Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
When comparing the price of bone-in vs boneless steak and roasts, how much on a percent basis does the bone weigh in the cut of meat? Is there a rule of thumb ratio/proportion when comparison pricing bone-in vs boneless roasts? For example, if a bone-in ribeye roast is priced at $7.99lb, what should the boneless ribeye roast be priced at equivalently?
Regardless, at $7.99 a lb bone in is well worth it compared to rib roast prices most places this year and, as
dogboa said bone in meat tastes so much better than boneless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Bone-in is not better than boneless. Just make sure that there is nice marbling.
The marbling is important but I think many would argue about the flavor of bone in versus boneless.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Well there is one cut that has flavor and no bones. Yes that delicious brisket has become so well known the price and skyrocketed in the market places. From a $20 bill for an average packer brisket to $75 and more. It has the needed fat to be moist and I break the rule of slow and low and grill hot and fast to medium well in the thicker sections and then slice as deli thin as possible and stack it high on a good bun. Never had a complaint.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
In general I like bone in cuts for chops or steaks. I think the flavor is better.

But I’ve cooked plenty of boneless roasts.

The butchers now cut out the bones and sell them for animal feed, I think. Someone correct me if my memory is incorrect.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The marbling is important but I think many would argue about the flavor of bone in versus boneless.
If you do boneless then adding butter and seasoning is important to the steak. With a cowboy steak with a bone-in. When you cook it, the bone marrow and fats have butter flavor inside. Which is why I tend to carve the steak around the bone to get the fats and tendons out. There's so much texture and flavor especially if the steak was broiled.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I’ve been a butcher 35 yrs
It’s been well accepted and preached -
Much more flavor with bone and some fat
I’ve never heard anyone say what the op
Is saying

Many of us will be roasting a prime rib roast
This Christmas - try one of the rib bones
Eat the meat off those bones one of the best
Flavors on the critter
We always enjoy the ribs after dinner is over. Our daughter has an awesome recipe for prime rib soup. She just made the recipe up years ago. Every year we make it after the holidays. the bones are what make the flavor. I have problems understanding why people always want to buy and fix meat without the bones. I will buy boneless chicken breasts on occasion but not often.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
What percent of a bone-in ribeye roast will be bone and fat vs edible meat?
It is the bone and fat that adds flavor to meats. You certainly do not eat the fat or most people do not, but it does add moisture and flavor while cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink