Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Another post caused me to think about this. I tend not to eat anything special on my birthday. In fact, the thought does not enter my head. I am not a big dessert eater, for one thing, and even though I do like food and cooking I have a hard time naming favorite foods. Almost anything prepared well, will please me.

I do eat more sweets at Christmas though. They are available, I guess, and I do bake then. I like baking, but I don't do more of it throughout the year because I don't want to gain weight.

But, do you guys celebrate birthdays and milestones with food? If you don't mind, share what you do, and what you like to eat. Do you go out? Do you cook? Do you buy a favorite takeout? Do you have a party?

What have I been missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Yes, my family and I go to a restaurant more expensive than Denny's and Applebee's of my choice, like Olive Garden or The Cheesecake Factory or Black Angus.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:22 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Sometimes we'll celebrate each other's birthday by going to a fave restaurant. We rarely have enough room in the belly to order a dessert though.

DH's is any place where he can get a decent brew ��.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Yes, my SO and I will go out to eat for our birthdays. Typically somewhere a little nicer then were we normally would go when eating out. My mom will also offer to take me out to lunch sometime around my birthday, and sometimes my dad and brother will also join us for lunch. We'll also sometimes go out to eat for other family member's birthdays, or will at least all meet up at my parent's for cake and ice cream.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
Yes we celebrate birthdays and milestones with food. When it's a family member's birthday they get to pick what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that day. They can choose to go out to a restaurant of their choosing, or we'll make them a homemade meal of their choice.

For example we just celebrated my daughter's twelfth birthday. She picked donuts for breakfast, and lettuce wraps for dinner which is her favorite meal that I make. I also made her dark chocolate brownies with cream cheese frosting with sprinkles for dessert.

For my birthday year before last we went to my favorite buffet for dinner, and last year we had donuts for breakfast which is my favorite breakfast and Greek food for dinner with Baklava which is one of my favorite desserts of all time.

I can't imagine having a birthday and just eating like it was a normal day. I don't spluge all that often, but I feel like on your birthday you're allowed to.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You've never heard of birthday cake?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
When I was little, when I lived with my parents, my mom let us, the kids, choose what we wanted to eat on our birthday. It wasn't necessarily fancy or extravagant, but it was something that we liked. There was a dessert, too. We didn't have dessert every day, so that was special.

Last edited by Gerania; 01-26-2019 at 12:46 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 01:32 AM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I, myself? No. But my family is usually taking me out to some special place to eat, drink and be merry.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
my mother to this day ….. still buys me a triple pepperidge farm coconut cake...

in years past....ive been known to eat the whole thing on the way home...

in the big picture...… rewarding with food...is probably part of the reason the u.s. is so obese...
food is also comfort therapy...

I would give my son … choices...what he would like for a birthday dinner/treat

Old 01-26-2019, 05:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times
Nowadays my birthday is just another day so i don't eat anything special. No one really celebrates it. A few family members call or send a card, some don't even do that. My husband usually gives me a card and a hug lol. I really don't want any reminder that I am getting older nor do I need a reminder of how unsocial I tend to be and lack of friends etc. Plus I dislike too much attention, but oddly find the lack of attention and popularity also defeating. I don't eat much when I am anxious or depressed and that day just seems to cause both for me. Sorry to be the downer.

When I was a kid up until I was 18 someone always made me a birthday cake or took me out to eat. My grandma ALWAYS celebrated every holiday and birthday occasion, and she made me feel so special. She was an incredible lady and I miss her terribly since she passed away. I still daydream about a reason to make a cake but can never seem to find one as even on holidays everyone seems to be on some fanatical diet and cake is like the worst sin lol. So I gave up on it a long time ago, but do admit I miss making cake. It's been soooo long since i made one or had any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink