Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times

Advertisements

We just returned from Greece, and decided we like Greek coffee---except not overly sweet like some have it. We brought a couple packages back. It is ground VERY fine and you cook it on the stove (they use a long-handled implement, making one serving at a time). Kind of like cowboy coffee, so the grounds settle at the bottom.

Ever had it and do you like it?

We live in the land of coffee, but I think they export the best stuff. Not all that great, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 02:15 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Yes I lived on Crete for 6 months & loved the coffee. Similar to Turkish coffee. I was able to buy some Turkish coffee at a deli for a while, but they closed down.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Greek coffee or European style in general are very similar to espressos. Fine grind and cooked over pot and served without a paper filter.

I prefer Vietnamese style coffee over Greek or French. Less burnt taste than French and not as dark as Greek.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
I believe I went to some greek festival years ago …….and had some very strong coffee....I liked it

Old 07-04-2019, 04:44 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We just returned from Greece, and decided we like Greek coffee---except not overly sweet like some have it. We brought a couple packages back. It is ground VERY fine and you cook it on the stove (they use a long-handled implement, making one serving at a time). Kind of like cowboy coffee, so the grounds settle at the bottom.

Ever had it and do you like it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes I lived on Crete for 6 months & loved the coffee. Similar to Turkish coffee. I was able to buy some Turkish coffee at a deli for a while, but they closed down.
The first time I had unfiltered coffee as described in this thread was in Bratislava, Slovakia, then about five years later in Greece, both of which were at one time or another part of or influenced by the Ottoman Turkish empire.

It does taste great and packs a lot of energy. The downside, of course, is that it takes time and patience to prepare it properly, usually not in tune with today's fast-paced lifestyle in many places.

About two decades ago, then, I lived in Greece for about four years with people who used to make it everyday, but when I went to visit about five years ago even they stopped making it and opted for a more convenient French brew by machine.

Tasted awful.

I can't stand machine-ground and brewed filtered coffee anyway. On the other hand, freshly ground coffee filtered for hours through a cloth is delicious and feels healthy, I've had it in South America.

Presently for convenience sake, I drink a Cuba-inspired instant espresso made for the Miami market, strong but not too strong that I can't stand it without sugar so I drink it black and somewhat bitter, whereas the unfiltered Greek/Turkish coffee is so strong and bitter that I have to put at least a little bit of sugar: nowadays I drink it once a year at the Greek festival, but it is available in specialty "Middle Eastern"/Mediterranean/Greek stores.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink