Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
The only thing that I know about ground beef is this--I generally buy 90% lean ground beef at supermarkets, packed in the styro-foam & cello packages--is to check the "use-by" dates very carefully. I try to buy ones with the date a week off or so.

And I remember at Shaw's, they sold some brand of ground beef (besides their own store brand) that has a woman's name--I think I always had good luck with that. Also Trader Joe's--I think I had good luck with their ground beef.

The worst is buying a package of ground beef--getting it home --& it's kind of grey-ish inside (under the red).....
A week? Seriously? Ground meat should be consumed within one to two days of grinding:

https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/meatinrefrig.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Thanks, so I guess the question to my op is Yes...

Old 06-16-2019, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
The only thing that I know about ground beef is this--I generally buy 90% lean ground beef at supermarkets, packed in the styro-foam & cello packages--is to check the "use-by" dates very carefully. I try to buy ones with the date a week off or so.

And I remember at Shaw's, they sold some brand of ground beef (besides their own store brand) that has a woman's name--I think I always had good luck with that. Also Trader Joe's--I think I had good luck with their ground beef.

The worst is buying a package of ground beef--getting it home --& it's kind of grey-ish inside (under the red).....
THE womans name im guessing is laura lean....

its been in shaws and hannafords

fresh ground burger has a 3 day shelf life.(max)..under ideal conditions..most stores will only put 1-2 days shelf life...if longer...its been vacuum sealed or map packs (modified air packaging)

also if you see the greying under red outside.of burger ...its called oxidation.....the outside is red because of bloom when the red meat hits oxygen...and without oxygen. (the middle) the color of the meat will revert back to its original color.....

Old 06-16-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The "best quality meat" has trimmings. Do think they throw them away?
sam's club does......or they use to...they will throw away bench trimmings and use the tube burger from massive batches..... (for reason below)

one reason companies love to use this tube burger is that if anyone gets sick..they can point the finger to another company …..not themselves .. and therefore not liable to be sued

Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 PM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
I'm fortunate to live in an area where i DONT have to shop at Walmart for my groceries..

my small grocery store has a butcher, and he makes the absolute BEST italian sausage, and the ground beef is very good too...

i can't imagine ever buying meat at a Walmart... but glad i don't have to, i've heard a lot of areas don't have that choice.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
I'm fortunate to live in an area where i DONT have to shop at Walmart for my groceries..

my small grocery store has a butcher, and he makes the absolute BEST italian sausage, and the ground beef is very good too...

i can't imagine ever buying meat at a Walmart... but glad i don't have to, i've heard a lot of areas don't have that choice.

the smaller stores that still have a butcher......and meat markets
they still do the steak trimmings/primal fresh grinds

Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the smaller stores that still have a butcher......and meat markets
they still do the steak trimmings/primal fresh grinds

However, that all depends on the meat manager who is running the meat department.

We have a local IGA. Nearly all of the meat is Mexico sourced and ungraded. While they are more willing to cut the meat how you want it, you find that generally, they lack the skill and precision at times which results in steaks and chops of different thicknesses and the like.

As for ground beef and any sliced meats, I prefer to head to the local Asian markets. They grind/slice the meat in house and they immediately flash freeze it. The product is of much higher quality than supermarkets or the local IGA.

As for 90/10 ground beef, I will not use it as you need more fat to have the necessary flavor that I am looking for.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Kroger buys a lot of their meat from the same place as Walmart.

You're better off at a local meat market.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Where I am two small local chains that cut and packaged their own meat have recently been purchased by two European conglomerates that use prepackaged products for all but a very small percentage that one has at a full service, higher priced counter. One of the chains being taken over used mostly USDA Choice, the new owners use ungraded meat in their stores. There's nothing left in the way of supermarkets in the area; I think I'm doomed.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where I am two small local chains that cut and packaged their own meat have recently been purchased by two European conglomerates that use prepackaged products for all but a very small percentage that one has at a full service, higher priced counter. One of the chains being taken over used mostly USDA Choice, the new owners use ungraded meat in their stores. There's nothing left in the way of supermarkets in the area; I think I'm doomed.
the ungraded is often called no-roll … (carcass not rolled with a grade stamp)

a lot of Mexican beef has entered some retail stores and its tempting because its so cheap...its inspected by usda...but it is not graded.....most is called sukarne…(brand)
and for those that want very lean and cheap.... this is it......but with little marbling...its not choice.grade..it lacks flavor and tenderness.. also you can buy no-roll American beef ….its cheap....but its not consistent.....sometimes its pretty good marbling and sometimes...its very lean..

here's the difference.....say boneless choice grade rib eyes.. market price for wholesalers in the u.s...is 7.50lb … the ungraded/noroll/Mexican beef may cost 4.15lb for bnls rib eye ..

(the top 3 grades go prime, choice, and select...select being the leanest (and usually the cheapest) in the usa ... Canada grades are AAA AA and A triple A being the best

European conglomerates..... my old grocery store chain is now owned my European conglomerates... del haize/Ahold

they now own Hannaford, Food Lion and Stopnshop amongst others.....there's been a huge amount of consolidation in the last 15 years......on the retail and wholesale sides.

look around for any butcher shops or smaller iga's independents in the area …..
im sorry to hear the new owners....went with lower prices and compromised quality..

you can give them this valuable feedback to the new operators/owners they should listen to you ...or they will lose business ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink