Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 10:30 AM

560 posts, read 581,679 times

Advertisements

For those who practice this, what take out foods have you had the most success in freezing then thawing, reheating without losing much quality/taste?

Usually when I get take out and have leftovers they go into the fridge and will usually be gone within a week. Some of my favorite restaurants are out of delivery range and/or with shelter in place restrictions, I thought maybe this could be an option.

It would be nice if you're craving your favorite pizza, burger etc you can walk into your kitchen and have access to a couple slices of pizza or other favorite take outs.

If you practice freezing take out or even food you prepared yourself, which types of foods have you had the most success with and what techniques have you used for best results?

Last edited by RockyCity; 04-28-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
For those who practice this, what take out foods have you had the most success in freezing then thawing, reheating without losing much quality/taste?

Usually when I get take out and have leftovers they go into the fridge and will usually be gone within a week. Some of my favorite restaurants are out of delivery range and/or with shelter in place restrictions, I thought maybe this could be an option.

It would be nice if you're craving your favorite pizza, burger etc you can walk into your kitchen and have access to a couple slices of pizza or other favorite take outs.

If you practice freezing take out or even food you prepared yourself, which types of foods have you had the most success with and what techniques have you used for best results?
We freeze all sorts of take out, just as we do home cooked from scratch. I guess number 1 would be chicken, followed by pizza. I do have to admit we do not like somethings as well as others: it is hard to get a nice crispy crust on pizza and I have tried every suggested to me. Fish if there is any left freezes up well Chinese not so much.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:19 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
The foods we've been freezing successfully from take out have been lasagne/baked pastas and enchiladas, which is not surprising to be since both are essentially casseroles. The home cooked dishes we've been freezing are mostly chilis, soups and a chicken dish or two.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
There's a place here that makes excellent empanadas, and they are great for freezing and reheating. I'm about due to place an order for a few dozen.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:49 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
It's easy to freeze pizza - wrap each slice in foil, put them in a freezer bag. When you want, put them frozen into the toaster oven (in my case, I don't use the large oven much) and reheat just as you do w/regular frozen pizza you get from the supermarket.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:19 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We freeze all sorts of take out, just as we do home cooked from scratch. I guess number 1 would be chicken, followed by pizza. I do have to admit we do not like somethings as well as others: it is hard to get a nice crispy crust on pizza and I have tried every suggested to me. Fish if there is any left freezes up well Chinese not so much.
OT - let it almost defrost then off to the air fryer:>) I made a dozen mini pizzas for quick lunches. Works fine.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Pizza, fried chicken.

I really do not do carry-out more than about twice a year as it is easier to cook at home from scratch. Scratch cooking tastes a lot better.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:32 PM

560 posts, read 581,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Pizza, fried chicken.

I really do not do carry-out more than about twice a year as it is easier to cook at home from scratch. Scratch cooking tastes a lot better.
Prior to coronavirus I used to get take out on a regular basis, since then its become rare. Although I do cook meats, beef, chicken and pork and make a lot of pasta type dishes, my cooking really isn't that sophisticated, thus an old favorite take out seems like a nice option. Buy extra, have some then, then in a few days later again . Plus I'm hoping some of these favorite establishments don't close down due to this crisis. A lot of these places are practicing social distancing service which is encouraging.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Pizza that's about it, otherwise I don't freeze take out. I think it tastes better fresh. The only home cooked food I freeze are sauces, soups and chili.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:39 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Pizza that's about it, otherwise I don't freeze take out. I think it tastes better fresh. The only home cooked food I freeze are sauces, soups and chili.
Same here.
And I actually enjoy reheated pizza more because I add my garden basil and parmesan cheese, pepperoni or sauteed mushrooms to refresh it. And I get it wonderfully crispy and melty by first thawing then reheating in a skillet on very low.
Put a pat of butter under the slice for a touch of true decadence, seal the pan with a glass cover and BE PATIENT until the slice looks almost ready to bubble and the aroma proves irresistible.
Check the dough to make sure you're not burning it but unless it gets totally black you'll be fine.
Remember, low and slow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink