Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Golden Corral isn't quite wedding food. At least not "Four Weddings" honeymoon-winning wedding food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 12:44 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
The restaurants in many city hotels have elaborate Sunday buffets.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Maybe crash a few weddings?

LOL, this would not be that hard to do.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Do you have a culinary school nearby? We used to have one that would hold various events for the public. You would be taking a small chance since these are students, but all in all it's not a bad way to sample food at a reasonable cost.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Go to a decent brunch or buffet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Golden Corral isn't quite wedding food. At least not "Four Weddings" honeymoon-winning wedding food.
I wouldn't consider Golden Corral to be a "decent" buffet.

Check out some of the more upscale hotels in your area. They might have weekend brunch buffets. They definitely will at Easter, so you can at least get your fix of appetizers and desserts once a year.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:58 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The restaurants in many city hotels have elaborate Sunday buffets.
This is true and some of them, while pricey, are truly fabulous. We have one lovely restaurant by a winding river about an hour from us that has a Mother's Day buffet to die for. Rows and rows of choices and the quality of the food is good which can be difficult to find on a buffet.

On my special day I always save room for slivers of tortes, little cream puffs and the well-chosen array of upscale desserts. Who's counting?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Vegas or a cruise ship?

But seriously though, why wedding food? It's usually not much to write home about. Cafeteria food that has been put on a fancier plate and charged a high price.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Vegas or a cruise ship?

But seriously though, why wedding food? It's usually not much to write home about. Cafeteria food that has been put on a fancier plate and charged a high price.
Just because it's (usually) a huge variety of different things to sample. That's my idea of heaven. In fact, I never understood why the three guest brides don't order three different plated meals, when available (it's usually beef, chicken, or fish) and divide each in order to try everything. Then the savories and sweets. If there were any way of ordering in such a spread, I would be in heaven!

The only thing comparable to a wedding spread I've seen was another show in which a chef honored his father on a birthday by preparing that number of dishes for that number or guests; each got only a little bite, and dinner lasted all night. Just heaven!

Old 11-17-2018, 12:49 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Just because it's (usually) a huge variety of different things to sample. .........
You should be able to make any of the food you see. Caterers use pre-prepared short cuts for the tricky stuff, buying puff pastry and phyllo instead of making their own, so any of it should be easy to make at home.

I think that the issue is home preparing so much variety for a small number of diners. You might have to limit yourself to one or two items at each meal, otherwise too much time and too much waste involved.

Costco sells a frozen variety tray of hors d'oeuvres, so you could invite a couple of people to help you eat them all. I don't know if they are tasty, but Costco is usually reliable.

If you have friends who cook, you could have an hors d' oeuvres pot luck and everyone bring something different to share.

You most certainly can make that roast beef or the salmon in puff pastry. Just not at the same time or you would never be able to eat it all.

Make yourself a list of what looks good, and start working your way through it.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Just another thought. If you have a really high end grocery store with a deli in your area, they might sell an assortment of things that you could buy small amounts of.

The store where I shop sells fried chicken and macaroni salads, not high end food, but the more expensive store sell higher end deli items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink