Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:37 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Just went and double checked the one in my freezer and the Portobello goat's cheese ravioli is vegetarian, no where close to vegan with the cheese but there is nothing meat based in the ingredient list. They also have bean and cheese burritos that I have had too and they are good but much easier to microwave than to cook traditionally.

Pierogies are great, seems like every culture has some sort of stuffed pasta thing and I love them all.

Thanks. Scottish pasties? That's what the pierogies description reminded me of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Perhaps it would be easier if you Google your city and get a list of grocery stores there, then post that list on this thread. It would give us an idea what vegetarian dishes/sides you could get in those stores and we will help you with that.

I almost can guarantee that every single dish that is labeled to be warmed up in a microwave could be warmed using other means - a pan, an oven or steamed over a pot with cooking water. There is absolutely no need to eliminate those frozen entrees.
Just found this link: (hopefully helpful)
https://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/b...t-a-microwave/

Microwave ovens aren't expensive anymore - about $45 at Walmart and maybe cheaper at the discount stores.

Also refer to this thread you started - many answers there:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/food...microwave.html

Good morning elnina. First question is answered elsewhere. Second: Right. I am learning that. Except those steamables. There is something about how they are packed. It's been a while since I accidentally bought one but it threw me. I gave it to a neighbor. Third. It isn't cost on the microwave. There is no room for one in my kitchen and I do fine without it. --- until I want a baked potato NOW. <g.>

Have a good day.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I wouldn't heat anything in the original package. Open it, remove the content and re-heat using one of the above methods.

I get it about the microwave and I agree, it's not a necessity.
You can make a perfect baked potato in the oven. In fact, I never did it in a microwave...

Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I wish I didn't have a microwave, but I think it would be difficult to sell a house without one. I need to replace ours, so I think I am going to go with a microwave convection oven with a powerful hood, so at least it's useful.

Anyways, back to the OP's question. Do you have Fresh Market in your area? I have noticed ours has a good selection of vegetarian frozen entrees from several brands.

I also agree with the idea of pierogies. They are delicious and a great option for you.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I wish I didn't have a microwave, but I think it would be difficult to sell a house without one. I need to replace ours, so I think I am going to go with a microwave convection oven with a powerful hood, so at least it's useful.

Anyways, back to the OP's question. Do you have Fresh Market in your area? I have noticed ours has a good selection of vegetarian frozen entrees from several brands.

I also agree with the idea of pierogies. They are delicious and a great option for you.

I don't know about Fresh market. Seems to be that is the new one south of here - the one where they put the front door on the back of the building. No one uses it. :-)

Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I don't know about Fresh market. Seems to be that is the new one south of here - the one where they put the front door on the back of the building. No one uses it. :-)

Probably a diff store. I've never seen one with a front door on the back of the building

Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Probably a diff store. I've never seen one with a front door on the back of the building

My apologies. I should have explained. A neighbor and I call it a store with its front door on the back of the store because the side that faces Lindbergh looks like the back of a building; yet it has a door right in the center. I am not sure you can even get in that way. We actually had to drive around to the opposite side to go in -- if we had wanted to go in. We were just looking.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:27 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Thanks. Scottish pasties? That's what the pierogies description reminded me of.
Not at all. Scottish pasties are in a crust, like a pie or tart crust, aren't they?

Perogies (actually, perogi is technically the plural but nobody says that lol) are like noodle material cut into circles then filled with potato and cheese on one side and then the circle is folded over to make these half-moon shaped things. They are sold frozen, and you boil them first then saute them in butter. You eat four or five or six at a time, preferably with sauteed onions and sour cream.

I didn't grow up knowing anything about them and was middle-aged before I ever had any, but I love them.

Nowadays you can get all different types that are definitely not like the original Eastern European perogies, such as spinach and feta, but they're all good.

If you can find someone who makes them homemade, it's even better.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not at all. Scottish pasties are in a crust, like a pie or tart crust, aren't they?

Perogies (actually, perogi is technically the plural but nobody says that lol) are like noodle material cut into circles then filled with potato and cheese on one side and then the circle is folded over to make these half-moon shaped things. They are sold frozen, and you boil them first then saute them in butter. You eat four or five or six at a time, preferably with sauteed onions and sour cream.

I didn't grow up knowing anything about them and was middle-aged before I ever had any, but I love them.

Nowadays you can get all different types that are definitely not like the original Eastern European perogies, such as spinach and feta, but they're all good.

If you can find someone who makes them homemade, it's even better.

I did a search and we have a number of restaurants that make perogies and sell them as take-outs. One I remember in Nonna's, an Italian restaurant. No, those aren't really pasties. Pasties are larger and have to abide by one rule. They must be made in a way to last several days as they were originally made for travelers to carry along on journeys - horseback journeys. There is a brand on the market today that reminds me of them. Can't name it right now.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
My apologies. I should have explained. A neighbor and I call it a store with its front door on the back of the store because the side that faces Lindbergh looks like the back of a building; yet it has a door right in the center. I am not sure you can even get in that way. We actually had to drive around to the opposite side to go in -- if we had wanted to go in. We were just looking.

If it is an actual Fresh Market store (which is a really nice store) it is worth your time to check out. However, looking at a store locator it does not appear Fresh Market is in St. Louis.

I had a friend who couldn't tolerate meat either. My favorite dish to make for her was a butternut lasagna. I think that's still my favorite meatless dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink