Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
did not read all the replies but OP the first problem is you are going to chains. Chains really are the death of good eating. lol that's the one thing I hated about living in surburbia. everyone thought Olive gardens was "good" Italian.

I'm lucky in that I'm in Philly, you might get knifed if you came home with a papa johns pizza.

I agree with the previous posters, nothing, I mean nothing beats authentic pizza parlor pizza.

What gets me is that it's really not that much more expensive than frozen pizza. I once got a delgornia pizza, it ran me 6 bucks. 2 bucks more I could have gotten a pie from my local spot.
LMAO.

I got a Papa John's pizza when I first moved to the area where I am now. My landlord saw the box in the garbage and asked me why I bought it. I said I'd passed the place, had heard of the chain, and I was hungry. He said, 'Stewed tomatoes on sponge cake." I laughed so hard at the accuracy of the description.

Then he told me where to buy good pizza in town.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 939,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yes. Unfortunately since I live in a rural area outside the city we only have chains nearby. I can try my hand at making my own and if that is too labor intensive (I do some cooking and baking but I'm not terribly talented,) I can buy a decent frozen pizza and jazz it up if necessary.
Ok that explains it. Rural area, only chains nearby. It was like Why in the world would anyone go to a chain if there were mom and pops around with far, far, fresher and tastier pizza that don't charge extra for little cups of parmesan or pepper flakes?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Better off finding a pizzeria that makes better tasting pizza than the franchise places and you would buy one based on a great tasting pizza with the freshest ingredients!

There are certainly plenty of good, healthy frozen pizza options in the food stores today, thin crispy crust, thick crust or just about any other type you could think of.

Nothing beats a freshly made pizza from a really look local pizzeria❗️
Agreed 100%, but many here would gripe about the price. You get what you pay for.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
When I hear the term NY Style Pizza I roll my eyes. No way can anyone else replicate NY Pizza except Maybe New Jersey.
I used to say the same thing. North Eastern Ohio pizza is the same style and just as good.

I lived in PA for three years and the pizza there was really different. I learned that the Italian immigrants from NY/LI were from the same region, where as the ones in the part of PA where we lived were from Northern Italy.

Anyway, don't knock it until you try it. Y'town, Cleveland Pizza rocks.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
But yeah, there is just no way you can replicate NY style pizza in your home or in pretty much any other state for that matter. You just gotta go to NY to get the best pizza slice.
This simply isn’t true. You can replicate that style of pizza anywhere. The dough. The sauce. The oven. It’s chemistry.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Default Too hot to use oven?

"12 minute Southern Fried Pizza"
Put dough on cold cast iron skillet (well seasoned), let rise - as much as you want. (I like 2 - 3 hours - ethereal texture)

When ready - turn heat to high. First time, you'll need to keep watch until you get the timing. If you see / smell wisps of smoke, don't wait - time to flip!

My stove and pan cooks one side in 5:30 minutes.

Flip. Cook 1:10 minute. Turn off heat. Flip.

While still in the hot pan, sprinkle crust with shredded mozzarella cheese, cover and let melt (3 - 4 minutes).
Top with warm sauce. (If you use cold sauce it hardens the cheese).
{Oiling the skillet may give a "fried bread" flavor and a crunchy crust. Experiment. Have fun.}

*** Alternately: Can finish cooking under the broiler ***

Old 01-30-2019, 04:15 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Evil salsa pizza sauce :
Can crushed tomatoes,
add chopped onions, garlic, jalapeno pepper, salt, basil, spices, etc.
Raw or cooked, it's awesome.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:25 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I used to say the same thing. North Eastern Ohio pizza is the same style and just as good.

I lived in PA for three years and the pizza there was really different. I learned that the Italian immigrants from NY/LI were from the same region, where as the ones in the part of PA where we lived were from Northern Italy.

Anyway, don't knock it until you try it. Y'town, Cleveland Pizza rocks.
Indeed. Each geographical area is known for great food of one kind or another. So far in my experience, the Mexican/Tex-Mex here can't be beat anywhere else, and I have had it all across the country.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

My closest mom & pop Italian place has a $4.99 Tuesday eat-in pizza special where you have to order a beverage. I pretty much always order linguica & pineapple. Linguica is a Portuguese/Azores Islands smoked pork sausage with garlic, oregano, and paprika as the flavors. At that price point, making my own or lousy frozen pizza is kind of pointless.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those of you lucky enough to eat Chicago or New York style pizza, my hat is off to you. But what about the rest of us? Maybe it's just my area, but pizza chains have gone downhill. We ordered a Domino's pizza yesterday for pickup. The reason I quit ordering delivery is because of the nonsense "delivery fee" they started charging us years ago. What's this "delivery fee" anyway? The driver pays their own insurance. They pay their own car gas and maintenance on their vehicle. The only thing the pizza place pays is their salary, which is what they paid them before the delivery fee was instituted. After the delivery fee and tip, it adds $5 to the pizza cost of $20 max. I stopped going to Pizza Hut because they got my order wrong and Papa John's pizza is not good.

So I go to pick up the pizza and ask for Parmesan and pepper packets. The pizza place tells me that will be an extra charge; I don't get them free because they are a franchise. If I go to a corporate store, I can get them free however. "What if I had ordered for delivery? How would I have know you wouldn't have brought them to me?" I asked. Shrug. Closest corporate store is 30 minutes away. What's the point of ordering pizza from a pizza place? Is there any advantage? I might as well buy a frozen one and bake it at home. It's cheaper, often tastier, and I have to buy my own cheese and peppers anyway. Plus I don't have to pay extra for delivery. I get that restaurants are more expensive than eating at home and they have to make a profit but no other restaurant (that I know of) charges for the customer's first serving of condiments. I eat at restaurants a lot but sometimes the nickel and diming can really be annoying. Do your pizza places charge for cheese (if you go)? Do you ask for it?
There's a lot more out there than Domino's and Papa Murphy.

Most towns have an independent pizza place or two. There's Greek pizza places where I live. Both are independent, one run by Greek immigrants and their children. Excellent pizza.

And who says that Chicago and New York styles are the end-all? Some people may prefer them, but it's all a matter of taste - and there's a lot of great pizza beyond those places and styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink