Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Yes, it sounds weird; even unsustainable, but... I've been doing this as part of my new intermittent fasting routine (it's not a "diet"), and it's really given me a whole new appreciation for food! Whereas I used to eat out of habit, because it was time, because others were eating, because I was constantly hungry (fasting actually solves that problem), or just mindlessly out of boredom, I now feel both free from food and as if I'm really enjoying it in a whole new way. Within my eating window, I eat what I want and am having a ball anticipating and planning what my next day's meal will be. For now, I'm trying to clean out my fridge, freezer, and pantry, but as soon as my stockpile is gone, I'm going to have fun treating myself to one restaurant or fast food meal per day. What I save on grocery shopping should make up for the increased cost. Anyone else here a fan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 12:04 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I read about one meal a day just recently.
But it appears eating at least three times per day can keep you full and reduce hunger. This is good for weight loss and metabolism. Eating fewer than three times a day puts you at risk for overeating and choosing less healthy foods.
However, at the end of the day, the amount of calories you consumed is more important than when and how you consumed them. If you want to eat just one meal a day, and feel satisfied with it, it's your choice worth to try.

Personally, I am not a fan of eating in a restaurant once a day, every day. Not because of cost. I just want to know, exactly what's on my plate and where it came from. Just having one meal a day, and that meal from a restaurant, doesn't feel appealing.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What I save on grocery shopping should make up for the increased cost. Anyone else here a fan?
What concerns me is that my body will get used to the lower calorie counts and adjust down. But I may use this once I am done losing weight.

I am doing ADF Alternate Day Fasting. My hope is that eating to fullness every other day will stop thermogenic adaptation.

ADF also saves a ton on grocery shopping. And I love the work I get done on the fast days. Honestly eating is probably the reason for so many people suffering with fatigue.

Quote:
But it appears eating at least three times per day can keep you full and reduce hunger. This is good for weight loss and metabolism. Eating fewer than three times a day puts you at risk for overeating and choosing less healthy foods.
Actually I think you should look into the basis of one meal per day. It is to avoid the release of sugar and thereby insulin often. Releasing insulin too often leads to an increase in insulin and eventually metabolic problems. It also allows your body to enter ketosis for a long time. Which brings its own benefits. More recent studies have shown that insulin actually suppresses your metabolism and you burn less. And this has some objective proof as one of the first symptoms of type one diabetes (no insulin) is unwanted weight loss... and studies have been done showing that type 1 diabetics have a higher BMR than people who are not diabetic.

The Obesity Code and Diabetes Code are good books to read on this.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:48 PM

I can see there are some misconceptions floating around...

You eat your FULL DAY'S CALORIES in your OMAD; neither too few nor too many.

And it's eating frequently that makes you hungry; every time you eat (or drink anything but water and few other beverages), you spike insulin, which sets off cravings. The more frequent the meals, the more often you're hungry for the next. Fasting gives your hormones a chance to calm down and your insulin time to level out.

And finally, there is no "starvation mode" (a lower metabolism) because you're not starving; you're eating all your food for the day - that you would otherwise eat in 3 or more meals - in one window EVERY day. Metabolism doesn't slow until you've gone many days without eating OR when you consistently eat too few calories.

At any rate... I now CELEBRATE meal time and truly FEAST rather than just eating routinely and mechanically. I thought "Food and Drink" would find that appealing!

Old 03-19-2021, 12:51 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Not for me, I need breakfast & I'm hungry again when lunch comes around. I think, if I had to eat only one meal a day I'd eat too much, too fast, & that is not good either, but whatever works for you, go for it.

I am not a fan of eating out often either.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
And finally, there is no "starvation mode" (a lower metabolism) because you're not starving; you're eating all your food for the day - that you would otherwise eat in 3 or more meals - in one window EVERY day. Metabolism doesn't slow until you've gone many days without eating OR when you consistently eat too few calories.
No matter what imho for me, I find it impossible to eat all my calories at one meal. So I am definitely going to skimp.

I find a lot of people who do OMAD end up skimping and then get stuck due to adaptation.

But agree in theory you are supposed to eat all your calories in one meal. Just find it very hard to do.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:11 PM

I had all the same beliefs and feelings about it, but it really does "work" (I'm not hungry all the time, and I'm able to eat all my calories in one window - which, by the way, can be as long as four hours; think of it as a multi-course meal). But okay! I guess it's a weird concept for foodies..

Old 03-19-2021, 01:16 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I would claw someone's eyes out on only 1 meal a day..

Old 03-19-2021, 01:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
DOEsn't sound very healthy.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I had all the same beliefs and feelings about it, but it really does "work" (I'm not hungry all the time, and I'm able to eat all my calories in one window - which, by the way, can be as long as four hours; think of it as a multi-course meal). But okay! I guess it's a weird concept for foodies..
Oh well if the window can be four hours I have done that many times. I had thought it was a 1 hour window.

I routinely did 20:4 prior to Alternate Day fasting.

I have had such good results with fasting / time restricted eating.

- Fasting Insulin dropped from 13 to 5.
- A1c dropped from 5.7 to 5.2.
- I have a blood condition (MGUS) that improved massively doing this (I believe due to lack of inflammation).

And I truly enjoy it.

- When I do eat, the food tastes better.
- It is like a little game I play with myself so I am motivated.
- If I don't feel good and I want food I can eat.
- I get a ton of energy when fasting
- I feel smarter when fasting
- I save money on food.
- I free up so much time not having to buy food, cook it, or eat it.

I think foodies can do it too. Imagine going to try out a new restaurant and being able to consume 1000 to 1500 at your meal there... you get to have whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink