Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:00 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times

Advertisements

I didn't grow up eating this, thank God. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 06:35 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
We'll do both at our T-day potluck party this year and I will take a little survey of which one they prefer most (fresh vs. Canned) I personally have cut green beans in a can regularly as a snack and think they're really nice. Not sure why people are so adverse to them. Healthy and tasty, but I digress. I suspect if people made the green bean casserole from scratch, the biggest issue would be tough-as-leather string beans because most don't know how to cook fresh veg.

What a great tribute to Dorcus Reilly --it tugs on all American's hearts to lose a pioneer who shockingly was able to have her creation become one of those dishes we all look forward to at our family gatherings during the holidays.

Families are the most important, but green-bean casserole is something that will always remind us of those reunions.

May she rest in peace
Yes bless her heart.

I do like green beans though just not in this particular dish.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
RIP to Dorcas Reilly. I hope she got a percentage of all the canned cream soup profits at holiday time.

Didn't grow up with this or any "casserole". I've been a Thanksgiving dinner guest at Italian, Jewish, Menonite, Irish, German and Guyanese American homes. None of them served this green bean casserole. Only heard of it online so this has always been a myth to me.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like the white wine idea, sheena12.
She meant in the casserole.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:44 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I am the only person in North America whose family never served that green bean casserole. When I finally had it (at someone else's house) I thought it was gross. Still do.
A few people here have said that. Our family didn't eat it. I've eaten a few bites of it here and there because someone was serving it.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I don't think that most people are thinking about "healthy" eating on Thanksgiving.
LOL
After the scandals over 'faked' medical trials that wrongly denounced fat as the cause of heart disease (and not sugar), I doubt any authority that claims a certain food is unhealthy.
[See Ketogenic diet for weight loss]

Old 11-03-2018, 09:46 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
RIP Dorcas

I didn't grow up eating this dish, my mom just cooked fresh (or home canned) green beans at almost every meal from our home garden. I didn't come across the casserole until after college. One of my adult sons really likes it and it's on his list of requested foods for Thanksgiving. I've tried to lighten it up and use fresh green beans cooked to death like his grandma did, sauteed mushrooms and cooked onions. I still won't use the canned soup, but the past couple of years I've bought the fried onion rings in a can for anyone who wants to use them as a topper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink