Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM

21 posts, read 100,513 times

Advertisements

I am new to the US tipping system and would love some insiders tips on how it really works. I am from Scandinavia where we do not tip a lot in restaurants or hotels, and never ever at hair salons, spas, etc, mostly due to the fact that service professions earn ok wages over there. I find it very awkward tipping here and I would like how it should be properly done.

I have been told that tipping in restaurants here in the US should be between 10 and 20 %, depending on the level of service and my overall satisfaction. However, after peeking at other restaurant goers checks I have noticed that most people tend to tip very little. I have also been advised that I should tip 20 % when I get a haircut. Is this really normal? Please someone fill me in on how much I should really tip. I do not want to be cheap but I do not want to overpay either. Also, when I am not happy with a meal for instance, is it ok to not tip at all?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joden View Post
I am new to the US tipping system and would love some insiders tips on how it really works. I am from Scandinavia where we do not tip a lot in restaurants or hotels, and never ever at hair salons, spas, etc, mostly due to the fact that service professions earn ok wages over there. I find it very awkward tipping here and I would like how it should be properly done.

I have been told that tipping in restaurants here in the US should be between 10 and 20 %, depending on the level of service and my overall satisfaction. However, after peeking at other restaurant goers checks I have noticed that most people tend to tip very little. I have also been advised that I should tip 20 % when I get a haircut. Is this really normal? Please someone fill me in on how much I should really tip. I do not want to be cheap but I do not want to overpay either. Also, when I am not happy with a meal for instance, is it ok to not tip at all?
You are around some cheap people! For most, 15% is considered the "base" tip. I usually tip 20%, maybe more if the service and food is excellent and slightly less if its worse. I think most people have moved towards a base tip of 20% in recent years. 15-20% is also customary for a haircut.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
15% is supposed to be the base, but some people are really skimpy on tips and some are generous.

15% at restaurants. I'm not sure about other places.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Ehhh I dunno .... 15% is pretty tight for a restaurant - I'd go a little bit higher than that.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 PM

246 posts, read 873,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joden View Post

joden-

First, kudos to you for considering this social norm in America. Many who move here from foreign nations fail to realize that there are millions of people in the service industry who rely on tips, which are 75% of their income. They include college students, single moms and teenagers.

In a restaurant, standard tipping is 15% for OK service, 18% for good service and 20% for great service. If you don't like the meal, well that's not the server's fault, so you should still tip accordingly. I suggest you not eat the meal, call your server over and ask if there's anything else they can possibly make. Most restaurants will make you a new dish.

When getting a haircut (which costs me 12 bucks at the local barber) I usually tip 2 bucks. Obviously, the more expensive, the more you tip. Generally I don't tip more than 15% for a haircut.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
If you don't like the meal, well that's not the server's fault, so you should still tip accordingly. I suggest you not eat the meal, call your server over and ask if there's anything else they can possibly make. Most restaurants will make you a new dish.
I agree with this - poor food isn't associated with the server - poor service is a different story.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
poor service is a different story.
With terribly poor service, it is suggested to tip something tiny like 1 cent. it lets the server know that they were not deserving of a tip, but it's not because you forgot.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
I deliver pizzas part time and most people assume that if there food is wrong then it's my fault. Or if it's late it's my fault. Neither of those are true, I don't make the food. I get the food at a certain time and deliver it to its destination and if its late, more than likely the kitchen workers were behind. I know some people are just cheap. Usually tipping should be 15-20% like others said.

Also if your bill is lets say $19.63 and you hand someone a $20.00 and tell them to keep the change, that's crossing the line.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
15% for normal service.

20% for excellent service. That means being knowledgeable about the menu, keeping glasses filled, being attentive, and really contributing to the dining experience.

25% for service that borders on telepathic. Or hurrying up our order because we're trying to make a concert.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
15% for normal service.

20% for excellent service. That means being knowledgeable about the menu, keeping glasses filled, being attentive, and really contributing to the dining experience.

25% for service that borders on telepathic. Or hurrying up our order because we're trying to make a concert.
My sentiments exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink