg is the chalazae. It anchors the yolk in the egg white. Totally normal, and all eggs have it. It is sometimes more noticeable in fresher eggs.
Not from my experience. Brown eggs are a bit "Rougher" tasting. Still good, but prefer the white ones.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Aren't double eggs twins if they were to mature into chicks?
I'm always a bit reluctant to point this out, because I feel I am telling people something they already know. So, apologize if you were just making a joke.

The yolk of the egg is not a baby chick and it is not going to turn into a chick.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:04 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,338,548 times
I only buy farm eggs, both duck and chicken eggs. The chicken eggs are not very large but they often have double yolks. I've never found that in duck eggs which I love. Duck eggs have much thicker shells and don't seem to work as well as the chicken eggs in some baking.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If you're putting egg whites into bread to feed the birds and they eat it, isn't that, like, cannibalism? .

I thought the same thing - I'm glad you posted it first.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm always a bit reluctant to point this out, because I feel I am telling people something they already know. So, apologize if you were just making a joke.

The yolk of the egg is not a baby chick and it is not going to turn into a chick.
Why wouldn't it turn into two chicks if it was fertilized and not taken for our use? Explain please to this city girl.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:22 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Why wouldn't it turn into two chicks if it was fertilized and not taken for our use? Explain please to this city girl.
For the first reason that the yolk is not a chick, no matter whether or not the egg has been fertilized.

If there are two yolks and each yolk has a gamete attached to it, and both gametes get fertilized ( which isn't guaranteed), the egg shell limits growth and there is not enough room inside for two chicks to grow. If two chicks start, they will both die in the shell, long before they get anywhere near large enough to hatch. Just one chick in a shell will be jammed in there so tight it can't move.

The yolk is stored food to feed the growing chick. A sort of lunch box. It's not the chick.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Oh my - I feel like a dumb city girl now. When I was about 5 my sister and I took two eggs out of the refrigerator and tried to incubate them under our pillows. Did I mention I was born in NYC? LOL.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 PM

297 posts, read 166,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I only buy farm eggs, both duck and chicken eggs. The chicken eggs are not very large but they often have double yolks. I've never found that in duck eggs which I love. Duck eggs have much thicker shells and don't seem to work as well as the chicken eggs in some baking.
I've read the opposite about baking using duck eggs. Supposedly, duck eggs make fluffier baked goods. Haven't tried yet... but will ask the wife to use the duck eggs to bake her angel or chiffon cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink