Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 12:25 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive been selling many pork butts wrapped in baby back ribs ….in the stores this summer (something different I tried) I will slow cook one of the grill this afternoon ...while hopefully fishing out on the lake

i will coat with a mix of Chinese rib sauce and sweet baby rays bbq
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out. A picture would be nice.

magicshark, here in MN I don't think I've ever seen a peach kolache. Usually they are prune and sometimes apricot.

Wonder when we'll get tired of sweet corn and watermelon. We aren't there yet. There are so many recipes I want to make now with all the fresh vegetable but we just can't eat as much as we used to

Has anyone ever done ratatouille on the grill? I used to do that for company meals and serve it composed on a platter drizzled with herbs and olive oil. Yum.

I'm thinking about taking a ride down to my hometown for some factory corn. Most of the corn we get here is the yellow and white variety which is quick cooking , crispy and sweet. The kinds they grow down there are designed for canning. The ears are longer, the kernels are deeper and the flavor is a little more starchy. Sometimes I miss it.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:58 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out. A picture would be nice.

magicshark, here in MN I don't think I've ever seen a peach kolache. Usually they are prune and sometimes apricot.

Wonder when we'll get tired of sweet corn and watermelon. We aren't there yet. There are so many recipes I want to make now with all the fresh vegetable but we just can't eat as much as we used to

Has anyone ever done ratatouille on the grill? I used to do that for company meals and serve it composed on a platter drizzled with herbs and olive oil. Yum.

I'm thinking about taking a ride down to my hometown for some factory corn. Most of the corn we get here is the yellow and white variety which is quick cooking , crispy and sweet. The kinds they grow down there are designed for canning. The ears are longer, the kernels are deeper and the flavor is a little more starchy. Sometimes I miss it.
I have never had kolaches. As far as I was told the bakery I went to today is the only place in New England that has them. https://m.facebook.com/wildflourkolaches/ I bought a spinach artichoke, pepperoni, a steak and cheese, peach and chocolate chip ones.

I was told that this was a Texas thing. So I guess not! We plan on doing our family vacation in Door County, WI next summer. Hopefully I can try the real thing there.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:34 PM

157 posts, read 93,109 times
Bacon wrapped scallops and salad with avocado and monterey jack.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Tonight the husband is cooking. He says he is making chicken fried steak. He will also oven roast rosemary potatoes. I am making broccoli rabe. I found a bakery specializing in kolaches while out and about today so that means peach kolaches for dessert.
It is very much a Texas thing, brought by Czech immigrants which has been Americanized over time to an amalgam of the original Kolache and something new. Part of a road trip from Dallas to Austin is stopping in West, Texas, a small town known for the best kolaches in the region. I believe “real” kolaches are always sweet, but my favorites are the ones made with smoked sausage (German immigrant influence) and jalapeños (Texas\Mexico influence). You can get them at any donut shop in Dallas. Darn it, now look what you’ve done. I’ll be hitting the donut shop in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
At 9:00 brats with onions/hot peppers and a big salad (thank you garden for tomatoes!) hit the spot.

Oversized hamburgers aka mini meatloaves of beef and pork from the grill, the never ending salad, sour dough garlic bread. Maybe buttered mushrooms with a bit of bacon and onion.
That all sounds so good!!! How long do you grill the mini meat loaves! Are they in pans?

Old 08-10-2019, 03:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Tonight the husband is cooking. He says he is making chicken fried steak. He will also oven roast rosemary potatoes. I am making broccoli rabe. I found a bakery specializing in kolaches while out and about today so that means peach kolaches for dessert.
Chicken fried steak..... beef cube steak....soaked in milk/or egg whites/egg wash then coated in seasoned flour...and fried ???

Old 08-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Chicken fried steak..... beef cube steak....soaked in milk/or egg whites/egg wash then coated in seasoned flour...and fried ???
It’s best to pound your own beef with a mallet or a cast iron skillet (for the mighty).

I like top round. But I hardly ever make it because:

The preparation of chicken-fried steak is a violent, messy and dangerous affair.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
I've been cutting in and painting bathroom ceilings today, so no way am I gonna cook. From a local Pakistani restaurant, I've ordered vegetable samosa, chaat papri, and chicken chaapli kebabs that come with cholle, naan and a salad. Too much food for dinner, but it will make a nice lunch tomorrow when I take a break from cutting in and painting bathroom walls

Old 08-10-2019, 04:34 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,112 times
SALAD - Kale, red onion, garbanzo beans, dried cranberries, olives, raisins, feta cheese -- tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette
Parmesan breadsticks
Red wine
Berries w/whip cream

Old 08-10-2019, 04:36 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Cranberry - Jaleapeño turkey burger with sweet onion and tomato slices, slice of melted cheese on a multigrain roll and a glass of Simply raspberry lemonade.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:44 PM

My foot is still bugging and we’re living in Hades here (103), so I ordered from JC’s Burger Bar.

We’re going to split a grilled chicken sandwich and a burger with grilled jalapeño, grilled onion, grilled mushroom, and cheddar. I added lettuce and mayo to that one.

French fries and onion rings.

I’m in fat city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink