Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
It's our turn to host hubby's poker buddies. Which includes feeding them. I am banned from the premises so it's got to be something easily manageable for kitchen challenged hubby.

We've done cold cuts plates for sandwiches with bags of chips, etc. SEVERAL TIMES. Lately, other hosts have done pulled pork, chili and pizza delivery.

I suggested a baked ziti with meatballs, and received a swift reply of "No, that's too fancy."

I thought about enchilada's, but I'm wiling to bet that I'll be told that it's not 'guy food.'

Anybody have any ideas? I'm inches away from getting cold cuts and buns again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Go have fun with your girlfriends and tell him he can order pizza delivery for his buddies

He shot down your initial graceful offer ziti with meatballs ... let them fend for themselves now

Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Go have fun with your girlfriends and tell him he can order pizza delivery for his buddies

He shot down your initial graceful offer ziti with meatballs ... let them fend for themselves now
I kinda feel the same way. Until I figure out how much that's gonna cost us versus the cold cuts. . .

Old 09-29-2017, 04:16 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I kinda feel the same way. Until I figure out how much that's gonna cost us versus the cold cuts. . .
Couple large pizzas delivered is $25-30

You will spend close to that by the time you buy a couple pounds of good cold cuts - cheese crackers bread etc ...

Let them fend for themselves

When my buddies and I get together for poker rotating houses ( same thing ) The wife units are NEVER involved in meal prep. They have a free pass for a big girls nite out and they are nowhere to be seen all night

Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Sliders. Any kind of meat.
Fajita tacos. Taco bar.
Brownies
Fried chicken -tater salad- baked beans
Kebobs. Meat and veggies .
Nuts, popcorn, candy
Pita, falafel, hummus, veggies
Beef hotdogs- several toppings available-
Chips, beer.
Hamburgers &Fries.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Fried chicken and sides sounds good.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Get 2-3 slabs of ribs. Cut into 2 rib sections. Put in crock pot. Pour in a bottle or 2 of BBQ sauce. Cook.
Get one of those large, party size trays of Stauffer's Mac & cheese as a side.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:44 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Wings. Do a few types maybe...some with BBQ sauce. Some with hot sauce. Depending on the guys' tastes, I know that a lot of guys like super hot wings. It's some weird macho thing.

I like the idea of a taco bar.

A couple of different types of sliders with chips and candy.

Chili bar.

Random simple appetizers...cocktail meatballs, pigs in a blanket, a tray with cheese, crackers and deli meat...

Hot dog bar. I've read about making hot dogs in a crock pot and keeping them in it to keep them warm. Haven't tried personally.

Meatball subs.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Get 2-3 slabs of ribs. Cut into 2 rib sections. Put in crock pot. Pour in a bottle or 2 of BBQ sauce. Cook.
Get one of those large, party size trays of Stauffer's Mac & cheese as a side.
I LOVE this.

You could also buy a big tub of frozen Italian Beef (you have to let it thaw of course), dump in crockpot and warm it up (you don't want to "cook" it, just warm it up), do a pan of sauteed green peppers and onions, get a jar of sport peppers, some mozzarella or provolone, some buns and a bowl of chips as a side. They can make their own. I did this once for everyone when we moved once - I used the stove though for the meat because I hate my crockpot - the kitchen stuff is always the last thing packed in the vehicles so it's first thing out. The food was really appreciated - and I didn't have to help move furniture!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
There’s no logic to it, but I can’t imagine anything involving forks at a poker night. It’s just don’t seem right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink