Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:20 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
I think people just like to try other customs, to see how they work, feel, etc... Not a big deal.

I do find it odd though that some people I know switch hands to use their knives--not everyone, but many here in the States; I was taught to use my knife in the non-dominant hand, and I taught my kids how to use it too, but not because I thought the other method was wrong, just how I was taught.
I agree. Chopsticks are inefficient and don't make sense, just like American Currency is inefficient compared to international customs (ours is all green, the same size, relatively low use of coins.)

Regarding fork-and-knife etiquette, I was taught that "The American system doesn't make sense but we're in America and I won't have people thinking you were raised in a barn." Knife cuts with right hand, fork moves to right hand to eat.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I agree. Chopsticks are inefficient and don't make sense, just like American Currency is inefficient compared to international customs (ours is all green, the same size, relatively low use of coins.)
Huh? I don't agree with any of this. Chopsticks work perfectly for Asian food which was prepared with chopstick use in mind. I've never had any problem with American currency either, and I pay with cash all the time. Would much rather have ten $1 bills that fold up neatly than ten heavy $1 coins rattling around.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
This notion that Asian cuisine is "made for chopsticks" is inane. There's no food which can't be eaten using a fork or spoon.

It's a cultural thing--and they say so in China:

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/l...outputType=amp

Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Knife right, fork left
I'm flabbergasted. I've never heard of this American vs European way of eating. I just eat how I eat. I usually cut everything up at the start of the meal and put down the knife period.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This notion that Asian cuisine is "made for chopsticks" is inane. There's no food which can't be eaten using a fork or spoon.
Of course not. But many Asian cuisines are deliberately prepared in such a way that the food is easy to eat with chopsticks. In other words, it is already in bite-sized pieces and doesn't need to be cut up at the table. Western food is NOT prepared with this presumption.

No one said Asian food couldn't be eaten with silverware.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Huh? I don't agree with any of this. Chopsticks work perfectly for Asian food which was prepared with chopstick use in mind. I've never had any problem with American currency either, and I pay with cash all the time. Would much rather have ten $1 bills that fold up neatly than ten heavy $1 coins rattling around.
Yes, chopsticks work great for most asian food but a spoon works for nearly any food excepting tough meat requiring a knife - obviously utensils aren't entirely used for their "utility".

Old 06-24-2019, 04:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,689 times
I enjoy using chopsticks to eat and taught myself to use them eating spaghetti at home.

I think when eating out it is fun and part of the overall experience to enjoy a culture's food in the manner that members of the culture do. But for me eating out is more about an experience than about shoving food in as fast as I can.

Most chinese food here is not really what they eat in China anyway. Forget fried rice. Sticky rice is best for using chopsticks.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:29 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
There is a story that when forks were first introduced in western culture, some considered them "ungodly" because it was a change from eating with the hands that were given by the creator.

Stop and consider the issues that the blind have at meals. How does one know if food is actually on a spoon or fork? What is where on a plate?

Old 06-24-2019, 05:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Regarding fork-and-knife etiquette, I was taught that "The American system doesn't make sense but we're in America and I won't have people thinking you were raised in a barn." Knife cuts with right hand, fork moves to right hand to eat.
Chopsticks aren’t inefficient if you know how to use them. I find that they pick up small items better than an a fork, to be honest. Sometimes with salads there are items I cannot get with a fork but are easy to pick up with chopsticks.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Forget fried rice. Sticky rice is best for using chopsticks.
Because fried rice is usually made from the long grain Jasmine rice which is non-sticky. Sticky rice is the short grain.

In fact, even Asians vary in the way they eat rice. Chinese hold up the bowl and use chopsticks to scoop rice into their mouths. Japanese use chopsticks to pick up rice from the bowl. Koreans use spoon to eat rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink