Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:30 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times

Advertisements

This doesn't surprise me at all. Strawberry ice cream is widely available for the masses at a low price, without paying more for the designer varieties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 09:41 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. Strawberry ice cream is widely available for the masses at a low price, without paying more for the designer varieties.
Yes, exactly. But why strawberry and not other fruit flavors? Especially considering that most mainstream strawberries are pretty flavorless.

I already got some good answers upthread, but more is always good. Keep them coming.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:14 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Yes, exactly. But why strawberry and not other fruit flavors? Especially considering that most mainstream strawberries are pretty flavorless.
Because it's what people like and has proved to be popular. The same reason vanilla and chocolate I've cream are available just about everywhere, they're popular flavors.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:29 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
As a kid, I used to ask my parents that question. Why was there Strawberry and Chocolate Nestles Quik, but no cherry or banana? Why is there strawberry and chocolate powder to mix with milk and not banana or raspberry? The same with syrup? Vanilla Quick and syrup is more recent. Other flavors are also more recent. Strawberry and chocolate have been around for years and years. It's all artificially flavored with lots of sugar so I don't see how it is more difficult to manufacture blueberry syrup or raspberry quik or other fruit flavored powders to combine with milk. Yet somehow, strawberry became a "standard" flavor for syrup, ice cream, and flavored powdered mix.

On the other hand, where are the strawberry Italian ices? IT's always rainbow, or cherry, or chocolate, or watermelon, or lemon. But rarely, strawberry, unless you go to a "gourmet" ices stand.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:52 PM

17,747 posts, read 9,202,314 times
I am a big fan of Black Raspberry ice cream.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:59 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
As a kid, I used to ask my parents that question. Why was there Strawberry and Chocolate Nestles Quik, but no cherry or banana? Why is there strawberry and chocolate powder to mix with milk and not banana or raspberry? The same with syrup? Vanilla Quick and syrup is more recent.
Banana Nequik actually used to be around, but was discontinued. I think it has to do with flavor compatibility with milk/dairy. After all, most smoothies contain banana. As for raspberry or cherry, those are acidic flavors. And acids make milk curdle. Although if you used only artificial flavors, there would be no acids to speak of. So it's kind of a mystery; it's why I started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
On the other hand, where are the strawberry Italian ices? IT's always rainbow, or cherry, or chocolate, or watermelon, or lemon. But rarely, strawberry, unless you go to a "gourmet" ices stand.
Now, this is even more of a mystery. But perhaps these acidic flavors are fully compatible with plain ice, since there is no dairy that could curdle. And all the strawberry flavorings went to ice cream manufacturers, leaving none for Italian ices.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:01 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because strawberries and cream are an outstanding flavor combination.

Some fruits don't go great with cream ( apples, watermelon). Some don't freeze well. Some go great with cream only when fresh but not after being preserved ( peaches)

Up until recently, blueberries were expensive, and they stain.

For the less expensive ice creams, artificial strawberry flavor still tastes like strawberry and still tastes good with cream.... er, milk, in the cheap ice creams.
I disagree about the peaches. Mom canned and froze peaches, and we made peach ice cream every summer.
This was in PA.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:37 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
When I was growing up - 1960s - the basic flavors were always "Vanilla Chocolate and Strawberry.
Of course other flavors were available, but those were the basics.

In terms of fruit flavors, I think peach was always popular, and banana, to a somewhat lesser extent. Cherry Vanilla is another oldie - but the ice cream is not fruit flavored.

Why strawberry? I think it could be that strawberries are available fresh at a certain time of year that many people have happy associations with - late spring, early summer.
When ice cream became popular and available because of the advent of freezers, out of season fruit was not as readily available as it is today.

Also, strawberries do not can well. Unlike pineapple, peaches and many other fruits, strawberries were probably a rarity in the middle of winter. So, strawberry ice cream filled the craving for many people.

That's my guess.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I have wondered about this same thing. I think that banana might have a running chance to be #4.
Maybe it's because strawberry is not as tart, and so it goes better with cream.
Another question is, why are there no strawberry pies? I've never seen one. Yet, you can hardly walk a block without seeing a ton of cherry and blueberry pies for sale.

This thread is making me hungry for neopolitan ice cream. I can't eat plain strawberry or chocolate ice cream. Yet I love neopolitan.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:21 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I have a funny story about home made strawberry ice cream. My brother and some friends decided to make some at my parents' house one weekend. One of his friends liked to "experiment" with food colorings from time to time. "Let's see what a couple drops of this will do." "Okay let's try adding a couple drops of THIS color." By the time he finished, that was the blackest strawberry ice cream we had ever seen. Tasted great, as long as we didn't look at it when we ate it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink